Well, that's that then !

As many are aware of my recent health problems, a few weeks ago I was "let go" by mutual agreement by my employer.

Now that I am eligible for Pension Credits from tomorrow, I have just come off the phone to the DWP & am now officially a pensioner !

No more sick notes, no more getting out of bed on a cold winter's morning (are you reading this Melissa ?) Officially I've been put out to grass.

So now I can get under Mrs Catfan's feet all day !

• Upvote 10

I'll be driving down the Hucknall bypass at 6-30 AM one cold snowy morning, shivering, fingers numb, waiting for the heater to start blowing warm. I'll hear a strange laughing noise coming from Bulwell way. It'll be Catfan laughing his head off! :)

All the best to you & enjoy your lay-ins..

• Upvote 3

collyo410, I have on many occasions struggled on building sites when then ground is covered in mud, it can be very easy to get stuck with a 26t wagon, not any more, ho ho ho !

• Upvote 2

Now your Missus will hand you several sheets of paper with "honeydoos" on it that keeps growing year after year....LOL Mines a book thicker than Tolstoy's War and Peace.

• Upvote 2

I was on pension credits Feb 2009 - Feb 2014

I had been unemployed since Sept 2005 with no prospect of work.

Going on to pension credits was the best option and as catfan says no signing on or Joke shop making life difficult & the best thing double the money as JSA.

I have been on a full pension(plus serps & a private pension) since February and life in the main is good. :jumping:

• Upvote 2

Good for you Catfan. Enjoy!

We have just returned home after 8 months working away, and are now in hibernation mode until next January. It was great waking up this morning and getting up when we felt like it, we can eat, sleep and play at our leisure with no timetable to keep. Bliss.

• Upvote 3

I don't mind going to work. It's when I get there that upsets me (LOL). I retire officially in 18 months time. But I remember what my Dad said just before he died. He said he would love to be able to go to work again. My own health has deteriorated during the last year but I don't think I can retire yet.

• Upvote 1

I'm luck I'm in good health & would NOT want to return to work.

I have an allotment which I go to most days during about nine months & about once a week during winter(weeds don't go on holiday :))

I go for a walk most days.

And have regular days out to places such as Newark,Lincoln,Stamford and believe it or not ......................Nottingham(about twice a month)

I do a lot of jig saws & read a lot.

• Upvote 5

When I was offered voluntary redundancy in March, I jumped at the opportunity. After 41 years of work, and 40 years of paying into a damn good pension scheme, it turned out that I'm nearly as well off financially as when I was working (once my redundancy paid off the mortgage).

Time has slowed down, and all the stress from 50-60 hour weeks, the political cr@p at work and hammering up and down motorways, has gone.

Trouble is that the missus keeps finding me jobs to do!

• Upvote 1

Good on yer Catfan, now you can wander around Bulwell market and down the Bogs whenever the fancy takes, but beware, you might think that the days will be longer with no regimented work pattern, but I've found out that laiking around makes them go so much faster. Sunday night's are best knowing you don't have to drag yersen outa yer bed to start another weekly round of drudgery, you can do all that at home for Mrs Catfan who no doubt will show you how to work the Hoover and how much Fairy Liquid to use for washing up!

• Upvote 2

Three other points I failed to mention about pension credits are 1) you qualify for winter fuel supplement

2)Free prescriptions(includes free eye tests & Glasses)

3)Council Tax benefit

Council tax benefit is payable on certain restrictions.

• Upvote 1

To be honest I took as much as I could when I was on pension credits

I had two lots of Glasses, I also go my wifes prescriptions free,(My wife now uses the pre payment scenme) I got council tax benefit(till I retired)

There are other bits you can claim but you will have to look into it your self

Don't be ashamed to claim folks as you paid tax & national insurance for decades. ;)

Don't forget the £10 christmas bonus !

Changed mine & Mrs Catfan's dental check up to next week, saved me just under £40 quid.

I won't be embarrassed claiming what I'm entitled to, there are many who have only lived here a short time getting everything going.