I've wondered that. It's had 3 or 4 makeovers in the last few years but it still doesn't pull in the punters.

They are a bit more expensive than most of the nearby competitors. Different paint on the walls, and a few new chairs and carpets is no substitute for lower prices.

• Upvote 1

It was an Irish pub....I used to go in there in the 60's and 70's sometimes and there were always loads of Irish people in there...............My friend's brother took it over in the 70's he was part Irish (grandparent's from Ireland)...........He was very popular and the pub was always busy when he was there........

The area changed and it was never the same.................

The Borlase was one of my favourite pubs late 90s right up to 2011 when the many changeovers happened.

The extra pence on a glass of good wine didn't bother me, as the ambiance and eclectic mix of people ( usually like myself waiting for the running horse to start ) were worth it......

The garden and roof terrace in summer was an oasis in the middle of a roundabout.....soooo sad to see its demise

• Upvote 1

I agree! Wetherspoons has good pub food at sensible prices and even the calories are listed! They are located in some great buildings too. My favourite is "Archies" in Aberdeen. Great atmosphere. The building was a bank before and the pillars and wooden panels make me think of Gringotts Bank in Harry Potter!

How strange that on a Nottingham forum I find my favourite 'Spoons' is mentioned, namely The Archibald Simpson in Aberdeen. We always try the local Wetherspoons when we are south, last year we were in the Roe Buck, the one on Mansfield Road, and the Red Lion in Skegness.

When returning home we always have a night in Aberdeen before catching the ferry to Shetland, and last year there was a wonderful range of obscure Scottish real ales on tap when we were there.The food is excellent and the staff are great.

There used to be several good pubs at the east end of Union Street, but the Prince of Wales and the Blackfriars have been taken over by Greene King, and the Tilted Wig and The Moorings no longer have hand pumps.

In the Archibald Simpson they have pictures of Lord Byron on the walls, it seems that Aberdeen claims him as one of their own, shades of the Tykes claiming Robin Hood.

• Upvote 1

Another decent Wetherspoons north of the border is The Crystal Palace on Jamaica Street in Glasgow. Visited there quite a few times when I was in Glasgow on business.

Local beers and local food, all at a price good enough to stay under the radar of over-enthusiastic company accountants, when paid-for on a corporate credit card. :)

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Interesting. In their range of beers they sold ales brewed by Nottingham Brewery. I had a pint (£3.30) there last week and it was OK.

I can't say I particularly like the beer brewed by the Lincoln Brewery, only average at best in my opinion.

Where Wetherspoons score well is selling a large variety of beers at very reasonable prices. Not the scandalous rip off prices demanded by Borlase Warren & others like it. Refuse to pay those inflated prices & the price will come down in time.

I'm not surprised the Borlase has changed hands again, such a small pub as well, you can't get the bodies in.