John Player factories - memories

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nah, they're shifting production to Europe to take advantage of cheap East European labour, no, sorry, they can't do that anymore, they all live in Braintree on benefits smoking illegally imported fag

I read a letter in the i newspaper last week from a chap who packed up smoking cigarettes two years ago. If still smoking he would be paying nine pounds a packet and paying £3000 a year in tobacco dut

At the Coop, if we had five-packs of Park Drive, we would open them and sell a single cigarette! Pretty pathetic if you think about it!

5 Park Drive tipped = 11d

5 Park Drive plain = 1s/1d

and down the village shop in Clifton 3 Woodbine in a proper packet were 9d including 2 matches, the idea behind the 2 matches was you gave one ciggy to your mate and you had one at the same time = 1 match, later on there was 1 ciggy left and one match

11d = 4 1/2 pence

1s/1d = 6 pence

9d = 3 1/2 pence

this would be about 1967

saw today a packet of 20 Marlboro which I used to smoke at £6 40p

Rog

Some corner shops down the Meadows would sell you a single cig, even to school kids. might have been 3d each?

this was happening in the early 80's, with a certain shop owner selling "singles" to kids who not only were all in school uniform, but would smoke them in the shop, along with the shopowners daughter who was also a pupil at the time!

being in my year this would have made her about 14/15 at the time.

Plantfit...those prices seem cheap for the year.I used to get 5 parkies about that price but thought around 1961....remember Domino?...4 for 6d and joysticks,about ten inches long for fivepence halfpenny.I used to buy Black Russian to look a flash git on the park...tasted like camel s***

They certainly were around that price even after Decimalisation!!

In 1973ish !0 Sovereign/ Players Number 10 were 10.5p Number 6 were 11.5p for ten also, so 5 would have been around 6 or 7p or just over a bob.

I remember vividly the head line on the Nottingham Evening Post when the price went up to 50p for 20.

PLAYERS JOBS,

UP IN SMOKE?

JOHN PLAYER WILL BE TURNING IN HIS GRAVE AS CIGARETTES RISE TO 10 BOB A PACKET

• 3 years later...

What the Horizon Factory Mick???? If so I recall they said the factory was designed to be able to turn over to any of the companies products with ease, from canned food processing to crisps.

It was planned and designed with the possibility that ciggies would go out of fashion one day.

It amazes me how they, (Imperial Tobacco & HMRC) always put the blame on duty free fags ! Perhaps if the government weren't so greedy by the ever increasing imposition of taxes all these jobs might not be lost.

• Upvote 1

That brings back some great memories mick,lived in Norfolk for while and had a mate who did a brilliant impression of the singing postman"

#12 same mate sang that as well catfan,but he changed the words to "smoke gets in your eyes,bloody weather" well it was funny when he sang it :)

• Upvote 1

It was bound to happen eventually, I wonder how much business has been lost in both the UK and the US over the last 40 years, I use that as I threw the towel in on smoking that long back.

Seemed when I was a teenager, it was hard to find a none smoker.

Here's a great example of how statistics can be used to demonstrate both sides of an argument at once. Seems there are more people smoking now than ever before, but that is partly explained by population growth. In some parts of the world smoking is a growth industry, but in other places its falling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25635121