Only Fools and Horses has to be everyone's all time favourite surely?! So many hilarious and memorable scenes! Although I wasn't overly fussed on the sketch they did for Sports Relief this year...

The only comedy show we love is 'Benidorm' the last series just sadly come to an end. It's not something you can tap into and appreciate, you have to have got to know the characters from the beginning, look out for early series replays, and regret the loss of Johnny Vegas and his mum, we cry with laughing at this programme, a rare thing.

I also love Benidorm with a passion although the earlier seasons with Johnny Vegas in were so much better than the more recent ones. I also think Mel was a huge loss to the show :(

• 1 month later...

My favourites are "Open All Hours" - "Dinnerladies" and "One Foot In The Grave". Another I found very funny but not strictly a comedy show I suppose was "A Pint of Lager & A Packet Of Crisps"

It's interesting to see how the generation gap modifies humour. There was work to do in a club of which I am a member, and a young girl said, 'I'll bring the muscles'. I said, 'I'll bring the cockles and the vinegar'. It wasn't understood. Again, a young lad turned up with hair dyed an obvious black. I said, 'Been sweeping chimneys'? Again, it wasn't understood. Mind you, these people think Ricky Gervaise is brilliant. I think he does less for T.V. comedy than a power cut!

Porridge has to be one of the best ever. Ronnie Barker was a much better actor than anyone gave him credit for. He also for many years, wrote scripts under a pseudonym so no one would know it was him. The man was a genius.

Also astounding was Reggie Perrin.

The Goons still make me laugh now, laugh to the point of being incapable of breathing type of funny. Total genius.

I tended towards the absurdist style of Pete and Dud (AKA Derek and Clive - Dont listen unless you have a very broad mind) and Monty Python. OK sometimes Python was lame, but the classics remain. Life of Brian was possibly one of the funniest moves ever.

Tomlinson, I for one cannot stand Ricky Gervais and don't find him funny in the slightest, I generally cringe at everything he does.

I don't know if you saw him in any of the 'Midnight in the Museum' films but with all the talent he has, there might as well have been a hole in the screen. Totally useless!

• Upvote 2

I remember Arthur Haynes and Dave King. No real talent but mildly amusing..

Haynes character was most irritating if I remember rightly. The sort of person that gets right up your nose.

He used the name Gerald Wiley when he submitted scripts to the BBC. He used the fictitious name Gerald Wiley for the scripts because he wanted the screenplays to be accepted on merit and not just because he was a star of the programme who wrote them. I read an autobiography by Ronnie Corbett and he wrote about Gerald Wiley.

Ronnie Barker aka Gerald Wiley

Rog

Not just Gerald Wiley but at least half a dozen others. He also revised scripts from Spike Milligan (probably because they were a little too odd) and always credited Milligan with the entire script.

Do you remember The Phantom Rasperry Blower of Old London Town? Makes me cry laughing even now.