I'm considering moving back to the UK to be near family.Is there anyone who knows anything about transportable home parks (not caravan parks)a park for retired people on limited means.I'm concerned about costs and tenure of the site the one I'm looking at is at Dunham on Trent,the home owners are looking for 50,000 quid and its a 2 bedroom and looks ok.I know the best thing is to come over and have a look butsome thoughts on the idea would be helpful?

Dunham on Trent is not a bad village, but it can flood. Don't know if the park is in the flood area, though it is very close to the river. The other thing to bear in mind is the toll bridge, 40p a crossing now, if you are going into Lincoln, otherwise it's the long way round, for Newark you can always nip down the A1, which is handy for getting anywhere really.

The only other thing about Park homes of which I am aware is that some landlords will only allow the park homes up to a certain age, so best to check before committing as it could be pricey if you have to upgrade every 10-15 years or so.

Try Rightmove too, they bring up park homes, often at Torksey Lock if you are looking in the Notts Lincoln border area.

Been through there tonight. It's always very peaceful I find. It has some nice views too which would explain what it used to be called up there, Surprise View!

It has a site club with a few functions going off in there, a limited bus service and regular day trips out organised for the residents.

iT does seem a lovely place,we looked at a couple of properties there a few years ago,even though i 'd lived within 5 miles most of my life until then i never knew it was there.

Used to go up there when it was a caravan site in the 70's, there was a club on there that was supposed to be for residents only but we used to sneak in, the gaffer knew but didn't seem to mind as we spent money at his bar. Lots of pretty girls to chat up & just up the road from Bestwood Village where I lived back then..

I remember it from those days. The manager of the site loved opposite me on Mansfield Road. They eventually cleared all the old caravans from there over a period of time.

The pics on this blog were taken on Lamin's Lane which leads into Killarney Park. They're just around the corner from the gated entrance. It used to be possible to drive right the way through and down Goosedale to Loopers Restaurant but that's no longer the case.

Bestwood - My Evening Paradise

htc2-792_thumb.jpg?w=764&h=435

I'm having a rethink on Park Homes having read some dreadful stories about exorbitant pitch fee increases and owners of the Parks making life difficult like not being able to sell your Park Home or charging a 10% commission when the place changes hands.At 73 with these facts hanging over my head of being forced out in a couple of years time because of intimidation or pitch fee increases.So back to the drawing board.

Baz, as a thought, have you considered taking an extended holiday back to the old country, to get a feel on how it's like these days??

Last time I was over, well over 20 years back, I knew I could never live there again, too expensive, too crowded..I could go on, but it would be a shame if you gave everything up and then found you'd made the biggest mistake of your life.

When I worked at Boulby, pre migrating, we had an electrical engineer who was on long service leave. His wife had nagged him continuously for over a year she wanted to go back to live in the old country, he thought she'd regret it.

So without telling her, he booked his long service in and booked the passage, and to make it look genuine brought loads of boxes home and started packing.

His story to her was, friends would continue the packing and he'd seen an estate agent about their house.

As luck had it, it was cold and foggy at Heathrow when they landed, his wife took one look out the window and said "I want to go home"

"Too late he said, there's a buyer for the house, we are stuck here now"

He'd taken the full 13 weeks leave and kept the story up right up to the last week, from what he said, she was in tears almost every day, he gave her the true story the last week of his leave.

I dropped by their place when I arrived in Wollongong, seems his wife was as content as a pig in.........

I just know I could never resettle back in the old country.

• Upvote 1

Makes a lot of sense eyeup. I have nothing against the UK or Nottingham, I was born there! Problem would be that I have changed too much by now and at my age I am not set in my ways, but as one good friend playfully suggested, " I am set in concrete." Whatever you decide to do, Baz, I wish you every success, but the cost of an extended trip would be well worth it If it saves you greater expense and regret later.

I have lived in Thailand for 13 years now and I do not think I could ever go back to the UK. Food good, weather warm to hot, once a year visa, transport good, roads good (but dangerous). A more relaxed style of life. What do I miss? Going to the City Ground occasionally. Everything else is here, even HP sauce and Branston Pickle.

I suppose this could go on a quotations thread, but seems appropriate here, simply

"Home is where the heart is"

For me I love it here in ol Blighty, I lived in the middle east for 8 years and loved it, had no problems with their culture and abiding by their rules, but I always knew I would return home. Now having done all my travelling around I am content to stay here and do my travelling around my home country for free care of the Caravan Club job. At the moment I could say I have stayed in better places than Staveley but as we are out on the Country Park even Staveley has it's good points in small doses. I can nip across the channel for some sun if I want, but then again we have just had several weeks of a good British summer. That's one of the good things about being here, we get a bit of everything, sun rain, snow, beautiful countryside and cosmopolitan cities.

So Baz it might be a good idea to pop over for a look see and then make your decision, when you know where your heart really is.

• Upvote 2

Mr Booth I don't think badly of England if you knew of my circumstances 50 years ago you would understand why I emigrated.At that time I had an alcoholic violent father a mother in another relationship all during my early years, no prospects of getting a decent job and no money so Australia was very tempting.

• Upvote 1

I have also considered moving back to blighty, we've been in oz for over 26 years and Australia has been very good to us, my kids especially,

I love the wide open spaces, lack of crowds and the climate, but the dull ache deep inside still gets me at times.

In reality I don't think I could stand the long winters and cold, or the massive power and rates bills, but I still dream of my hometown and the UK in general.

I get my fix by returning regularly, every 2-3 years, doing the tourist bit and sampling all the things I really miss.

Could I live back there ? I don't know now, but still miss it and enjoy my visits. My wife on the other hand would hate to move back, she loves the life here and has never had any regrets.

After my visits I'm usually ready for coming back to my second home and family, and feel renewed again.

The ideal for me, I think, would be to spend 6 months in each country, then having the best of both worlds. I do know people who do this, currently one of my daughters husbands parents are just ending their 6 month English stint, and will return in a month or so for the aussie one, they have a home here and stay with his brother there.

This suits the wife fine now, as she has never settled completely here.

• Upvote 4

regarding the park homes as STU mentioned off the a60 When it was a caravan site I had one there and the access from the a60 is very narrow

and then it was called 'Surprise View' I have visited recently and it is a very nice site but for the access. good high ground. a thing you must check for on any park or caravan site. hope it helps you a little. I believe there is a buss runs once a week to the town. althoug needs checking.

Yes, access is by a single width road with a passing place or two. Most people figure out where to wait for each other but it's not ideal. It's about a mile from the A60 to Killarney Park/Surprise View. Immediately at the A60 there is a bus stop to Nottingham on the Pronto Nottingham-Mansfield/Chesterfield service.

The little bus service from the site runs three times a week I believe so you need transport really.

The real beauty of it is if you like the countryside and peace and quiet. You walk straight out of it in to several hundred acres of Bestwood Country Park. The site is also quiet and attractive.