Recipe: Butterscotch Tart

This is a variation on a school-dinner favourite.

Ingredients

Serves: 4

110 Gram Rich shortcrust pastry (4 oz)

25 Gram Butter (1 oz)

50 Gram Demerara sugar (2 oz)

300 ml Milk ( 1/2 pint)

1 Tablespoon Cornflour

Pinch Ground ginger

2 Tablespoon Double cream, lightly whipped

Chopped walnuts, optional, to decorate

Method

Preheat the oven to 190 °C / 375 °F / Gas 5.

Line a 15 cm (6 inch) flan ring with the pastry and bake blind for at least 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Slowly melt the butter. Add the sugar and cook until dark brown and oily; this may take about 10 minutes. Carefully pour on three-quarters of the milk. Simmer slowly until the sugar has dissolved.

In a cup, blend the cornflour with the remaining milk. Pour a little hot milk into the cup and mix well. Pour this back into the butterscotch milk and stir while it boils and thickens. Draw off the heat and stir in the ginger. Allow to cool. Add the cream. Pour

is that the pemberton i remember hmmm had many brothers and sisters, frog spawn included, carol comes to mind, nice family, hawthorne street or there abouts as i recall. Anyway school dinners bip like you i distract so often from the menu, could eat u den really.

HMMMMMMMm well i remember lumpy mash or smash as i recall, and caramel tart, and i nearly forgot, tomatoes with mash potatoe, still haunts me now. The dinner tickets, were yellow that was if you were poor people like us off kingsmeadow road end, arky end were rich lol, you would queue up and yuk cant imagine den i would eat that crap now, could you, miss ya den and mick

• 6 years later...

Open tart with cornflakes filling, mixed with caramel or treacle I think, anyone have the same (served up at St Teresa'a RC Primary)

Mu hubby's aunt worked at a school doing the cooking for the dinners and I got the recipe from her for the butterscotch tart. But it needed butterscotch flavouring [tiny bottle]. I did this tart for years, but not since moving here and I dont' know it they still do the flavouring.

Me too!

me too. as for school dinners did not have school dinners at school much when at ashwell st school but if i had to stay for any reason i never liked them. but when i went to senior school i nearly always had school dinners and remember liking most things hot pot type thing with scones on top was one of my favorite diners and cornflake tart for pud, i think the thing i liked about dinner at senior school was it all came to the table in seperate green serving dishes and handed round the table and if you did not like something you did not have to have it on your plate, made you feel more grown up .not just plonked on your plate and like it or lump it and made to feel you had to eat it wether you liked it or not. all tables had two girls from each year including one prefect the older girls were surposed to look after the younger ones and make sure they ot there fair sheares and were not bullied . the oldere girls also had to fetch the dishes on trays from the kitchen counter.

and although every one knew who was on free meals in there own class you did not know who was in the other classes and they were never treated any differently. in our school money was put in envelopes and handed to your form teacher for your weeks or days dinneres and a check made daily at morning reg if you were late you had to go to see the school secetary.

I was on free meals and had a Free Meal Ticket so the other kids knew we were on 'National Assistance'

The only things I never liked for years was those things they forced me to eat at school.

Brussels YUK!

I remember being made to sit in the dining hall after the other kids had gone with a portion of

Swede on my plate. I tried to squash it down with knife and fork to make it look like I ate some.

Most things I hated as a kid I now love, Brussels Parsnips Mushrooms.

But Swede, Cauliflower and Cabbage I will not touch even 45 years later.

We used to walk in a crocodile from Church Hill School in Kimberley up High Street to a hall (on James St, I think) where meals were served for us and other schools. Worse thing was rice pudding with 'ricebergs' floating in it. You put in a blob of jam and wizzed it round until it was a pink, gloopy mess.

I figured out that if I pocketed my dinner money rather han buying tickets on Monday morning I could afford a bag of chips and an ice-lolly each lunchtime. I was soon found out though.

Our gang used to slip out of school at dinner time and pop down Sneinton Dale to George's Chippy. We'd each buy a small loaf from the bakers and hollow out the middle. George would then fill that with chips and a drop of gravy - yummy. One member would, on a rota basis, keep conk outside and if Adolph (The head) came down the dale in his minibus looking for escapees George would hide us in his private back room until the danger had passed.

• Like 1

Butterscotch tart with custard was my favourite. School custard was made with sterilized milk and tasted wonderfully creamy.

That X on the free dinner tickets was really, really bad. It singled out less well-off kids and often led to selective bullying. I can see no reason for the X in the first place; why not just issue a standard ticket without charge, the paperwork shows who had the tickets for accounting purposes.

• 6 years later...