WOW! I had forgotten about the sand train. My fondest memory of Mabo has to be arriving at the station on a train from Daybrook, Nottingham in the 1950s. Everywhere was bustling and the sea, sand and cafés were all full to bursting point. wonderful days for we kids.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Men may come and men may go but Mablethorpe goes on for ever. (Apologies to Alfred L T) All your memories resonate with me too. Remember the little boating lake with hand cranked paddle boats? An

I recall my first family holiday, was at Mablethorpe, Golden Sands Caravan Park - it must have been around 1963 - not sure, I was very young. We would go every year and meet up with the same families

This photograph was taken around 1946 when we were at Sutton on Sea or Mablethorpe.  I was told by dad  that the defences were up to stop those nasty Germans getting into Britain!   For several y

:ohmy: Re: Sophia Loren @ #150; wasn't she an Italian STAR? :mellow:

One of the greats! Widely recognised as the most awarded Italian actress, including an Academy Award. Still alive at 78 and aging gracefully.

Sophia-Loren-quote.jpg

• Upvote 1

I note that the current issue of Bygones contains a picture of Mabo in the 1953 floods.

Don't forget my stick of rock, Compo. When I went to Mablethorpe, as a young lad, one of the things I had to do was take my friends a stick of rock back. It was supposed to come out of my spending money but I knew how to get round my Mum...lol.

• Upvote 1

I have a somewhat hazy memory of my first holiday to Mabo in about 1951. We had hired a caravan for the week and as you had to take all your own bedding as well as holiday togs, without the convenenience of own transport, Mum and Dad took the luggage to Rainbow Transport office (Parliament St) and we collected this from their depot in Mabo upon arrival. I don't remember having to change trains between Vic and Mabo, was there a direct line at the time?

My task during the week was to fetch the water from the communal tap in an enamelled jug that was about as big as I was at the time. I really felt that I was making a vital contribution to the holiday.

Returned to Mabo in the early 70's when Father in Law bought a caravan and had it sited at Golden Sands park. We made our first trip on the weekend that it had been delivered to site, but arrived on the Friday evening complete with 8 month old twins to find that it was still in the main car park and had not been sited on the pitch reserved, so we spent a fairly uncomfortable night parked outside the bars and cafe with the attendant comings and goings of campers as happy as newts to and from the bogs all night!

Mid 50s at Mablethorpe,Me and my older brother Randy on the Left along with my Nan then my Mum and two stepbrothers.We had some great Holidays on the Lincolnshire Coast in the 50s.Always seemed to be hot weather back then.29a74e74-aa8f-485f-b589-e0ec5d916655.jpg

Mabo could be reached by train from either north or south in 1951. From Nottingham Victoria there was a selection of available routes for excursion trains.

yes always straight through on the train till 1959 at least re always hot at mablethorpe? it was probably cooler then nottm? but long have had theory that rise in skin cancer cases caused by clean air act! as kids we could spend the 7 week school holiday stripped to waist, shorts on etc playing in nottm and never need the calamine lotion! but at few days at mabo or anywhere away from factory chinmeys, coal fires etc and we'd get sunburnt!

• Upvote 2

WE ALWAYS GOT ON THE TRAIN AT NETHERFIELD TO MABLETHORPE IT TOOK A LONG TIME AS IT STOPED AT MOST OF THE STOPS ON THE WAYI THINK IF YOU GOT CERTAIN TRAINS THEY DID NOT STOP BUT WE HAD TO GO TO NOTTINGHAM TO CATCH THAT AND YOU COULD NOT GET THE BIG PRAM WE ALWAYS TOOK OUR GROCERIES AND CLOTHES IN .

Living and growing up around Nottingham I think we had a man-made filter to protect us from the suns harmful rays,'Industrial smog', 500-1000ft'above us during the summer months.

In the cold ,damp,dark, winter months it came down on us with a vengeance,causing all kinds of upper respiratory problems, in the very young and the elderly.

Usual route from Nottingham Vic to Mablethorpe on excursions and the Summer Saturday through trains was along the Grantham line to Allington Junction, then the Grantham avoiding line to Barkston Junction, Sleaford, Boston, then up the East Lincolnshire (Grimsby) line branching off at Willoughby for Mumby Road, Sutton on Sea and Mablethorpe. They didn't make many stops - possibly non-stop to Sleaford, then Boston, Sutton on Sea and Mabo.

My mum used to say that when she was a girl (1920s) they ran evening trips to Skegness and Mablethorpe. These were much cheaper that full day excursions - about 3/6d from memory. You left Vic about 4 in the afternoon reaching Skeg/Mabo about 6.30, returning around 10.30 getting back in the region of 1 in the morning.

Route for Cleethorpes excursions was usually north to Mansfield Central, across to Edwinstowe, Dukeries Junction (remember that?), Lincoln and Grimsby.

I'm sure hearts will be gladenned to know that the Mablethorpe sand train is still running.

Any news of Jimmy87.

Yeah we moved up in December. Got a job at Golden Sands but only 15 hours a week for the summer...blargh....Need full time permanant in a decent job so i can save up and move back down to Nottingham. On the bright side, I had me breakfast sat on the steps near the outflow this morning, watching the tide go out and lapping around the 2 bottom steps.

well i hope to get to mabo tomoz if its not to wet for the bike festival so if any of you old nottinghamites are about please say hello if you see me im not hard to spot look out for a little fat woman with a 3 whelled walker and aguy with white hair sea side lady will know me now if she is about and i see her i will say eh up me duck to her.

We always did Mablethorpe via Skills, till dad got the car, 1945 Mk1 Hillman Minx reg; ZD 6011, think it was registered in Ireland? It was pale green

Anyone recall the name of the cafe that skills buses always stopped at half way to Mablethorpe, I think it was called 'The Adam & Eve'??

well went to mablethorpe today very cold and wet bike fest a bit of a wash out not much there.went from there up to skeggy got dry and sun came out had something to eat a game of bingo did a bit of shoping and headed home good journey back took just over hour and a half to get from skeggy to west bridgeford thenover half an hour to get from one side of town to the other..

The George was a favourite of our family. My granddad was a bus driver for NCT. During the 50s and early 60s he used to hire a bus and take the family on day trips to the coast - stopping at the George on Mabo trips.

• Upvote 1

went past the george yesterday not one car in car park as dave said i wonder if they realize how much trade they had lost by closing the cafeand going so up market . i understand a lot of the coaches now stop at rand farm coffee shop or the cherry tree cafe but since they went upmarket a lot of cars and bikers now stop at the road side cafe just past the george much cheaper and just as good quality food and drink.

used to stop at adam and eve with one of my exs and his parents on the way to there chalet in mabo. but they always took there own picknic and flask if pub was open we would nip in for a quick drink