What medical advice/treatment did you get as a child.

That lump on your wrist? It's a ganglion, get someone to hit it with a large heavy book.

That blister. It's an infection, I'll lance it and paint it purple.

That lump on your neck? It's a boil, put this tin of paste (Kaolin) in a pan of boiling water for about 10 minutes then apply the paste to the neck.

• Upvote 1

Soke it in hot salted water,..............and watch what you doing with it in future. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Anyone remember Dr.Much on Shakespeare Villas? I had really bad asthma and his advice was to hang over the road or truck when you come across tarmacing!! Maybe I should have munched on a tablet of Wrights coal tar soap.

Toothache, put an asprin on it. Boils Kaolin paultice, splinters sugar & soap paultice.

My great aunt and gran 5 drops of laudnam (spelling) in a little medicinal brandy, and all your troubles went away ! made you sleep good too. :-)

Stop that or you'll go blind...... !!!!!!!! LOL

• Upvote 1

My Gran use to tell us to rub goose grease in to your chest if you had a cold.

• Upvote 1

I trained for the S Johns Ambulance medal in the 50's. One of the things we were taught was not to put a burn under the tap, because it could cause an infection. Not so long after, the black St Johns handbook said that burns SHOULD be put under the tap. This was basically to stop the flesh from cooking and becoming a more serious burn. This is an example of how some old cures were plain daft.

Mam used to give me bread and butter fingers in hot milk when I was poorly. It worked because of the love and care that went with it.

• Upvote 2