Lone Ranger & Cisco Kid

:biggrin:I was at a loose end yesterday, dogs walked, garden tidy, papers read, car unavailable, so I decided to flick through some obscure TV channels.

After a few minutes I spotted two favourite programmes from my youth, so I decided to watch them "back to back"

The Lone Ranger and The Cisco Kid !

The opening soundtrack of both brought back lots of memories, wonderful stuff ! I settled down for a hour of nostalgia.

I had forgotten all about their sidekicks Tonto & Pancho.

Lots of bullets flying around but nobody seemed to get killed, just "winged"

A group of about six "baddies" were captured and tied up with what would now pass for a washing line.

They made no attempt to escape even though they were only secured with loose granny knots and were left alone for long periods.

As a youngster the term "Granny Knots" was always a puzzle to me, When first mentioned I looked at my Grandad with some suspicion and could only imagine what they were used for....

Bit of a disappointment really and just a touch disillusioned.... not as exciting as I remembered them.

Anyway, I must look up when they are on again so I can set them to be recorded......!!

• Upvote 5

redbowen, watch youtube old series all the time, like the radio stuff as well, the old signature tunes like 2 way family favourites, housewives choice, music while you work etc. not seen No Hiding Place yet, must look, and welcome to Nottstalgia

• Upvote 1

I want one of those handguns with no recoil, seems they only have them in movies....LOL

Poohbear. My mum always used to wonder why no TV characters ever needed the loo. Were they all constipated or something? Considering in the Sixties we only had two grainy black and white channels, there was some quite quality stuff. Remember Have Gun Will Travel, and Boots and Saddles. The Range Rider. And that's just the westerns. Emergency Ward 10 ???!!! And the very corny special effects (or lack of them) on Quatermass. I can't believe my mum used to watch that hiding behind the settee.

• Upvote 1

Quarterpast sorry, Quatermass, was very good for its time. The suspense and even the very idea of alien invasion was new to television. I think they did very well with the facilities and equipment available at the time. I bought the DVD of all three TV series but unfortunately, only a couple of "Quatermass Experiment" episodes survive. The TV version of Quarterpast in the pit is, in my opinion, far superior to the cinema version of some years later.

• Upvote 1

My earliest recollection of kids TV was when it was on a Saturday morning...Whirligig with Muffin the Mule and others...the earliest 'Western' I recall was based around 1910 'cos there was a biplane in it. The title music was the song...♪♪ Home home on the range ♪♪ where the deer and the antelope play......♪♪ No idea what it was called.

By the way, one of Muffins puppet friends was a black guy called 'Wolly the Gog'....that would go down well today wouldn't it?

The scariest prog on tv i remember was when i was about 9 yrs old, we had a 7" telly black & white obviously 1953/4 - me and my sister would usually be in bed by 8 pm, we lived in a prefab on wigman rd. i crept out of bed and peeked from behind the sofa at the tv, mam couldn't see or hear me and on the telly was a film called The Mystery of the Marie Celeste, about a ship that was found sailing with no one on board, i watched for about 30 mins and was terrified by it, mam finally found me, got me a good ;belting that time. been scared of horror films ever since.

#15 - Wasn't that from the opening of Bill & Ben? The house with the garden, and when the man who did the garden went for his dinner Bill & Ben could come out to play - which they did until Little Weed warned them the man was coming back from his dinner.

Poobear, not only did then never go for a pee, their horses suffered severe constipation too...LOL