Didja gerrowt for Christmas?

Merry Christmas to all. Sitting here by the gas fire wondering what ya'll got for Christmas. I got various kinds of my favorite food treats, some handkerchiefs for my cold wet nose, and a thingy that's says it can charge my mobile from sun light. Lots of licks from the four legged Loppylugs so all in all a very happy Loppy.

A chain saw!

Mary and I shared a new laptop (Windows 8 takes some getting used to).

Lots of licks from George - and he seems to like his box of toys!

All the adults in our immediate family made a pact not to do presents for the adults this year so my only gift has been a cardigan from the Aldi bespoke menswear tailoring department !

Actually my son did buy me a Grippy that is a self adhesive pad for holding things like phones or tablets onto vertical surfaces . He was so impressed with it he bought one for me.

http://www.gizzys.com/lifestyle-home-grippy-p-91.html?osCsid=kjkdanohpv25aiqtp0p9h6se43

In years gone by when we were both working, we used to buy big prezzies for each other but now we don't need anything much, we spend on our adult kids and Granddaughter more. I have always loved sitting watching others open their prezzies first. But there was some thing i have always been fascinated by that Santa actually bought me this year and i love it. since i first saw them in our big shopping centers a few years ago, Guess What..... A Remote Control Mini Helicopter, I haven't laughed so much for years. My Hubbs spent most of the few minutes of battery life climbing the garden fence to retrieve it or we all had to keep ducking to keep our heads. Talk about crash landing, i have yet to learn how to control it. I have been assured it wasn't too expensive so if it doesn't survive for long I have already had a lot of fun with it. I did have some grown up bits and bobs as well.

PS and a Boy George CD. called This Is What I Do.

I had one of the finest, if not the best ever christmas presents. My son-in-law is working night shifts at the moment so daughter and grandson are staying with us overnights for a few nights.

On Christmas eve the grandson,s father came round for a few moments before setting off for work.

he had a chat with us all and then started the process of getting "on the road".

Saying goodbye is always an emotional time so after "hugs and kisses" he made his way to the front door and i gathered the wee lad up and took him into the unlit back room to "look for santa" in the night sky.

At the bottom of our garden are a silhouetted row of trees and then some houses. And as we looked out of the window some how a driver appeared to have his headlights "flash and wink" as they moved across the tree line. It seems as if the lights were actually heading for the roof of one of the houses near by.

Suddenly the boy "realised" what that meant and, wriggling out of my arms he raced through the house and up to his daddy screaming "i have just seen santa, he is coming here!" We all ran into the back room but of course the lights had gone. However for that brief moment we all stood there like small children searching across the sky and hoping to see and for that brief moment in time we were seeing through children's eyes and we "believed once more".

• Upvote 6

Carni, many thanks for that. It still gets me at the back of my throat even two days later. To still be so innocent is an amazing thing and to be privileged to be present at such a time is simply magical.

Hey Eric! When Win 8 has you tearing your hair out you can always dispose of it with the chainsaw. XP on my wife's desktop is currently giving me fits. 100% CPU usage and slow as molasses . Debating whether to reinstall or bite the bullet and upgrade the computer and by a builder version of Win 7. You probably know XP no longer supported after April 2014. What would you do?

Loppy - before you re-install the OS, I would install CCleaner and run that on the PC and the registry - it makes a HUGE difference. Then run a decent spyware scan (I use Avast) and see if that cleans it up. (Use the free versions of both!)

I wouldn't bother with Win 7 - I would go straight to Win 8, especially if it is a 64bit machine. Yes, it is unusual, but it gets better reviews than 7 and once you get used to it, runs VERY well! You can also install a skin that makes it look, and feel, like XP - but I haven't tried it yet!

I still run XP Pro - and will probably upgrade to Win 8 soon - especially since the laptop will work as a replacement while I fiddle! Biggest issue is obtaining affordable versions of Office!

By the way, NewEgg is a good source for the OS.

What saw did you get Eric??? Just got my Husqy back up and running, it got impossible to pull start it and I found the cause and cure, build up of carbon increasing the compression...Been thinking of replacing the cyl head with one that has been drilled and fitted with a decomp valve.

My big Stihl has a decomp valve, and makes a big difference starting with it.

It's a PoulanPro - the "non-professional" version of the Husquvarna! Since I really don't need a pro quality machine, and the reviews were decent, I decided I didn't need to pay double (or more) for the husky!

It is basically for cutting up fallen trees on the property - so will only be used a couple of times/year. I only burn firewood for "ambiance" so it isn't going to see a lot of hard use!

A tip, use premium gas at all times Eric, these small engines hate ethynol...My first saw was a Stihl, ran perfect for almost 20 years, ignition module failed about a year after we moved to Missouri..I couldn't find a new or used module anywhere.

Then bought another Stihl the MS310, failed miserably, seized up even though I used fresh fuel, happened twice! I replaced the engine myself a year back..Now Stihl recommend premium fuel only!! NO or very low ethynol!!

I have a Stihl MS311 we bought just over a year back as the Husqy Rancher55 was just too hard to pull, in fact it was impossible!! I was looking for a retrofit decomp kit for it..

I cut loads of wood every year, some pretty thick red oak, so have 20 inch bars on my saws, next models down wouldn't last very long with me, so use the "Rancher" series of saws.

Eric, Re. #11.

Always used CC cleaner and it cleaned everything up, still no go.

Always use Newegg. They give good deals and prompt service. I think the CPU is caput. Started it this a.m. and it ran fast for about five minutes then went 100% again. Thought maybe the fan was out or something but all is running o-k. I'm just ready to cut my losses and go Newegg shopping. The HD on that computer has always been flaky. surprised it has not quit before now. Thanks for your input anyway.

my lads brought me the new dreamboats and petticoats cd and a new 60s mix i hadnot got friend brought me a bottle of tia maria box of chocks dundee cake made by another friend ,not got anything from dave yet will do when i find something i like

Mattdigs bet that moment was the best christmas surprise you had

Yes it was. certainly a delight and a treasured moment. Amazing how a child's excitement is so infectious. I can still see the huge grin on daddy's face as he left for his night shift. Lovely.

My children and grandchildren bought me some lovely things and bought a huge smile to my face. but I think the most moving gift I received was on xmas eve in the waiting room of the Radiotherapy department a the City Hospital. I was awaiting my treatment when a small boy aged no more than three who had also been receiving treatment in the unit was walking around wishing merry xmas to everyone in the waiting area in his little santa suit handing out lollipops from his little bucket and saying merry Christmas to everyone he saw I don't think there were many dry eyes

Apologies for being a soppy old duffer

• Upvote 6

So you'll be wearing goggles to watch TV from now on.....