Bumped into PianoMan

Perhaps people should agree to just have a monthly meet, it certainly seems like there's an appetite for it (if not the organisation). If the 'third Wednesday of every month' or whatever was set people could attend as and when was convenient. The only task then would be to set a venue.*

I can understand why people didn't enjoy The Joseph Else. I did counsel against it a long while back. It's a cr**hole basically. There are much, much better places including each and every other venue that has been used by the group previously which are to my knowledge:

The Bell Inn

The Roebuck

The Trip to Jerusalem

The Hand and Heart

The Lincolnshire Poacher

The Sir John Borlase Warren

The Victoria Hotel, Beeston

The Lion, Basford

There may be others.

From all the criteria that seems to fit people's requirements a suggestion might be the recently opened Three Crowns on Upper Parliament Street. It's a Sizzler chain pub which is not exciting in itself but does mean that it has comparatively inexpensive food (and drinks). It's central, near a tram stop and buses. It is a reasonable size.

Another suggestion, a few minutes walk from the Theatre Royal and close to a tram stop is The Gooseberry Bush. A Wetherspoon outlet so ticking the cheap food box, spacious with plenty of seating and different areas.

The Lincolnshire Poacher hasn't been used by the group in a long time. It has now been smartened up with a new-look snug, conservatory and back yard. Reasonable value for decent food and the choice of drinks speaks for itself. Decent quantity of seating on Tuesday/Thursday nights. Wednesdays are busier due to live music in the bar.

The Orange Tree is fairly central for most and has the advantage of lots of different areas where the group could acquire a corner to themselves.

Perhaps, as a suggestion a meet-up thread could be pinned to the top of the board.

*Approximate time taken three months

• Upvote 1

The Roebuck is the best bet for me on that list. I would be quite happy to try Gooseberry Bush also, although I have not been in it yet. Last time we went to the Roebuck there was no problem with us taking up the entire front room to ourselves! I still think we should keep it City Centre so we can all get there easily and, speaking for myself, on public transport

• Upvote 1

Perhaps people should agree to just have a monthly meet, it certainly seems like there's an appetite for it (if not the organisation). If the 'third Wednesday of every month' or whatever was set people could attend as and when was convenient.

That's an idea I've also thought of, and I think it might work, but with one possible problem.

If we said eg "the first Thursday in the month at the Roebuck" - nobody would go every time, but everybody would go sometimes, so on any "first Thursday in the month" you could turn up knowing there would be a random selection of Nottstalgians there.

The hiccup might be if, by a chance, only one person happened to turn up that month. Hello Jimmy No-mates.

• Upvote 2

The hiccup might be if, by a chance, only one person happened to turn up that month. Hello Jimmy No-mates.

But surely most people would put a message on here saying that they were going --- or not, as the case may be

• Upvote 1

I think the possible problem of someone turning up and no one being there, unlikely though that might be, could be averted by having a stuck or pinned thread 'SEPTEMBER MEETING' at the top of the board where those that wish to attend stick their name. After the day of the meet it could be unpinned and left to naturally drift down the board and disappear and be replaced by another pinned thread with the next month as a title.

I'd say by looking how it has grown over a good while that it could easily be a monthly meet. People enjoy the get-togethers and always seem to be looking forward to the next one. It's just so unwieldy at the moment with no one, naturally, feeling like they can take the lead and dictate when and where people should meet. Not wanting to step on other's toes, quite rightly, seems to be holding the thing back.

• Upvote 3

Suggesting the first (or second or third) ......day in each month, could exclude those who have standing appointments on that day. How about rolling it through the week (except Sunday)? Venue could also roll round a few, with a vote on here to decide where. Any time will be too early for some and too late for others but as a starter for ten I'll suggest 7pm.

If attendance is low, suggest dropping every other month.

Example rota (avoids early date in Jan hence third week and avoids Fri/Sat in December):

Third Wednesday in January, Venue 1

Third Thursday in February, Venue 2

Third Friday in March, Venue 3

Third Saturday in April, Venue 4

Third Monday in May, Venue 1

Third Tuesday in June, Venue 2

Third Wednesday in July, Venue 3

Third Thursday in August, Venue 4

Third Friday in September, Venue 1

Third Saturday in October, Venue 2

Third Monday in November, Venue 3

Third Tuesday in December, Venue 4

Or,1st Wednesday in every Second Month eg Jan7th

March 4th

May 6th

July 1st

Sept 2nd

Nov 4th

One extra in December for Christmas

If the January one is to close to the Christmas one, it could be the Second Wednesday, just for that one?

If all the local Nottstalgians wanted little get togethers in between, that would be understandable.

We would make as many as we could, but because of Hotels and travel costs, we would not make them all. But that's OK with us. Simples?

• Upvote 1

I've slept better just lately. It's the intelligent conversation .

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Calling Banjo. How about you tell us the evening you would like to meet up with us when you are in Nottingham. Note that Melissa can't make 1st and 7th of October. We will stick with the Roebuck on St James' Street.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is it that hippo girl's message, reproduced above, is nowhere to be seen on my computer? Carni has it and has told me where to look, but it isn't there. What else might I not be seeing? Anyone else having this kind of problem.

In the case of messages regarding meetings, there should be a dedicated topic title that is only used to inform of meetings proposed or actual.