Visiting Nottingham

On the 13th Sept, We are dropping our Son and partner off in Nottingham. They are staying at The Ibis on Fletcher Gate for a weeks Holiday. What a compliment they pay us. Of all of the places in the British Isles to choose from. They choose Nottingham as their favorite City. Brought up with class, I say! They have plans for..Wollaton Hall, Belvoir Castle, The Tunnels, Robin Hood and Ghost tours( if still operating) and generally strolling the streets of the City. If any one knows of any local events of interest happening, we would be be pleased to investigate. They won't have a car, so will be limited to Buses and Trains. By the way, does any one know if the'Hot Pea Stall' in the Market is still open? Many thanks for any tips.

• Upvote 6

Here's one I did a few years ago, catch the Robin Hood Line train to Newstead then walk down the lane to Newstead Abbey, it's a lovely walk, past the site of Annesley Sheds, then into the park, if I remember right it was free to get into the park and gardens, you just have to pay to go round the house.

I don't know what the bus arrangements are to Edwinstowe these days, we used to catch the East Midland bus from Huntingdon Street many years ago when we spent weekends with my uncle. I loved my weekends in Sherwood Forest, there must still be a service I would have thought, then they can go and visit the Major Oak or better still go for a wander into the depths of the real forest where the tourists don't go.

• Upvote 1

A book that might be interesting for a visit to Nottingham is one I bought recently from the Tourist & Information Office under the Council House. It's called "Walks by Public Transport In Nottingham" by Paul Madely £9.99.

It lists 20 walks around the city (few just outside) and gives details including buses to catch, eating & drinking places, full description of travelling round each 'walk' and of course what to see.

There's no publisher mentioned so I can only assume it's either been published by the writer himself or the tourist office.

If you want more details about the walks let me know.

• Upvote 1

The Broadway Cinema/Media centre for a film/food might be a visit at only a few minutes walk away.

As something different, the Nottingham Panthers ice hockey team play a home game on the 13th. Again, but a few minutes walk away.

Newstead Abbey is a nice idea. I think there's a gate and a small charge at the gardens nowadays. After walking from Newstead to the abbey you can then walk down the main drive (1.8m) to the A60 and catch a Pronto bus near The Hutt to the Vic Centre. Every ten minutes during the day.

A visit to the Galleries of Justice and/or Nottingham Contemporary which are both very close to Fletcher Gate.

Lace Market Theatre, just around the corner.

Lakeside Arts Centre and Nottingham Playhouse.

Train to Newark on a market day is a few pounds return and about 35 minutes journey through pleasant countryside.

Visit to historic Southwell and it's minster. The Workhouse is great too. Nottingham City Transport 100 bus from King Street, three per hour.

• Upvote 2

Belvoir Castle might be a problem if they are using public transport, because nothing passes it or goes near it unless the like long walks.

And also The Castle and Gardens are now closed until Easter 2015, because they are only opened a few days each year, to the public.

Also reading this thread with interest due to my upcoming visit.

Question if I may, where is good reasonable places to park now near the city ? I like to park up and just wander around taking in old memories, I have sometimes parked in the Vic Center but from memory it's very expensive, any other places recommended ?

I usually come in via Carlton road or Colwick road or maybe even down Woodborough road.

I do have an Australian ACROD (disability) card due to my arthritis and crook back, but unsure if it would be accepted in the UK now, and I only tend to use it if it's really playing up bad, so don't mind paying for parking so long as it's reasonable.

What days are the Newark markets on ? Is there any car boot sales worth a visit ?

Sorry Carni to pinch the thread.

banjo48,

We'll share owt wi yo miduck. :biggrin:

When we come to Nottingham for the Goose Fair, we usually visit family at Gedling first, and also head to Nottingham through Colwick. We have used a Park and Ride from Colwick in the past (not sure if it's just for G-F time)? There was also a good Car Boot Sale around there somewhere. We haven't been to the Car Boot for quite a few years so I hope someone living in the area can confirm if both things are still available.

#12 Banjo48

You could always use the park and ride into town. There's one by the QMC that charges about £3.00 per car, don't know where the others are but I'm sure other Nottstalgians will tell you.

As I remember it, Newark Markets are on every day except Sunday and Tuesday.

Monday is the flea market

Wednesday is main market with also cattle market and antiques market at riverside

Thursday is farmers market and horse market last Thursday every month

Friday and Saturday main market days again

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The weeks sight seeing holiday in Nottingham for Chris and Kaz ended today. They have had a great week, with the weather being brilliant as well. They didn't make a lot of the places we all suggested, as they explained that they were happy exploring the City its self. Each had a £15 bus pass, but mainly used it around and about town. They visited Colwick Woods and Park. Accidently. By getting on the wrong bus. I told them the gory story about the murder in 1844 at a place called 'Savilles Spinney' named after William Saville. Who murdered his wife and children in that place. Chris said. He was glad I told him after they had visited the Woods!

The pair of them were besotted with Wollaton Park and Hall, and visited on Three Days, spending 4/6 hrs each time.

Their visit to The Halls of Justice was another place they enjoyed.

They dined in different venues each evening, and among their favourites were...Pitcher and Piano on High Pavement and Wagamama on Burton Street for Oriental food.

There you go.... Our Fair City has done it again. It has won the hearts of two Black Country Tourists. Great Stuff.

• Upvote 7

sue B,

They loved it at Wollaton Park, and spent most of the time walking the grounds, feeding Squirrels and watching the Deer.

It's been many years since I went there. I must visit again soon. I remember the building being one of my favourite places. Did there used to be some kind of Animal or Large Skeleton in the main entrance, or is my memory playing tricks!

• Upvote 1