They have been back for the last few weeks, don't know how they survived the late frosts, but they did, I'll set up a feeder and get some photos in the coming weeks, I love these very tiny birds, they are so friendly.

I saw some Humming Birds for the first time recently, no not in Nottingham (!) but in Jamaica. They were on, what a local called, a Jade Vine at Strawberry Hill. I did get a few photos of them but as the birds are so tiny it's very difficult to see them on the pics unless you know what you're looking for.

I had this mission whilst out in the Caribbean, to try and take a picture of a Humming Bird !
If I had my camera , they were too far away, if I didn't have they were dancing round my head flicking 'Vs' at me

Do they hum in tune?...................or is it just a random hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

They get to know a person Ian and get very friendly with those that give them treats...I've been outside having a pee....I live on 80 acres of land...LOL And had them flying and hovering just a few inches from me.

When we live in California I kept a feeder in a tree at the edge of our deck, little buggers would come to the kitchen window, hover and tap on the window when the feeder was empty, they wouldn't give up until I washed it out and refilled the feeder!!

Here's one of the cheeky little buggers who used to tap on our kitchen window in California, it's a Ruby Throated Humming Bird.

Hummingbirdresting.jpg

MY SISTER SEZ THEY HAVE FEEDERS ON THERE VERANDA AND WINDOWS IN SOUTH AFRICA FOR THE SMALL BIRDS HELPS TO DETER THE MONKEYS WHO ARE ALWAYS RAIDING THE BIRD TABLE THEY ALSO HAVE HUMMING BIRDS WHO FEED FROM ONES PUT VERY NEAR THE WINDOWS SHE TOO SAYS THEY SHOW NO FEAR AND WILL COME RIGHT UP TO THE WINDOWS EVEN WHEN SHE IS AT THE SINK WASHING UP THE MONKEYS WAKE THEM UP IN THE MORNING ON THE ROOF OF THERE BUNGALOW HAVE TO MAKE SURE NO LOOSE TILES ALL THE TIME BUT THE DOGS NEXT DOOR RUN INTO THERE GARDEN AND FRIEGHTEN THEM OFF.

LizzieM

Do you think its worth putting the photo's on here,it would be nice to see them,they are so interesting.

Carni, if I could work out how to post pics then I would. The last time I tried I really messed up my link to Nottstalgia. I'll give it another go, when I have my brain in gear!

I managed to get the image onto my post, but then a message came on to say not allowed,there must be a good reason,some one will put me in the know.I was really pleased cos i'd managed it as well. lol.

:secret: Did you know that Humming birds only Hum when they don't know the words ... thumbsup

OK, what do they do when they know the words....................................mime perhaps? slywink

Just a tad boring then..................heard one hum, you've heard 'em all ....................lol

I sat and watched them for ages at the Asa Wright bird reserve in Trinidad. They are fascinating. Saw more in Chile but they were not so used to being close to people.

Ayup you dont have Hummingbirds in Muggisurri ?

They were attracted to my dad when he visited theywould come face to face inches apart as soon as he stepped out in the garden

I had to buy a live trap yesterday as we have something big under the house that took out one of the vent wire grids about a 6inch hole

Possum or Racoon i think, Didnt get it last night .

As our summer progresses, we get more and more hummingbirds on the feeders. Sometimes there are 30 odd fighting to get to the 'holes', and they bombard each other, it's like a re-enactment of the Battle of Britain!

I've a magazine somewhere I kept as there's a photo of a lady who has her arms out and dozens of hummers are flying around here with many more perched on her hands and arms, I'll see if I can find it and scan the photo.