23 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Remember the train crawling past a place called "Clover Dairy" . Where was that?.

Sorry Mr Meeseeks, the name sounds familiar but I can't place it. 

I'll always have other vivid images of the journey though, all the stations, halts, crossings and junctions.

The summer after the Feb 1953 floods we saw a boat in a field miles inland. Also the sea defence wall on the south shore by Trusthorpe was totally destroyed. McAlpine, I think, was busy rebuilding it all when we visited that year. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Men may come and men may go but Mablethorpe goes on for ever. (Apologies to Alfred L T) All your memories resonate with me too. Remember the little boating lake with hand cranked paddle boats? An

I recall my first family holiday, was at Mablethorpe, Golden Sands Caravan Park - it must have been around 1963 - not sure, I was very young. We would go every year and meet up with the same families

This photograph was taken around 1946 when we were at Sutton on Sea or Mablethorpe.  I was told by dad  that the defences were up to stop those nasty Germans getting into Britain!   For several y

Can you remember the young kids who waited at the stations for when the trains came in? They had those converted pram wheels for carrying your suitcases to your digs, then arrange to collect them at the end of your stay. " That'll be two Bob sir, thank you".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for reply Willow,    One memory that does stick with me is standing outside an arcade called "Jacksons Radio" every time we (Dad and Mam dragging me along) walked past the place it was always blasting out Kathy's Clown. Must have been late 50's.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:15 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

You describe the journey from Boston to Mablethorpe as I remember it.  Remember the train crawling past a place called "Clover Dairy" . Where was that?.

Clover Dairy seems to have been a dairy produce company delivering milk etc to many parts of Lincolnshire. They had a depot in Grimsby (and maybe other places)....which may partly answer your question.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:08 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Clover Dairy seems to have been a dairy produce company delivering milk etc to many parts of Lincolnshire. They had a depot in Grimsby (and maybe other places)....which may partly answer your question.

Clover Dairy had a facility at Willoughby that's the one you'd have seen.

• Like 2
On 7/21/2020 at 3:26 PM, Brew said:

Err... was anyone wearing it at the time Compo...

[wedding ring that was buried in the sand] Sadly, no.

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2020 at 3:23 PM, Totongirl said:

Clover Dairy had a facility at Willoughby that's the one you'd have seen.

Thank you for clearing that one up for me.  I do remember passing through Willougby on the train.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...