I just came across this film of a tram journey from Carrington St to Victoria Station in 1906 so I uploaded it to Youtube. Noticeably all the pubs seem to be Home Ales. I don't know if this has been put here before but I couldn't find it with a search.

• Upvote 4

I have seen similar before but not that one. The short bits of missing footage must be where the cameraman had to stop to wind his camera up!

• Upvote 1

Glad to see that horses aren't being used to pull these contraptions - I hate to see films of animal's being used badly, it upsets me........

• Upvote 3

Blondie - #1. The opening shot of the film shows a horse-drawn tram travelling down Carrington Street, and at the 3-minute period.

I noticed that there were idiot pedestrians and cyclists showing not a care in the world and totally oblivious to other road users even in those days. !!!!!

I know past members of my family were involved in fastening extra horses to trams at the bottom of chapel bar to help them up the hill. Obviously before electric trams. They also had to unhitch them at the top and bring them back down for the next tram. I think the operatives were just boys and doubled as points switchers.

#13. I think the extra horse for the hill climb was called a cock-horse. (Ride a cock-horse to Banbury Cross). I read that once the horse had got to the top of Derby Road, it was detatched and then it made its own way back down to the bottom - it had done it so many times it did not need someone to take it down.

• Upvote 4