1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@letsavagooI didn't realize he was your age. I knew Christine and, of course. Denise. I always thought the brother was the eldest but I see, on looking him up, that he wasn't. Born in 1955. He must be on your school photos. The Ropers were a nice family.

Yes Jill, John is on my class photos. I don’t know what school he went to after Berridge. He wasn’t with me at FFGS. My Jane was with Denise all the way through Berridge too. She thinks she went on to Mundella. I think Christine was the eldest. I don’t remember her at all.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember Jean Metcalfe being on Family Favourites but not Pete Murray (#24). In the summertime my Mum would sit on the back doorstep, listening to Family Favourites as she shelled the peas for o

Ive been looking at the section of the forum about areas of Nottingham. Could I request that Hyson Green is added to it? Either as part of the Radford section or one of its own? Hyson Green was where

Posted Images

According to Gerald Chandler, who taught Denise Roper in the penultimate year of Berridge and his first year of teaching, she went to grammar school. It probably was Mundella because I know she wasn't at Manning. Mr Chandler said Denise was his all time favourite pupil as she was bright, very hard working and well behaved.

Christine Roper went to Peveril and was in the same year as my sister.

• 3 months later...

i was born on pleasant  row,i was one of 8 kids born there and  we are the Martin family,my family goes back to the late 1890s living on this street with my dad and grandad living on Thornton terrace,we had a great time there and great community spirit as we all had fxxk all but each other,

• Like 2

My husband is the eldest of 7 so I can visualise what you all did as kids. My husband could write a book about cemetries at midnight and being locked out of school and had to climb a drainpipe to get into his classroom. He lived in a small village in Sicily and they had to make their own amusement which usually got them into mischief.

Pleasant Row was near to St Paul's church on Radford Road. The church was turned into flats many years ago. Shame, as it's a nice building with an interesting history.

There were several Pleasant Row families with children at Berridge.  My father was apprenticed to a man named Alf Sheen who was born in Pleasant Row, although that would be before Gary's time.

Pleasant Row was full of nice people in the 50s........including my Cousin Doris and her husband Blonde...... 

My beautiful Dog 'Floss' also enjoyed her holidays with them.......when we went away.........:)

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2014 at 5:17 AM, mercurydancer said:

The most likely explanation is that there was a local builder called Isson.

What is now the Forest rec was originally a horse racing ground.

Wow that's interesting as i am a keen horseracing fan, will have to google see if i can find more info !

That's interesting about the Goose Fair race course. I wonder if there was a lake on the Forest site? My Grandfather said that Lake Street was said to be a track to a lake in the distant past? Think CT looked into this some time ago but nothing on the old maps.

Isit true they form a team there years ago that became nottingham Forest ? I think the sat in the Clinton arms and got their heads together and laid down the basics 

• 8 months later...

I wonder whether CT the miracle map reader could locate where Adams Cottages were on Lindsay Street in Hyson Green? I've come across the name in researching  a family tree. There's a photo of Lindsay Street on Picture Nottingham but I've no idea where it was.  Prior to living there, the family in question resided in the evocatively named Smokes Yard, somewhere near Nottingham Castle.

This may be the one you'd found; described as Adams Cottages from Adams Street - with Lindsay Street in the distance.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm001020/posterid/ntgm001020.html

Lindsay Street is marked here; the road on the left is Radford Road, and St Paul's church is still there.

lgKY4mU.jpg

The narrow road between Lindsay Street and Forest Street is Adams Street, but not named on here.

• Like 1

Brilliant stuff, CT, and many thanks. Basically, it's under the present ASDA site. I had no idea it was there. This was an address on the 1911 census. I would imagine Lindsay Street and possibly even Adams Cottages still stood when I was a child. The family later moved to Bateman Street which is also long gone.