Nottingham Authors Past and Present?

I am trying to collect books by as many Nottingham authors as I can. I have picked them up at library sales and car boots. I still need a few Sillitoe numbers but have most of Lawrences but struggling to read them. I am at present reading Leen Times by A R Dance, having read Narrow Marsh by the same author.

Bilbraborn.
How many Nottingham(shire) authors are there I wonder?
I would also extend that to Bloggers, playwrights etc.
We have a number of members here that fall into various categories of 'Author'

Emrys Bryson

Duncan Grey

A.C.Wood

E.L.Guilford

I'm assuming that these are Nottingham authors as they all wrote books on Nottingham.

If I went through all of my books on Nottingham & Shire I could proberbly find 50 or more.

BUT all of these authors are "Historians" and so writers of "non fiction"

Arthur Mee

Another historian, who had a great bearing on my early years thanks to his "King's England" series - my dad collected them all and reading them made me want to travel the country.

This thread has cost me £3 so far , just ordered a copy of Narrow Marsh by A R Dance on ebay !

:biggrin: Let's not forget the Nottingham author: Geoffrey Trease - he of 'Cue For Treason' fame.

Years back, he gave a talk to my school in the Music Room; a very well spoken and generous - in terms of writing advice - Gentleman.

At the beginning of every Autumn term, we were given a Classic to read; well remember reading 'Cue For Treason' in my second year - exciting and adventurous. :biggrin:

PS: an incredible Biography of this writer is provided on 'Google'; Geoffrey: an admirable man, how lucky we schoolgirls were to have him visit.

• Upvote 1

M.W Spick and Mr Kenneth Negus both authors of old Nottingham books. I'm sure these must have been mentioned before on this site but still well worth the recognition.

DavidW you won't regret it. It is fairly accurate with the history.

Melton Stilton. I could have written a volume on wind power after a few pints of shippos when it was brewed in Nottingham. But it would have been censored.

As for non-fiction of Nottingham, are the likes of Douglas Whitworth, Geoffrey Oldfield and Frank Stevenson authors (regarding their explanatory passages) or just photographers. I have a large collection of these books including stuff with photographs by the Francis Frith organisation. My largish collection of railway books includes one called Nottingham's Railways forwarded by Peter Tuffrey (is he from Nottingham?) but with photographs by my old friend retired train driver Bill Reed. Funny thing, this book was reprinted under the title The Last Days of Steam in Nottinghamshire.

A lot of railway books about Nottingham and surrounds are actually not by Nottingham born authors.

• Upvote 1

Though born in Ipswich "Joy James" moved to Nottingham at the age of 3.Her book's will bring back memories of Nottm in the 50s and 60s.Front%20book%20cover%20CA2.jpg

Not exactly Nottingham, but a friend of mine, Richard Guise, wrote "Lead us not unto Trent Station". It's about growing up in Long Eaton.

At a recent `meet-up' of old (very old!) school mates , 2 things struck me.

1. How amazingly young they looked at 73 !

2.How well they had all done from a state education (although at a grammar school)

Back to the point. One chap gave me a book to read,as i was always `rabbitin' on about Muslim and Jewish world domination." Religion Explained in an Hour"

<< Return to book overview
By Glenn Hill (a Westbridgford author) I recommend it to you all.

I myself do not read much as I much prefer to be `doing stuff' and working with my hands (and brain-or what remains of it).

Thepoint about how the Jews regained Palestine really interested me.

I met Joy James at Colwick car boot just before she launched her first 'Parson' book. We had a nice chat about books and reading. She was actually promoting her book. Although Colwick car boot has so many customers who don't speak English or do British culture. She was lovely. A message to Joy if she is reading this. Please give us some input.

Keith Train another teacher at High Pavement School who wrote books (mostly history - non-fiction).

Wow! It seems that the list is endless.

Stan, it is the same man, I clicked on his link and there was his physog. He mentioned in his bio about working for the sports council, that would be Holme Pierrepoint.

• 2 years later...

I have had this saved to my Desk Top for quite a long time; Nottingham History By Francis Frith. I apologise to anyone if it has been put on NS before, but I thought it was too interesting to not share, especially with any Newbies. Plenty of History and great photo's to share. I hope you enjoy reading this item.

http://www.francisfrith.com/nottingham/history

• Upvote 3

#22 David. Regarding the book in the Link you added, by Scott Lomax. I haven't read the book but the story intrigued me, enough to make me google the burial ground near to "The Lace Market". For any one interested, here is an article in the Feb 2014 Evening Post about it.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/man-s-mission-unearth-ancient-skeleton-mystery/story-20609697-detail/story.html

• Upvote 1