• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rubbish!....You put on here anything you think will be of interest. Those with their own books won't need to read it....others with no interest aren't forced to read it... But some of us are interest

GOOD EXAMPLE OF A BRAIN STUDY: IF YOU CAN READ THIS OUT LOUD YOU HAVE A STRONG MIND. AND BETTER THAN THAT: ALZHEIMER'S IS A LONG, LONG, WAYS DOWN THE ROAD BEFORE IT EVER GETS ANYWHERE NEAR YOU. TO MY

The latest book I am reading is on Nottingham and published in 1938 has come up with some very interesting facts . Did you Know? After the War, Nottingham was faced with a serious housing shortage.

Strange how different people in a thread like this can prove to be related in some way. 1. Philip Boobbyer was married to Watson Fothergill's sister. 2. His predecessor-but-one as MOH (Edward Cox Seaton) apparently carried out a survey of Nottingham jointly with Marriott Ogle Tarbotton, in the early 1870s. Seaton's involvement arose from his responsibility under the Sanitary Act 1866.

• Upvote 2

I thought this article was interesting, the way Hucknall is described.

'At Nottingham on 8th April 1771 Christopher Ashton of Dirty Hucknall in the parish of Sutton in Ashfield, Framework Knitter, was charged by William Davidson, Overseer of the poor of Dirty Hucknall, with leaving his wife and children chargeable to the Township of Dirty Hucknall. The Court therefore ordered Ashton to pay 6d per week towards his family's maintenance the Overseer consenting'.

Is this why people say mucky huckna now a days?

Books? I think my house will eventually collapse under the weight. I just can't resist.

Oh by the way - another Nottingham fact. Underneath the houses in the top end of Broxtowe estate is buried an ancient British village from which many artifacts were recovered. In fact the Romans must have taken over as many Roman coins were dug up. When they eventually demolish and excavate they will probably find more interesting stuff among the beer cans and fag ends.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bubblewrap.....the infamous book.......only 550 copies printed but can be bought for about £20 without DJ, my copy has a DJ.

Title: The Book of Nottingham N. A. H. T. 1938

The book is a conference souvenir copy which was presented to the Delegate at the Annual Conference of the National Association of Head Teachers in 1938.

It's a book that's been in the family for years gathering dust and now I have more leisure time I started to read some of the less popular books we have (over 3000). I thought the content on more unusual statistics relative to Nottingham may have appealed but obviously not.

Hi,

This book is an example of the excellent work done by professional associations (trade unions). The history of the London Society of Compositors and the Typographical Association describe how these print workers trade unions ran their own pension fund and sick pay fund from the mid 1900s until the dawn of the welfare state. In more modern times NASUWT has worked hard to improve the lot of the teaching profession. To return to the theme of housing in Nottingham, I was brought up in a new council house in Bilborough. My late father was born in Nottingham in a street that has since been demolished. His mum died of TB when he was only 7 years old. To return from the jungles of India and Burma, after serving in the RAF in WW2, and live in a new and "modern" home must have been wonderful for my dad. I can compare this standard of home in the 1950s to the place my husband lived at the same time, in the depths of rural East Anglia. At that time they had water from a pump and no electricity until the late 1950s. This demonstrates that Nottingham was a good place to be and the effort put into the development of the city was of great benefit to the ordinary citizen. I hope this does not sound like a rant! It is praise for Nottingham. If you have sleepless nights the two books about the history of the print workers unions are available through the inter-library lending service! Thanks for reading this.

#32 In one of my histories of Nottingham "Blackner". page 239

There are two parts of Hucknall mentioned

Torkard & Dirty? the history was written in 1812 so could this be where "Mucky" comes from.

• 3 weeks later...

Stuff you didn't know .....

Just when you thought that you knew it all ..... enjoy.

Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better than men
--------- --------- ---------
Coca-Cola was originally green.
------------ ----
It is possible to lick your elbow. (Seen on QI)
------------
The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska
------------
The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28%
(now get this...)
------------
The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%
------------
The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven in the USA:

$ 16,400
------------
The average number of people airborne over the U.S. in any given hour:
------------
Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
------------
The first novel ever written on a typewriter:
Tom Sawyer.
------------
The San Francisco Cable Cars are the only mobile National Monuments.
------------
Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:

Spades - King David

Hearts - Charlemagne

Clubs -Alexander, the Great

Diamonds - Julius Caesar
------------
111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987, 654,321
------------
Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4,
John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.
------------
Q. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what?

A. Their birthplace
------------
Q. Most boat owners name their boats. What is the most popular boat name requested?

A. Obsession
------------
Q.. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter 'A'?

A. One thousand
------------
Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printers have in common?

A. All were invented by women.
------------
Q. What is the only food that doesn't spoil?

A. Honey
------------
Q. Which day are there more collect (reversed charge) calls than any other day of the year?

A. Father's Day
------------
In Shakespeare's time:
mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes, the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase...'Goodnight , sleep tight'
------------
It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.
------------
In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts... So in old England , when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them 'Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down.' . . .

It's where we get the phrase 'mind your P's and Q's'
------------

Many years ago in England , pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill , they used the whistle to get some service. 'Wet your whistle' is the phrase inspired by this practice.
------------
At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
------------

YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING in a high tech world when...

1. You accidentally enter your PIN on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of three.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.

6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your mobile phone to see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries...

7. Every commercial on television has a web site at the bottom of the screen

8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't even have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it

10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your coffee

11. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. : )

12 You're reading this and nodding and laughing.

13. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this message.

14. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.

15. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't a #9 on this list .

~~~~~~~~~~~AND FINALLY~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

NOW you're LAUGHING at yourself! Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused!" (Unknown Author)

Go on, forward this to your friends. You know you want to! Go lick your elbow.

• Upvote 6

I'm not home yet Michael, but just catching up with you lot. Had a pretty hectic time and could hardly call it a 'break' but nice to have a change of scenery and a little sunshine.

• Upvote 3

Did you know??(skeleton and closet job,this one!!) my Grandfather Joseph Holland of Bloomsgrove st Radford-served "very bravely" with the forgotton 14th army in Burma in ww2. Served under Orde Wingate ( nutter apparently!) and alongside chindits. Any whoo! Upon his return to Nottm he simply married a woman bigamously!! Forgot about his missus and 3 kids. My grandma saw the wedding snaps in Evening Post ( heading "war hero marries") she went to Trinity Square army office?- reported it- he did time in clink - never saw him again. It is on Posts history- but i can only get the headlines up!! (maybe a notts techno could put it up!! Cheers, ian.)

Cricket Fans did you know?

August 21, 22 and 23rd in 1856 ......a cricket match was played at Newark between eleven of All England and eleven of Nottinghamshire. The representatives of All England scored 84 and 84 and the home team 82 and 79, thus losing by 7 runs.

Well blow me,..............must go, ive got a Banana turning black in the kitchen, lol.

• Upvote 3

GOOD EXAMPLE OF A BRAIN STUDY: IF YOU CAN READ THIS OUT LOUD YOU
HAVE A STRONG MIND. AND BETTER THAN THAT: ALZHEIMER'S IS A LONG,
LONG, WAYS DOWN THE ROAD BEFORE IT EVER GETS ANYWHERE NEAR YOU.

TO MY "SELECTED" STRANGE-MINDED FRIENDS:
SEE IF YOU CAN READ THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IN RED AND BLACK BELOW,
ONLY VERY GOOD MINDS CAN READ THIS.
THIS IS WEIRD, BUT INTERESTING!

7H15 M3554G3
53RV35 7O PR0V3
H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N
D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5!
1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5!
1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG
17 WA5 H4RD BU7
N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3
Y0UR M1ND 1S
R34D1NG 17
4U70M471C4LLY
W17H 0U7 3V3N
7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17,
B3 PROUD! 0NLY
C3R741N P30PL3 C4N
R3AD 7H15.
PL3453 F0RW4RD 1F
U C4N R34D 7H15.

IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU HAVE A STRANGE MIND, TOO. ONLY 55 PEOPLE
OUT OF 100 CAN.

I CDNUOLT BLVEIEE THAT I CLUOD AULACLTY UESDNATNRD WHAT I WAS
RDANIEG. THE PHAONMNEAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID, AOCCDRNIG TO A
RSCHEEARCH AT CMABRIGDE UINERVTISY, IT DSENO'T MTAETR IN WHAT OERDR
THE LTTERES IN A WORD ARE, THE OLNY IPROAMTNT TIHNG IS THAT THE
FRSIT AND LAST LTTEER BE IN THE RGHIT PCLAE. THE RSET CAN BE A TAOTL
MSES AND YOU CAN STILL RAED IT WHOTUIT A PBOERLM. THIS IS BCUSEAE
THE HUAMN MNID DEOS NOT RAED ERVEY LTETER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WORD AS
A WLOHE. AZANMIG HUH? YAEH AND I AWLYAS TGHUHOT SLPELING WAS
IPMORANTT!

EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT OLD, YOU WILL FIND THIS INTERESTING....

THIS IS A TEST --------------- GOOD LUCK!!!
HOW OLD ARE YOUR EYES?
THE EYE TEST

CAN YOU FIND THE B'S
(THERE ARE 2 B'S)

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
ONCE YOU'VE FOUND THE B'S
FIND THE 1