My ability to buy decent pork sausages where I live is virtually nil. I can get good ones if I am willing to drive some distance, but don't want to do that everytime I fancy a nice sausage. Pre-minced meat, be it pork, lamb or beef is rubbish - bone scrapings, etc. So I recently bought myself one of these.
MG450.jpg

Tried it out yesterday for the first time using some pork belly as the meat.
pork.jpg

Partially froze the pork to make it easier to mince, removed the skin and cut it into smallish chunks. Put it through the mincer using the large cutter, then mixed in some onion, sage, thyme, salt, cracked pepper and bread crumbs, and put it through the machine again using the smallest cutter. Too much hassle buying sausage skins, so formed it into sausage shaped lumps and wrapped each lump in clear film, and popped into the freezer.

This evening I tried out my home-made sausages for dinner and they were magnificient. I could say that were as good as the real thing, but I reckon they were better. Whilst the machine cost, being able to mince cheaper cuts of meat myself will soon repay the investment. I tend to use a lot of minced meat, for hamburgers, bolognese sauces, etc, and now sausages, and reckon I will recoup the cost of the mincer within a year easy. My home-made sausages tasted like the ones we used to get thirty to forty years ago with real meat, instead of the rubbish they blast off meat bones with high pressure water.

As long as you gently unwrap the raw sausage mince that has been frozen, and allow it to completely defrost then it will hold together under a grill until cooked.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My ability to buy decent pork sausages where I live is virtually nil. I can get good ones if I am willing to drive some distance, but don't want to do that everytime I fancy a nice sausage. Pre-mince

What's wrong with a picture of a sausage on a thread about.........................sausages?

Oh no, the New Inn, now renamed The Carrington (I think, but should know really!) isn't very nice. I won't say any more. Doctors Orders has always been a really friendly place. The guys who started

I used to mince suet and mix it with my sausage meat to make it more moist when we lived in Bathurst. There used to be a butcher who sold meat in bulk, so we got him to throw in a couple of pounds of suet in for free. Suet is the hard fat around the beasts kidneys.

I'm lucky as we have a good butcher in our village. He makes sausages and burgers which are great, albeit expensive - but because they are so packed full of meat, we don't tend to eat as many in one sitting as with the cheaper Supermarket ones.

My hubby was a Butcher in Cinderhill years ago, he was Malc Taylor and had his own sausage recipe..........was delicious.......

• Upvote 1

Was his recipe "secret" if not how about posting it here??

• Upvote 1

I take it you like real ale Bubblewrap, have you been to Doctors Orders on Mansfield Road, Carrington? If you haven't you should try it, you wouldn't be disappointed. Small drinking area, waiter service, no bar, you can even take your own food in to eat. Several decent guess beers but not cheap.

No not yet:

Trouble with Doctors Orders is they don't open at lunch time except Saturday (Sunday?)

I keep meaning to visit when I've been in town on a Saturday liunch time but not managed it ...................................yet ;)

Was his recipe "secret" if not how about posting it here??

It was all meat, a real treat.......lots of herbs and spices too....

• Upvote 1

Don't know never heard of it...............

Lizzie,

I have only been there a couple of times when we did the Mansfield Road pub crawl. Very friendly mine host gave us a lot of free tasters. I had not realised they stopped trading at lunchtimes. We also enjoyed the New Inn because they had a dart board and pool table.

Oh no, the New Inn, now renamed The Carrington (I think, but should know really!) isn't very nice. I won't say any more.

Doctors Orders has always been a really friendly place. The guys who started it up 2 years ago have sold the business, on 1st December, to the crew who own Magpie Brewery and the format has remained exactly the same, free tasters, no actual bar, waiter/waitress service, no music nor TV Sport (so encouraging people to chat) and mostly friendly customers. We meet and chat to new faces most times we go in there. Often a problem finding somewhere to put yer bum on a Friday and Saturday night though. I often wonder if there are other Nottstalgians sitting there! We should have badges shouldn't we?!!!

• Upvote 2

Lizzie,

Was it the Carrington's who kept the New Inn years ago when it was owned by Shipstones Brewery?

Do you know Rob Arthur, one of the original owners of DO's?

I think I just might make it my local....when did you say you go there?