Bells Lane Estate was planted with blossom trees, but every 5 or 6 houses apart. We had a flowering plum, opposite was almond and 5 doors up was a horse chestnut. All gone now.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

Nice pic CT.

Judging by the outfits, I'd imagine around the WW1 era?

In my booklet 'Bestwood, the Story of an Estate', is the following passage:

'Cricket was a feature of Bestwood, and so keen was the Duke on this that he laid down an exceptionally fine pitch within sight of the drawing room windows and inaugurated the Bestwood Park Cricket Club in 1868. He charged a peppercorn rent of one shilling per year, payable incidentally, in two half yearly amounts of 6d. After the sale of the Estate, this rent was paid to the Estate's solicitors until the Lodge was taken over by the War Office and the ground used by the Army as well as the Club itself. So the Lodge and Cricket Ground did in fact 'revert to the Crown' - a circumstance allowed for so many years ago. (This latter refers to a provision in the original granting of Bestwood 'to Mrs Ellen Gwynn for life, and after her death upon the Duke of St Albans and his issue male', with reversion to the Crown.)

The Duke's original intention was to provide a team composed of tenants, however there were insufficient Estate workers who played Cricket so he co-opted Arnold cricketers.  Thus the names of the brothers W.T.and J. Oscroft, Clay, Parr and Sulley appear. It was that William T Oscroft who became the first Bestwood Park C.C. member to gain recognition as a player for Nott.s County Cricket Club, and was its Captain in 1881 and 1882 and who played for England.  He toured Australia with Dr W.G.Grace's team and was a member of the first MCC team to tour Canada and America under Richard Daft,  The Club was finally disbanded in 1978.'

• Like 3

Just a guess Cliff Ton , as you go up the drive just before the Bestwood Lodge Hotel on the right Hand side is a large flat grassed area which the Fire Service had as a sports/ football area.

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

What/where is the Park shown in the photo ?

Your quote doesn't mention it, and the photo doesn't give any clues.

My quote says: 'within sight of the drawing room windows'. I'm guessing maybe here?

https://images.app.goo.gl/wiZDrpoBJmbknqwH9

As far as I know, 'Bestwood Park' originally referred to Bestwood Lodge and its surrounding land, woods, etc.,(Possibly excluding the many surrounding farms etc., which constituted the Duke's 'Estate'), as opposed to the more common modern usage indicating a Public Park.

• 2 weeks later...

That photo cliff ton brings back so many different memories.........1950 ish school walk across fields (before Bestwood Park was built)..........there was a farm called ''Scotties'' where we would pick Strawberries....remember jumping from a Barn onto loads of ''Hay''......and the Farmer accusing us of ;Nicking his ''Strawberries'' just because we were covered in ''Juice''.......

It was also the Place where we would meet lads from 'Edwards' lane estate to arrange football matches instead of throwing stones at each other.....we'd play on the 'Camp' pitches...(Prison)

In later years we'd drink together in the Pub shown.......it was also the site of 'Swimming Baths;; and still is a ''Police Station''

Amazing how one fairly obscure photo can ''Evoke'' such long lost memories of times well past...........

• Like 3

Gosh !!!!   The Oxclose brings back memories for me,  It was one of our friends regular drinking pubs, when we were just a bit younger that we are now, there were 8 of us all newly married couples, who went around together. One Sunday dinner all the men disappeared.   The master and I had just moved into a new house on Longdale Rd which was off Edwards lane, and 4 of our friends had come to visit. The other couple lived in Bestwood,  and it was Sid who used to drink at this pub, well in them, there, days most men went for a drink and a game of cards on a Sunday lunch time. This is where the men had gone, well the other 2 wifes who were left with were not very happy, so i jumped in the car with them in the other car and sitting on my bumper. I drove to the Oxclose pub and went in before the other 2 wives had arrived. I stood and pointed at the 2 escape husbands and just said  "you and you are in big trouble going out without your  wives" I honestly have never seen two chaps run out a pub door so quickly.   I don't think there wives spoke to them for a week.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I’m feeling really happy as one of our grandsons is moving to Nottingham from Newcastle.  He will be working in Annesley Woodhouse with Galliford Try as a Graduate mechanical design engineer (whatever that may be!)  He has sorted himself a flat in Bestwood which is only 2 1/2 miles away from where I grew up.  

It looks as though there are several ways to commute between his flat and work but I suppose  it will depend on the time of day and the traffic which will be the best way to go.?

I really am bubbling up with happiness ……

• Like 9

Good to hear your news Margie, but there's Bestwood...and Bestwood...;).. so I'm curious.

I'm not aware of many flats on the 'Original and Best' Bestwood Estate..which is quite small and is only a fraction of the area covered by the original historic hunting estate given by Charles II to his son via Nell Gwynn.

Can you be more precise on the location of your son's flat?

We don't need the full address...:rolleyes:

Col, it’s one of my grandsons who is moving to Bestwood.  His flat is on a road somewhere off Arnold Road - nearer Hucknall Road than Edwards Lane.    Does that make sense?

CT  That looks nice but no idea if it’s anywhere near to his flat.

Thanks @trogg thought you mentioned that before.......i was born roughly opposite you at my Aunt's 118......had lots of cousins live there 'Hopkin'' Barry (had trials for Derby county) Brenda..Trevor (still lives there and is the only one still with us) Andrew..Linda....and Angela.....

The ones on your side of the road i still recall were Michael Collins...the Freestones...Brian Copeland...Donold Starkey (still see him in Bulwell) the Witts family...The Clarkes (still see Barry) Mrs Camm..Johnny Daykin...i could go on...

Lived at my Aunt's and Grandma's at 126 from being born in 1945 to i think 47 or 48 when we moved to Andover road......crazy thing is despite being only 2 or 3 i remember moving and being in my Pushchair going down Hove road behind my Dad who was carrying a Radio as big as todays Telly's....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm not seeing what you mean from that link Stuart. Where are the 'hundreds of flats'? The map is mostly covering Heathfield Est., which I think is technically Basford or New Basford. Nowhere South of Arnold Rd is Bestwood and neither is anywhere west of Hucknall Rd.

Just as long it’s not a KNOWN  area for drug dealers, cannabis farms and knife crime….. although I realise that all these problems are endemic these days.   Even in our Cambs fen villages, there are sometimes similar problems.

Col, from your last definition of Bestwood, it definitely is in Bestwood!

• Like 1

Well I wouldn't worry about cannabis farms, drug dealers and knife crime if I was you Margie people like that (and if it is there are in the minority) usually stick to their own bit of turf and don't bother anyone else, just scaremongering me duck, 

He'll be fine and I'm sure the good people of Bestwood will make him welcome

Rog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I'm not seeing what you mean from that link Stuart. Where are the 'hundreds of flats'? The map is mostly covering Heathfield Est., which I think is technically Basford or New Basford. Nowhere South of Arnold Rd is Bestwood and neither is anywhere west of Hucknall Rd.

Not sure you've interpreted it right Col.

That image shows the area north of Arnold Road, including what used to be the site of a school playing fields (I think High Pavement). It's now all been built on. And it's full of flats ............. https://goo.gl/maps/QR6jnp1rjHjNveEe6

• Like 2

Inside the semi-circle of Gainsford crescent was all High Pavement school and playing fields.....and is now all the new housing with i'm sure many flats....

Even prior to HP being built it was at the top my first school (1950) which were known as the ''Huts''......and the rest of the site was our very own Wembley...Trent Bridge...Meadow lane...City Ground...Lords.....must have stretched nearly half a mile.......we built 'Dens''..had fires''..had football games for every street on Old Bestwood........our little 'Paradise'' where no-one bothered us........driving past now makes me so sad......where's Harry..Charlie..Eric..Nev...Johnny...Dave...Ray...Mick...George...Gordon...Joey..and the rest........:Friends:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2