The geese are now returning to Britain after a summer in the arctic. Many skeins of them are now arriving and pausing for food locally and ovenighting on Loch Watten, Caithness. Not sure which species is arriving just now though.

I have also noticed an increase in numbers of siskins munching their way through my Rosa rugosa hips, which is nice.

• Upvote 4

I would expect the Barnacles and Pink Foot to be arriving on our shores now. This year we have no plans to travel up to the Solway to see them, might try to get over to Martin Mere for the spectacle of the Pink Foots sometime.

The Pink Foot have arrived somewhere up north, they are having a

stopover before moving to Norfolk. Saw it on TV this morning while

having my first cup of tea in bed.

I was delighted to see a Green Woodpecker in our garden this morning. Used to see them a lot when living in the countryside but a mile out of the city centre must be unusual?

Must be something good they're after Lizzie .

Worms surfacing due to the wet weather,

Just got back from North Norfolk and it looks like some Pink feet have already arrived,plenty of Oyster catchers on the beach,alongside the Black headed gull's.

We have been watching the Grey lag skiens fly over our place each night at about 18.30hrs on their way to Thurlby lake to roost,great sights and sounds

Rog

Pink Feet have been noted flying South over Shetland since 24th September, 1600+ being counted on the 27th. Barnacle Geese and Grey Lags have also been seen moving South in large numbers.

On another point, about ten days ago I was talking to some members of the Notts Birdwatchers who were up here on holiday, and .they told me that they had ringed over two hundred juvenile Barn Owls in South Notts this year, many pairs having two clutches, This compares with only 12 ringed last year. the birds were in nest boxes put up by the club. They have also been improving (expanding) the habitat favoured by Nightjars and Woodlarks in North Notts, so that there are now ninety pairs of the former and a significant increase in the latter.

BTW they enjoyed their trip here, as well as seeing the more common residents and migrants such as Merlin, Twite, Rock Pipit, Black Guillemot, Purple Sandpiper, Yellow Browed Warbler, Barred Warbler etc, they also 'twitched' Myrtle Warbler, White's Thrush and the spectacular Siberian Rubythroat.

I asked them about the Cetti's Warblers at Attenborough, and was told that they are doing well, and that they have also colonised the area around the Netherfield ash lagoons.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...