D.E.R. TV Rental

Rediffusion was an early version of cable TV. No aerials to go wrong and always a perfect signal through the wires. I think My grandma paid 2/6 per week when she got her first TV; a Black and white Rediffusion with BBC2!

I believe that if you have Reddifusion cables or boxes running across your house you were entitled to remuneration for 'wayleaves'

I dont know who you would claim from now though?

Edit:

http://www.rediffusion.info

http://www.rediffusion.info/History/

1988 Reddifusion sold to Maxwell Communications.

Used to pirate the redifusion box above the rear window, at my grans old house in St Annes, bit of wire and a speaker she had free radio but only one channel unless I climbed up and changed the wiring Lol!

Went for an interview at their Castle Boulevard office in 63, but failed the aptitude test ! Then became an apprentice electrician, and finally a Telecom Tech at BT.

Rented our first colour tv from Wigfalls, good job it was rental as it went up in smoke first night ! but they replaced it with a different model next day.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Kath, that site you linked to looks like it has some historic inaccuracies.

"1964, BBC2 commenced on 625 line, a far higher definition service, and then in 1969, transmissions in colour started"

I was still working at Clifton Colliery when colour TV hit the market, Clifton closed in 1968...I had a mate who was a TV technician at a shop on Arkwright Street, he'd a TV on the bench he was going through for a customer prior to delivery...I doubt any retailer does that today..LOL

Anyway, that would have been sometime in 1967, I was transferred to Cotgrave early 1968.. In 67 I was on regular nights and used to frequent my local at lunchtimes, then went over to his place of work to check out the first colout TV, I'd ever see....

Not sure if all BBC2's transmissions were totally colour at that time, but the test card certainly was....LOL

Yep, even the BBC agrees with my post, 1967....