• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a dog from the age of 7 and it was made clear to me your dog you look after it,and i did .when i got a paper round i even paid for the licence,7/6 i think it was.I Loved that dog 'Floss' was her

As a responsible dog owner I always have our dog on a lead in public places but what I find galling are the number of folk who are out walking their dog off a lead and allow it to come belting over to

My mum used to boil a sheep's head from the butcher for my dog, Scamp, in the late fifties.  It smelled dreadful, but he liked it!  He also ate the scraps from our meals.   I remember mum buying a tin

All dogs have to be licensed here in Oz and most are chipped by their responsible owners.

They are trying to bring in the license for cats too, as cats have been found to cause major damage to native animals and birds. Cats are shot in their hundreds out in the bush when they turn feral, I have even despatched a few myself. It never ceases to amaze me we can be literally a couple of hundred kilometres from nowhere, with very minimal water around, and still see feral cats in the bush.

Next time you get down to Phillip Island, banjo, ask about the feral cat problem there.

The cats are decimating the fairy penguin population, having the ability not only to catch them in the open but to enter their burrows as well.

All dogs should be on a leash when out walking,people tell me don't worry it doesn't bite, let me tell you all dogs bite.The only area I allow my dog off its leash is at home in the backyard where I have some control.Also owners should be licenced as well as dogs to make sure they are responsible people not dickheads with american pit bull terriers and the like who I believe have an identity crisis.

• Upvote 2

Slightly off topic but involving 'loose' dogs.......Another issue down here in Victoria is the number of wild dogs in the National Parks.

The numbers are on the increase and originate from dogs dumped in the bush by irresponsible owners, dogs that have run off and got lost or similar.

These are now hunting in packs, particularly in the East Gippsland and North east areas of Victoria at the base of the Ranges and kill mainly for bloodlust.

Sheep and cattle farmers are losing stock and money at an increasing amount which prompted the Government to up the wild dog bounty to $100 a scalp.

#23 That happened to us with one of our dogs.

We had lost our old faithful german shepherd after 13 years, and as the children were so upset decided to get a "rescue" dog from the local rehoming centre.

They had no pups, which would have been our first choice, but they had an adult dog, collie cross, who seemed to be the perfect gentleman. He really cosied up to me in the back of the car and at home though we didn't know his real name he sat, lay down and came on command. A well trained dog......or so we thought!

He was great with the kids but was totally intolerant of the cats, who refused to come into the house with him, maybe a warning of what was to come.

The next day we had an appointment at our vets to take him in for a check up and jabs, I had left him in the house as I got the car ready when he came flashing past me (one of the daughters had opened the door to see where I was) One of the cats shot up a tree and he disappeared through the village, totally ignoring my calls to heel, at which he had been so good the previous day. Nothing was stopping him.

My husband chased him through the village and that was it for 15 minutes.

I just stood in the road absolutely aghast as I knew we had sheep with lambs just up the road.

Eventually as quickly as he disappeared, the dog returned and came straight to me. His mouth covered in blood.......

I was so relieved when one of the neighbours told me that one of the farmers had shot him, and it wasn't one of their lambs.

On his return my husband told me what had happened. As he followed the dog he had appeared to be racing down the road and had not noticed the field of sheep when he suddenly turned into the field and proceeded to separate the lambs from the ewes before turning on them. At this point the farmers had arrived and had bee trying to catch the dog, but finally said they would have to get the gun. My husband pleaded with them not to shoot as the children would be gutted, and to be fair to the farmers they said they would use grape shot and fire over his head to scare him off, but the dog jumped into the air as they fired and he got it in the face, which was when he came back to me.

I loaded him into the car, and one of the farmers came up to me apologising for shooting him, he was nearly in tears. I felt so sorry for him, and assured him I totally understood his actions.

The outcome of this disaster was that the vet tried to save the dog, he was going back to the rehoming place after we had fixed him up, but some of the shot was lodged in his brain and would require very special owners. Obviously he could not come back to our village as he must have been a sheep worrier in his former life, or similar. We made the decision that for the very best of reasons he must be put to sleep. Our vet was great and very supportive as he had known us with our various family pets for many years, and knew that we ere responsible owners and even vouched for us to the rehoming centre when we told them what had happened.

I would never want to repeat this experience it was positively harrowing at times, but it showed me that though taking in a "rescue" dog is a good idea in principle, if you don't know it's history you could be storing up a whole lot of trouble for later.

Our next dog was a "rescue" dog, but a pup who I could train myself, and who was loved by all in the village.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for all the replies.

Its reassuring that people understand our situation. My wife is from Sri Lanka, and the number of pet dog's and dogs off leads has been hardest thing for her to adjust to.

From reading the posts it's obvious the vast majority are responsible dog owners who are understanding of other people and dogs around them. I think there will always be a minority who think it's ok, but sadly it's the inconsiderate nature of these people which cause us the biggest problems. I've had no end of dirty looks and grunts when we ask if they can keep their dog on a lead.

I think it's true dogs smell fear because my wife's had 2 incidents which have been terrifying for her. Once she was having lunch in the Arboretum and 2 dogs came towards her while she was sitting on the bench. She was alone, her lunch was all over the place, and she was crying when she called me. Will never forget that day.

The next time we took our 2 children who were 2 and 6 months at the time to a park. We had our beach tent up, and a dog (terrier) suddenly appeared at the entrance of our tent barking its head off. I'm not really scared of dogs but this one did scare me. I was fuming because I had toddlers there and you never know what can happen. I went to see who the owners were and saw 2 guys and a girl throwing stones into the lake...lager cans, smoking weed, you get the picture. My wife stopped me from approaching them - probably would have been a waste of time anyway.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments - it's happy to see so many are sympathetic to our unusual case.

• Upvote 3

Hate to tell you John but Arkansas, Missouri and California all have dog licensing laws. California also requires a cat to be licensed. You can find the state laws HERE.

It looks like a city/county thing Eric...I cannot find anything regarding the county where I live...And when I was in California, we didn't have to get the dogs licensed there either in Eldorado County...We were required to have an up to date Rabies certificate for both dogs, and the dogs were required to have a collar and tag.

The wife had a dog prior to us getting married, she live in Sacramento, and they had, at that time, no licensing requirement for dogs...Dog breeding yes, but not pets.

I had a dog from the age of 7 and it was made clear to me your dog you look after it,and i did .when i got a paper round i even paid for the licence,7/6 i think it was.I Loved that dog 'Floss' was her name and the night she died (i was 21 by this time) she barked when i tried to go to bed,i wrapped her in a blanket in front of an open fire and lay with her.next morning she was no more.I buried her very deep on mam and Dads back garden in there best suitcase.

• Upvote 5

Re #23.

Interesting that no planing permission needed, I would so love that. I had to jump through hoops to get PM to build my detached garage..

No statewide mandatory permits Steve..Each city has it's own permit system, but some are too poor to have a building Inspector... Outside city limits and on over 5 acres, no problems.. Quite a lot of the wife's clients buy a block of land just outside a town and move either a mobile home, or manufactured single wide or double wide on to it....

There are other states that don't have statewide planning permit systems... Not sure which, I think Alaska is another one..

California permits are some of the worst and most expensive...During the building boom of the early to mid 90's, I wanted to put a 40 foot tower in for a ham radio antenna to sit on....I had all the engineering data, all papers filled out, dug the hole to manufacturers specs behind the house.

The wife's boss, who dealt with building Inspectors daily made enquireries for me, he was told, off the record mind you, as long as I installed it to specs, they would turn a blind eye, as they were just too busy to bother with something like a "short tower"

The Inspector told him to get me to keep receipts for the concrete, photograph the hole with rebar installed and just go ahead with the installation..IF, anyone complained, an Inspector would come out, fine me $50, look at all the evidence, and if satisfied, sign it off.....LOL

• Upvote 1

Eric, on wading through the page you linked, it was more to do with a tax on dogs, the law allowed each county to repeal the dog tax after a petion of 100 residents filed the petition.

Governor Blunt brought the dog tax issue up in 2003 from what I've read and called on the state government to start looking into archaic acts and repeal them, this being one of them.

To my knowledge, this county dropped the dog tax years ago as it's really uncollectable, and at $1 per dog is too expensive to enforce...Goes back to the 1920's...

I know Mammoth Spring in Arkansas and the county it sits in doesn't license dogs, that's where my wife has her office, and nobody I know in this Missouri county, pays a dog tax..

I'd hazard a guess Missouri repealed the dog tax years back after Blunt brought it up...

But, on saying that, there is nothing to stop Cities voting on city ordinances to invoke a city wide dog licence. At a guess to pay for a dog and cat pound.

came past woolaton park about an hour or so ago notices saying no tommorow music festival tommorow if that helps as i have not heard of it

We have Tom Jones at Chesterfield football ground tonight, so the site is full with many TJ fans. Not only will they get soaked at the show but then they will have to try to get their 'vans off the soggy grass tomorrow :No1:

• Upvote 1

Talking of which....here it comes, I hear the thunder in the distance and it's getting closer. Get your brollies out folks!

Speaking of which, I always thought the words to that song were "Who ate the dog chow"!