Winston Churchill

I've visited his former home at Chartwell in Kent. A fascinating place and well worth a visit.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I watched a report on Channel 4 News this evening on the anniversary of Churchill's death. I've never seen anything so disrespectful, biased and defametory. It sought to portray him in the worst poss

Been watching a series of programmes on Sir Winston Churchill this week, as it's the 50th anniversary of his death. What a great inspiration, and a great leader. His determination to win was unbelie

It seems to me that supporters of the Conservative Party support Sir Winston Churchill whereas the Labour Party supporters are quite derogatory towards him. Personally, I'll support any Party that has

• 4 weeks later...

the Battle of Britain loco 'Winston Churchill'...It ended up at the NRM in York, resplendent in it's original paintwork. It then some how ended up in the repair shop there where I last saw it, the paintwork ensured it was the last BR steam locomotive to be wearing it's original colour scheme applied in 1963/64, everything else has subsequently been repainted, they may look right but certainly not carrying original paintwork.

According to a letter in this month's Railway Magazine the engine was repainted at Derby Works sometime between 1977 and 1981 as an apprentice project, so it seems it lost its 1960s paintwork at that time.

• 6 months later...

Many working class people hated him, he wasn't liked by my fellow workers when I was serving my apprenticeship in the mining industry in the 60's. In fact he was hated by men who had been in the 1926 strike.

He's still THE greatest Briton we've ever had. Thanks to him, I'm alive now !!!!!

• Upvote 3

They've all save us at various turning points in history, but I think Churchill had the most significant effect upon the population.

He inspired everyone, and I'm certain they would have followed him to the ends of the earth.

• Upvote 1

Yes Ian, he said "I'll see the miners eat grass before I give in to them" Miners back then did a backbreaking crippling job, the strike was over the owners slashing their pay and increasing their work hours. Those were when a six day working week was the norm, and a ten hour day underground was the norm.

I suppose they could have thrown the towel in and gone to work elsewhere, but how?? Hewers hands were crippled with handling a pick all shift, and most were housed in company housing with a family.

In times of dire need, EVERYONE must pull together. If there are signs of dissent, then civilisation will disintegrate.

This has been proven over many centuries.

Wasn't a pleasant occupation Ian, I can only imagine, and I worked on low coal faces for a few years, but all mechanised.

When it was part of Great Britain.

Pedantic, but Ireland has never been part of Great Britain. It was part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland until the Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1923. Great Britain is not the same as The British Isles or the United Kingdom.

Again quite correct Bubble'..........this sort of crap really fascinates me lol....like Country and County borders......such as parts of Notts being further North than parts of Yorkshire, and a part of Spain being completly surrounded by France......there are many what are known as Exclaves and Enclaves around the World.

Sorry nowt to do with Winston.

I don't know about that benjamin.

Churchill was around when the boundaries of countries in the middle east were drawn up just after the first world war.

It was all about "Divide & rule" & what a mess was created.

Just a line in the desert but creating conflict by forcing people to live together who despise each other.(it happened in colonial Africa too)

Again quite right Bubble,........he more than likely had a hand in drawing up the boundaries of much of the Middle East,..........and re-doing them today might help the current situation.