My surname's Thorpe.................my mum & dad often joked about auntie Mable......................but no one ever talked much about cousin Theddle, I often wondered why.................until I found out he'd gassed his'sen...................

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Men may come and men may go but Mablethorpe goes on for ever. (Apologies to Alfred L T) All your memories resonate with me too. Remember the little boating lake with hand cranked paddle boats? An

I recall my first family holiday, was at Mablethorpe, Golden Sands Caravan Park - it must have been around 1963 - not sure, I was very young. We would go every year and meet up with the same families

This photograph was taken around 1946 when we were at Sutton on Sea or Mablethorpe.  I was told by dad  that the defences were up to stop those nasty Germans getting into Britain!   For several y

Its not the same without the quick draw cowboy!

I drove through Mabo the other week.

Can anyone tell me where is the best place to eat round there?

Who does the best fish and chips, preferably either not requiring a mortgage!

I'm trying to discover if a particular café I used as a mod is still in Mabo. Trouble is, I can't remember where it was. I shall have to go to google maps and see if I can jog my memory.

one of the cafes we use is the one up top end next to mobility shop and for some reasoncarnt think of its name might be daves good tradional english food meat and too veg for a resonable pricebecause of all the rain we had this year we have not been so far this year. best fish and chips used to be side st neat the fulbeck pub or near the old cinema on the way to golden sands dont know if thats still the case thoughnot had fish and chips in mable thorpe for years now. and i still love going there.

I agree with Stu on this one, Mablethorpe is a nice quiet place to spend a few hours or even a few days, nice long clean beaches, not over crowded, just the right amount of amusements in the town and not too many theme type pubs/clubs, alright you can't rely on the weather but who cares, your'e on holiday, enjoy it, I remember when I was a nipper going there for the annual holday, spend all day on the beach, a picnic of chicken sandwiches with obligatory sand in them, back to the caravan for tea and a change of clothes and spend the next few hours around the town on the slot machines, a lemonade round the back of some pub, call in the chip shop on the way back to the "van", always have fond memories of my dad trying to light the gas lights in the van when they would go with a "POP" and gradually hiss themselves into life, and the smell of the burnt gas, windows steaming up when the place got a bit warmer, off to bed (an adventure in itself seeing the table and seats metamophasise into a bed) to dream about what to do on the beach again tomorrow, Yes Stu it's a shame those days can't come back when our expectations of a holiday were much simpler unlike today when greed and oneupmanship take priority

Rog

• Upvote 3

There use to be a café on Seaholme Road just, I think, seaward of the caravan site on the left as you look towards the sea. Anyone have a clue what it was called?

Something for Jimmy87 to look out for:

In late summer 1968 my wife-to-be and I were at Mablethorpe when she decided that we should get engaged. We bought a cheap ring in Mabo, (I was an apprentice at the time so I didn't have much money) and went for a walk along the sands. On the sands, at the foot of the sea wall just below the amusement park Helter Skelter, she buried her grandma's ring for luck and replaced it with her new engagement ring. The following spring she decided that she would like to go and find the ring and reclaim it. Of course we couldn't find it, the winter storms will have washed it away, but we had an enjoyable day out on the beach looking for it. A pity there were no commercial metal detectors in those days . We were married for thirteen years before she ran away with the milkman - yes, it's true!

• Upvote 1

fond memories of my dad trying to light the gas lights in the van when they would go with a "POP" and gradually hiss themselves into life, and the smell of the burnt gas, windows steaming up when the place got a bit warmer, off to bed (an adventure in itself seeing the table and seats metamophasise into a bed) to dream about what to do on the beach again tomorrow, Yes Stu it's a shame those days can't come back when our expectations of a holiday were much simpler unlike today when greed and oneupmanship take priority

Rog

You paint some evocative images there, Rog. Perhaps there is something about those holidays in places like Mablethorpe that lives on fondly in many people's memories. Perhaps that's why we sometimes go back now to get a taste of that...

I didn't go on full-blown holidays there as a kid but mainly some memorable day trips. Our family came from up north and would go back there in the summer for a break - often ironically at Portobello - a little seaside place by Edinburgh and just up the road from where our family came from, Musselburgh. Being born a seaside lad - and the beach was just at the end of the street for me - I think never leaves you. It might be why I enjoy places like Mablethorpe.

:) Plantfit #34, what lovely memories you evoke: "the gas lights in the van when they would go with a "POP" ...............(gave you a tick)

:) There's absolutely nothing wrong with Mablethorpe apart from the 'High Street' which needs modernising; to say that it's "scruffy" would be kind!

I travelled to Mablethorpe last year, did the journey on my bus pass.

When in Mablethorpe I'd missed the local 'freebie' bus, so decided to walk to my destination. After the shock of the High Street, I ventured into the sand hills on my way to the 'Golden Sands' - of old - caravan park.

It was a lovely sunny day and the fresh air up in the sand hills was exhilarating. As I walked along I had a bird's eye view of the parallel roads of Mablethorpe, packed with neat bungalows and the local school with its huge, green playing field; the landscape made a memorable walk.

Of course, caravanning depends on good weather. Years ago when cars were few and the weather was inclement, the family would catch a bus out to Skegness. The trip was long and winding yet relaxing. It was lovely sitting on top of the double decker, viewing other caravan sites and the stops at the fascinating, tiny villages of Chapel St Leonards and Ingoldmells.

Mablethorpe on a glorious sunny day - when we are lucky enough to get them! - as well as all the other East Coast seaside villages (all in close proximity to each other) cannot be beaten for good, fresh air and beautiful beaches. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Like a lot of people from Nottingham i spent summer holidays in Mablethorpe, always on Victoria Rd, opposite The Eagle, (probably Dads choice), loved going the bottom of the garden, through the hedge and out on to Queens park, up onto the front and walk into town, a few holiday shillings burning a hole in my pocket to spend as i wanted, the arcades being the first stop, sizing up the penny cascades to see where i could win a few extra coppers, did'nt happen very often. I loved coming to Mabo, even told my Mum i would live here one day.

In 2004 my present wife and myself decided to have a bit of an adventure, so we sold up and moved to the village of Pruna in Andalucia, we returned in 2009 and stayed at North Somercotes, (the place to be in Nov-Jan when the seals are ashore giving birth and breeding) raw nature at its best. After the death of my wifes Mother it was decided by me (i think) to move to Mabo, been here for just over two years and i still love it. The town does need dragging, kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but not to much. Ive been on the front when kids race up onto the prom and just stop and stare at the sea the sand and the donkeys, probably much like we did years ago. The Leicester Childrens Home on Quebec Rd is still in use in the summer, introducing more children to the delights of the English seaside.

Well thats my twopennorth for now.

• Upvote 1

We were Sutton-on-Sea folks! We were very rarely taken to the "bright lights" places like Mablethorpe, or Skeggy. I used to think it was because my dad hated such places, but in retrospect I think it may be that my parents simply did not have the money to allow three kids free-reign there, so we simply did not go!

Not much in the way of arcades in Sutton, Eric.

I much prefer Sutton too. A bit quieter and more family-oriented (apart from the above!)

Nice walks down to Sandilands.

The Beach Bar.

The Dolphin for fish and chips!

Cannae whack it!

As a kid living in the Meadows almost everyone went to the East coast for a holiday. Thats probably because it was the nearest place to the seaside. The previous posts have all added something to jog my memory of holidays there. Mostly we stayed in caravans but sometimes it was in boarding houses. I remember once, in 1958, stopping at a place called Trusthorpe Hall that had a swimming pool. I've a couple of photos on my computer of my family at the pool. Living in a street with an outside toilet and no bathroom it was just a thrill to go to these places and spend the first few hours 'exploring' the place. When your Mum and Dad took you for your first visit to the beach how thrilled and excited you were as you looked out at the vastness of the sea and wishing your parents would hurry up as they struggled behind you with all the gear. As you got onto the beach and rolled around in the sand you had the manic urge to race down to the sea as would a new born turtle. All you could hear as you ran to the water was your Mum shouting out for you to be careful. Many years later as a foster parent I'd call out the same thing and always I'd think of my Mum. I've mentioned before how I bought a minibus and would fill it with mine and other foster kids and go to Mablethorpe etc. I'd hire a beach chalet for the day so that we could cook the grub and have a cuppa as the kids played on the beach and in the sea. My wife would be the cook as I kept an eye on the kids. I'd look out at the sea, as I did as a kid, and let the thousands of thoughts run through my head. There's something about the sea that lets your hopes and dreams manifest in your mind. All the way to Mablethorpe and all the way back home the kids would be singing their heads off. I never intended my post to be so long but you cannot hold back the memories as they come flooding back. One last thing, isn't it strange how the seaside fish and chips taste ten times better than those at home.

• Upvote 2

I recall staying at Sutton for only one holiday, usually it was Mablethorpe ( we had relatives that owned a bungalow in St Andrews Road) , then later years in Ingoldmells where we owned our own caravan (posh eh?), in Sutton we stayed on a chalet park that had a Radio Mast in the middle of it, I think also had radio in it's title, may have been in Trusthorpe??

I've always loved Mablethorpe, but when I return now I'm always dissappointed to find less nice places & more 'tat' shops, but perhaps I have the rose tinted on again??

Never went to Mablethorpe for holidays as my dad worked on the railway, so we went a lot farther than most of my school friends - Penzance was a favourite as you couldn't get much farther than that! But I remember a day trip to Mablethorpe - must have been about 1953. The weather was not wet, but it was overcast with a mean wind off the North Sea! Recall the excitement of being at Victoria station before 8 o clock in the morning - a couple of hundred people waiting on platform 7 and surging forward as the train swept in from Derby, already two-thirds full - sitting jammed between mum and dad; seeing Boston stump in the distance, then as everyone says - the sudden view of the sea as you went up the "Pullover". Later, on a scorching hot day around 1958, went from Cleethorpes in my uncle's car - a 1936 Ford 8. Mum's childhood memories of Mablethorpe were a bit jaundiced - she reckoned whenever you dug in the sand you dug up somebody else's tea-leaves ! Apparently it was much better at Ingoldmells or Sutton on Sea.

in Sutton we stayed on a chalet park that had a Radio Mast in the middle of it, I think also had radio in it's title, may have been in Trusthorpe??

Paulus re #45, would that be radio saint Peters?

Yes, reckon that was the name of it. Around the Trusthorpe area half way up the road between Sutton and Mablethorpe. Think there was/is a caravan park there called Greenfield. The next park down was Sutton Springs

When I was a kid and holidaying on the East Coast I remember making special trips out from Ingoldmells, just to have a go on the 'Crazy Golf' at Sutton on Sea. It was a real treat. The game was there for years, in the same place (not far from the paddling pool).

Later as an adult, I regarded its demise as an act of sacrilege.

Anyone remember the wonderful 'Crazy Golf' outside the 'Vine Hotel' at Chapel St Leonards? It almost covered the whole of the green. :)