Hairdressing

Still on the subject of hairdressing.  A couple of weeks ago I drifted back to my hairdressing days and changed hair colour.

ccc0b80a-9f99-4574-85be-a3bc9802a8f8.jpg

• Like 5

My first barbers was Pelham's on King Street. It was in the basement of one of the buildings on the west side of the street (possibly the Prudential Building) - anyway you went down a flight of stairs and there were about 8 or 10 chairs on two sides of a big room - or if you paid more you could have your hair cut in a separate room with just one chair.

Later on I couldn't be bothered catching the bus into town for a haircut so went to the Park Saloon - the last of a parade of shops on Mansfield Road in Carrington immediately after the junction with Hucknall Road.

last time I was in the city (about 4 years ago) I noticed both had gone.

10 hours ago, Tim in the North East said:

My first barbers was Pelham's on King Street.

There's another thread about hairdressing, and the other one includes a photo of that place.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12205-barbers/?page=4

I used to go there in the mid 60s. I agree with your description of the place - a long room below street level.

I once did some sign writing for a fellow fireman who had an upstairs barbers on Clumber Street. (Harry Todd). It was black  on a white sandwich board. When I delivered it , he was just throwing out a youth with long hair and wearing what was trendy at that time , a long army trenchcoat. He gave the lad a right mouthful about respect for military veterans and long hair and uniform etc. Harry was a WW2 merchant navy man I believe. The lad walked off without a word. 

Strange, what we remember !

I think the name I painted on that sandwich board that was Esquire, I don't think the shop lasted very long.

One of his services was called ' shampoo and friction', friction being some sort of perfume. Any hairdressers remember friction ? Or was it just a sixties gimmick ?