Round here in a rural place , that will mean a lot of empty buses then and drivers put on the dole as a consequence . You only see old folk on the buses in the daytime and I doubt there are that many jobs available for the young folk to go after .

"IF" I had my bus pass taken away my trips to Nottingham would be cheaper on the train using my senior citizens rail card. ;)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here in Sydney we don't get free concessional travel but we do get it very cheap once you get to the old fart stage in life. We can purchase a daily ticket for $2.50 which entitles us to all day trav

As the cost is only incurred when the pass is used, I would suggest that there would be a much greater cost if the pass given to young folk, especially in the evening when they are trying to find work

Tut, tut, you'll get locked up one of these days, mick2me......

Not tried my pass on the trams yet.

Do you just show it to the conductor?

Using the pass in Norwich is cheaper and far more convenient than finding a car park. I tried my pass on a tram on a visit to Nottingham and they told me I couldn't use it because the trams have nothing to do with the council so I had to pay the full whack. I've used it on the Notts buses though.

Think I'm right in saying that only Nottingham and Nottinghamshire passes are accepted on the trams. There are a few quirks in the system in different areas - for example, in some rural areas where buses are few and far between, selected buses can be used before the 9.30 "twerly" deadline, and in border areas locally issued English passes can be used on through buses that cross into Wales or Scotland and vice versa.

I know feeling of old before my time now proud recipient of Nottingham City disabled bus pass at 34. Can use mine tram travel all way to Hucknall and within city boundaries bus travel round the clock except certain premium buses and night buses. Outside the city boundary its national scheme rules of after 9.30am to 11pm, and sadly can't be used on trains, but weekends and bank holidays no time restrictions.

I don't know if there are regional quirks on our passes. We live in Mansfield and our passes were issued in Mansfield (although I think through the County Council). My wife often uses hers around Skegness. Mind you, my photograph is so bad it probably terrifies the conductor on the tram into just letting me go.

Don't forget that the rules governing when you get a pass have changed - it is now linked to the date you can draw a state pension. So for me (a mere 59 year old) I will have to wait until I am 65 years and 7 months and 3 days until I get mine - assuming of course they have not been phased out by then!

Tim

I think all the parties want to reduce handouts to state pensioners. Probably because we have contributed or still do contribute so much. Remember the rules. The more you put in the less you get out. For those who want to spend their lives watching TV and bleeding the system, they will be coining it in old age as well.

Like I mentioned before, drawing a pension does not mean you can be free of all health care money worries. My dad broke his false tooth and simply can't afford the cost of replacing it. Even his free bus pass is useless now because he is so bad on his legs that he can't use the bus anymore.

always use our passes on the tram the odd times we use italthough now i have got my scooter i will use it more although i now know i can take my scooter on the bus if not one already on might one day try it on the trans peak bus and go to bakewell or buxton for the day.

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: I love my bus pass, the freedom it allows me.

The day I received my bus pass at the grand age of 60, I sat on the tram and shouted "Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" :biggrin: ; no more dipping into my purse for change for the bus. I felt like a kid again, or, even better than a kid because as a kid I'd have to spend a penny or two getting to town, library or school.

Just lately, I've been craving a holiday but prospective bills will not allow, so I've been searching my memory for interesting places to go courtesy of my bus pass; let's see now, there's:

Newark (historic place, Arts Centre, shops)

Melton Mowbray (good library, good fish and chips - a battered cod is my delight)

West Bridgford (good shops, good library)

Skegness (a complete change of landscape - beside the sea: 'Skegness Is So Bracing' :biggrin:)

Loughborough (market)

Leicester (museums, market)

Southwell (Minster, shops)

Derby ( Arts Centre & Cathedral)

All these places to go - aren't I lucky? Lots more places I haven't visited yet. I read recently of a couple who used their bus passes and travelled all over England - now that's what I call pioneering!

• Upvote 1

There you go Jackson. You can go into Nottingham with having to be a criminal no-good horrid nasty scum-bag motorist. In fact you will be doing Nottingham City Council out of potential Parking charges/fines. You naughty girl. How will they be able to pay for the expenses of staff & councilors and Portfolio Holders (aint that a grand title) if we don't all pile into Nottingham and pay a parking fine or three? No wonder all the parties want to relieve us of our bus passes.

Bilbraborn, On a recent trip to Nottingham,3 major things stood out.

1. The endless stream of public transport flowing like a flood. On the many trips I took ,I seemed to be the only one who paid! Everyone seemed to be on some sort of free pass , or OAP card.

I suppose it is to give the impression that Nottingham is still alive!

2. The acres and acres of empty office buildings, and shops in the city.

3. Until about 10 a.m the city seemed void of people,-do you not have jobs to go to?(I stayed on M.M.Way.)

My dad has just got his letter from the council. On the side of the road with schools it will be parking meters to be paid with mobile phone and card. This is to make the staff from the 3 schools use their empty car parks and pay the WPL. My Dad will be able to have a residents pass (for his scooter? LOL), and visitors passes for us (which he will probably lose unless we hide it). The council have asked for comments. As if they give a hoot.

REMEMBER-

YOU VILL PAY THE WPL!!!!!!

I have a Scottish bus pass. It is valid at anytime on any service. If using a main route such as Inverness - Edinburgh/Glasgow you have to pre-book and that costs £1

I bought a used car a couple of months ago. I have just realised the letters on the number plate are wpl. WPL - workplace parking levy. Oh the shame of it!