Greetings everyone,

I am a PhD student and I wonder if you could give me a hand with my research by taking part in my survey.
It is brief and will not consume all of your time. Please feel free to help me, it is a personal and independent project
I am doing.

Here is the survey's address: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X2MYQBL

I appreciate your help,

I think most people will be suspicious about being asked to click on what could be a dodgy link.

It might be useful if you could explain who you are, where you are, and why this has any connection with Nottingham.

• Upvote 1

Surveymonkey is a widely used method for students to gain survey material. It's not dodgy, it's really, really common if you frequent a range of forums. We had all this paranoid nonsense a while ago didn't we. Check the link out, there's no identifying information given and there are no questions that could give anyone information that could be used for 'dodgy' purposes. The Op is a Nottingham Trent University student, not a Nigerian scammer. Relax, the internet isn't as dangerous as it's made out to be unless you're a moron who doesn't use AV, Firewalls or any other form of protection.

• Upvote 2

So the only way to discover the OP is a Trent University student is to click on the link. I am not in the habit of clicking on links which I am unsure of. I actually do visit and post on a number of other forums, so I am not a naive internet beginner. I have filled in questionnaires before, and have no problem with doing so again, provided I have enough prior information about the site I'm linking to.

Nor am I a moron.

• Upvote 3

Nor am I a moron.

In which case you're AV or other protection would alert you if it were a 'dodgy' link and block it wouldn't it. SurveyMonkey is really common so a non-beginner like you will obviously have come across it numerous times as It's posted on forums so frequently.

Much better if Miguel actually submitted a few posts prior to asking people to do a survey.

I agree no threat here but it would be better if it was not used as a "sweet shop" to dip in and out of for their own purpose.

Only my opinion folks...

Smiffy

The link is safe, and it is supported by the University.

Try it, you might like it!

I actually started the survey then gave up 1/3 through the first page of questions, I dont have the time.

The last time I did a survey like that was a psychometric testing survey for a job application.

Similarly questions are asked in a different way later, to check truthfulness of answers.

I didnt get past the bullshit psychometric stage :(

I think most people will be suspicious about being asked to click on what could be a dodgy link.

It might be useful if you could explain who you are, where you are, and why this has any connection with Nottingham.

And a first post too.??????

Done, good luck with your survey.

For those interested, Professor Mark Griffiths whose Nottingham Trent University email address appears at the end of the survey, is an established expert in various types of addictions.

Profile:

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/apps/staff_profiles/staff_directory/125054-0/26/mark_griffiths.aspx

As chance would have it, my daughter is doing a PhD at the University of Nottingham, and by further chance, her research will affect the thinking in regard to addictions. I can also tell you that an unmonitorable information source will definitely NOT be accepted in her work. Rubbish in - rubbish out. If it is a secondary comparative test to test the research carried out is correct - no problem with that, but the researcher tells us nothing about that.

BTW, why does DJBrenton chuck an abusive hissy fit every time someone has the temerity to hold an opinion contrary to his own?

• Upvote 2

There are two topics under discussion here, and I'll reiterate what I said earlier...... I have no problem at all with surveys and questionnaires; I have completed several of them on various sites and am quite happy to continue doing so.

My initial comment was directed at the fact that we were being asked to access a link which might not have been authentic. A bit more background information would have helped.

And a first post too.??????

Exactly. Someone registered on Nottstalgia, never been here before with no established history or credibility, and in that first post is asking people to click on a link which could have gone anywhere and done anything to their computer.

That is the guillibility scammers are looking for, and occasionally in the past they have got through registration on this site and posted messages with dodgy links. Admins and Mods have removed those posts, and initially there was nothing to indicate that this one was any different.

• Upvote 3

Survey done and hey what do you know my laptop did not explode or ignite.

Yes a little more info would have been ideal, but in this cynical world, sometimes a little trust can go a long way.

I refer back to Compo's thread about "a look at common sense", and particularly at the end "Truth and Trust"

Maybe as a matter of courtesy, contacting board staff for permission to post this request in a Nottingham history related discussion board.

• Upvote 1

NEVER RESPOND TO ANYTHING LIKE THIS UNLESS I PESONALLY KNOW THE PERSON. BUT KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF COLLAGE SURRVEYS HOW HARD IT IS TO GET PEOPLE TO HELP YOU GET THESE DONE. ESSECIALY IF THEY INVOLVE PERSONAL INFO

"The problem with surveys on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Winston Churchill 1944

• Upvote 4

Experience has taught me that ALL surveys are trouble! Internet or otherwise.

They are just scams to get your personal info.

They want to profile and pigeon-hole you and then pass your information on to other market research monkeys.

If I thought they would do any good i.e. using your opinion to change something for the better than I might have a different opinion but, as I say, I have always found them to be intrusive time wasting.

What's more they distort information to suit their purpose anyway.

For example, I wanted to complain about a supermarket a while back so went to their website and found that it just directed me to their market research survey. As if that wasn't bad enough, I wanted to say that I was completely dissatisfied with something and the survey asked me to mark on a scale of 1 to 5 how 'satisfied' I was.

That means that even if I put down 1, that would imply that I was 'satisfied' to some degree.

Worst of all, respected instutions like the police and local councils are actually farming your personal info out to market research companies like Populous or Opinion Research because they want figures on customer satisfaction and use these companies to come up something credible. You would think that the police could be trusted with your details.

There's no reason why they need to know all lot of your personal information like date of birth and all your various numbers anyway.

Avoid surveys and market research like the plague. And guard your personal details or they will be used against you!

• Upvote 2

Well put barclaycon,

As my wife always says, " if you can't change something, then don't worry about it".

Well to be fair to this one, they didn't ask for any personal info at all, neither name nor contact details, just which country you live in, gender and age, then questions pertaining to how much you used the internet and the effects of using it. Basically I think it was about addiction.