• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

David - if you are at Mallaig, then you ARE a long way from Nottingham. BUT if you were to visit Compo by train (assuming trains still stopped at his station), you'd be even farther away. By my reckon

Sorry about the break, I hope the pics, the panoramic view of Harringworth Viaduct! So around a long bend and there it is, over a mile of dead straight track across the top of 90ft. high viaduct, fla

On the Antique Roadshow recently a man showed part of his 242 piece collection of what to me are rather insignificant items of railwayana, namely the builders name plate usually fixed to the driving w

York, Carlisle, Rugby for me.

Never got to Carlisle in the steam days :(

4 loco sheds (Kinkmoor,Upperby,Canal & Durran Hill)there were others prior to 1923.

You could see both L.M.S & L.N.E.R. pacifics

Trainspotting gave me a thorough knowledge of the UK's geography and the names of far away lands.

• Upvote 1

Not forgetting Kings & Castles, Derby Winners and famous people from history and literature.

Other things I learnt as a trainspotter

Sprinting 100 yards at record speed to elude the shed foreman.

Seeing how flat you could make a penny.

Finding out how hard it was to wash both red & blue biro from your shirt sleeve.

How to remove grit from your friends eye with the folded corner of a piece of paper.

Matching countless numbers to names in your minds eye.

Writing things down accurately at breakneck speed.

• Upvote 1

I agree with all of above....+ picking out best notebooks from sissons- following a griser into the sheds- layering the clothes- school mates went skating or catching gudgeon at Attenborough gravel pits- me k opping westerns and impressing girls about brush4's and type 2 electrics-- NOT!!!

Don't forget that we learned about the British Empire and the army regiments from the LMS engines.

Train spotting taught me more about British history and geography than five years at FFGS.

I should have spent more time at Tamworth, I might have passed some O levels !!!!

Crap !!! They displaced Jubes, Scots and Black Fives.

• Upvote 1

Trainspotting gave me a thorough knowledge of the UK's geography and the names of far away lands.

Me too Smiffy,..........Dad was a Goods Guard at Annesley,and on the on the inside of the Lav.door were always Railway Goods train timetables' and as i sat there as a boy i read them everyday,always remember Woodford being a destination,and Dad always mentioned it.

Being football mad as a lad also learnt me Geography,had to know where all the teams were,and later as i travelled the country in my work always had to visit the grounds.....Amazing how many times i was just let in and given a bit of a tour for free,probably would'nt happen now in the 'cash' driven football world.