• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody on here have redifusion I remember going to my grandmas house she put the telly turned the switch on the wall and the radio came out as a nine year old I thought it was great I think there hea

I bought my first colour TV from Wigfalls in 1973 a 22"GEC 6 channel push button tuner thing. What an absolute pile of garbage.

The tv was probably ok I worked for wigfalls at that time,it was probly me that installed it cat fan ,sorry I wasnt very good at my job.

Posted Images

Mercurydancer - I loved listening to them on Sunday mornings - I think her name is Tara and she is now a Barrister............

I remember reading about Dennis McCarthy's funeral, I think half of Nottingham turned out to line the streets as the hearse went past. By the way how did you pronounce Rediffusion? For us it was Red-iffusion, posher folks said Reedi-fusion.

Dennis - you either loved listening to him or couldn't stand him. Eventually, he wasn't broadcasting just to the Radio Nottingham area, the programme was also transmitted via Radio Derby, Leicester and Lincoln. He had the total monopoly of radio listeners over the age of 50 in the east midlands.

And yes katyjay, the combined funerals of Winston Churchill, Queen Victoria, and Lady Di would have been overshadowed by the Dennis event.

Dennis Mccarthy lived not far from us in Bingham on the A46. You'd see him around the market place sometimes and he was always bright and breezy. He was certainly an institution, especially to the old folk, my dad was a huge fan.

BTW we always called it Reddy-fusion.

Although the later switch boxes had channels A to L - the channels after about G or H were not wired up. This meant that when Radio Nottingham came along they had to share a channel with BBC2 (possibly F). During the day you got Radio Nottingham sound and BBC2 pictures (as BBC2 then only showed its test card and occasional afternoon 'test' documentary film in the mornings and afternoons) and then from early evening it was BBC2 sound and pictures. This was a problem if you wanted to watch the BBC2 afternoon documentaries (e.g. when you were off sick from school) or listen to Radio Nottingham in the evening!

We must have been posh - we called it Reedifusion!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...