Seeing as the Christmas word has been mentioned. Did you know.

The History of the Christmas Pudding

We’ve all seen pictures of the flaming Christmas pudding and I’m sure we’ve all tucked into one ourselves but why did the plum pudding become known as a Christmas treat? The plum pudding’s association with Christmas can be traced back to Medieval England with the Roman Catholic Church's decree that the "pudding should be made on the 25th Sunday after Trinity, that it be prepared with 13 ingredients to represent Christ and the 12 apostles.” It had its status confirmed as a Christmas treat in 1741 when King George I requested that plum pudding be served as part of his Christmas feast.

Although the modern day recipe wasn’t formed until Victorian times, recipes for Christmas pudding can be traced back to the 15th century where it was used not as a dessert but as a way of preserving meat, the resultant pies could be used to feed scores of people come Christmas. Around the 16th century it became common to mix items into the pudding for the people eating it, including small wishbones to bring luck to those who got them. So if you are debating whether or not to have Christmas pudding this year, think of the many years of tradition you will be missing out on if you don't.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you say the word gullible very very very slowly it sounds like orange?

Talking of Christmas puddings reminds me of what gets my nostalgia bud juices running more than anything else. When I used to read the Dandy and Beano, in the early post-war years, their Christmas edi

I think you could shoot a Welshman on a Sunday if he was wearing wellingtons & you were a sheep farmer.

Talking of Christmas puddings reminds me of what gets my nostalgia bud juices running more than anything else. When I used to read the Dandy and Beano, in the early post-war years, their Christmas editions always had the tops of the comic's title covered with snow. The features inside - Desperate Dan and the rest - always ended with everyone tucking into a big round Christmas pudding crowned with icing to represent snow. (Sigh) nostalgia aint what it used to be.

• Upvote 5

3 years ago I used farm Calvados instead of brandy to flame the Christmas pud. Nearly set the house on fire. Our dining room has a low beamed ceiling and the flames reached the beams! Scorched my eyebrows too. Mrs PP was not amused but the rest of the family thought it was hilarious. Used it a couple of times to get a stubborn BBQ going.

• Upvote 1

About the same as village "raki" from Crete I kept it in the freezer it remained liquid & was better than any liquid cleaner(eg Cilit Bang)

Good thing about it was it was cheap (about 2 Euros a litre)

Back to the Forest facts .

A match between Forest and Sheffield was the first where the ref (umpire at the time) used a whistle .

Before that the ref would shout "foul" or "play on" or wave a hanky .

Most online sites seem to say this was in 1879 but have seen a news archive report saying a Mr Brown suggested the idea for the same teams in 1872 .

• Upvote 1

I can clearly remember the New Year issue January 1961 - there were images of Korky the Cat on the header posed in the shape of 1961 which read the same upside down

Re Christmas Puddings - did you know it is still illegal to eat these on Christmas Day? Oliver Cromwell was a Puritan and stopped a lot of traditions associated with Christmas. They are still on the Statute Book, as is playing leapfrog I think....

#34, the parliamentary party banned christmas celebrations including feasting in the 1640's. The law lasted until 1660 when all laws enacted between 1642 and 1660 were repealed by the Restoration so it's not been on the statutes for 275 years.

• Upvote 2

It's funny how the same stories of laws supposedly still in place (if they ever were) survive.

A couple of 'existing laws' debunked

Is it legal to shoot Welshmen from the walls of Chester?

There never was a law permitting the shooting of Welshmen as such. In 1403, the then Prince of Wales (later Henry V) demanded that the Welsh be driven from the city after uprisings in Chester. That is all. No law permitting the killing of Welshmen at all. Even if it had been his intent that they were killed, there have been laws made that would since have overturned it.

Pregnant women can urinate in a policeman's helmet. I'm sure Mick is glad that this never has been anything other than made-up.

• Upvote 1

#39 DJ - I understood that the law stated that It was illegal to shoot Welshmen on Sundays. OK there was not a law permitting the shooting of Welshmen, but the 'never on a Sunday' law suggests that it was unofficially OK to shoot Welshmen on any other day. :laugh: .

Do you know ........ that Waving Hand gives me the creeps!

You need hands Lizzie Max Bygraves says so. teee heee

• Upvote 1

is it true Pubs were closed on Sundays in Cardiff?

I used to frequent the connie club in Netherfield and women were'nt allowed in the back bar room, bad news that

• 3 months later...

On Radio 3 they have a guest/celeb on for half an hour, Monday to Friday talking about their life, what they do and what music they like. This week it is Ian Rankin, the Scottish crime author. He was asked where he got the name Rebus from, for his main character, as it is not a Scottish name. He said that it was the name of a puzzle - a bit like Inspector Morse and morse being a code. He then said that he was in an Edinburgh pub once and a chap told him that his name really was Rebus. This surprised Rankin as he had not known it to be a person's name. The chap said that it was not uncommon in Poland, and had he seen it in the phone book. Rankin said that it never occurred to him to find a name in the phone book.

The chap then got the phone book from behind the bar and showed Rankin his entry - Rebus, Rankin Drive, Edinburgh. Spooky eh.

• Upvote 2