Scary parasitic fly

Saw one of these huge flies in the garden yesterday (Tachina grossa). I have to admit....I looked closely at the head just in case it was shouting "Help meeeee!"

The fly is the size of a bumble bee and lays its eggs on caterpillars. The eggs hatch and consume the pupa:

Tachina%252520grossa.jpg

Plenty of horse/deer fly around my parts, related to mozzies, but look like large flies. They land on you, attack you with their scissor like jaws and sap the blood, this happens in seconds!! By the time you feel them "biting" they have taken off.

All these creatures are prolific because of idiots craving for the banning of insecticides.

They want wild areas left to attract even more insects. Barmy, I'm sick to death of being bitten, spraying and rubbing on Anthisan.

In years gone by, I've even had to hav antibiotics on prescription. Crazy.

I know, I know. It's the little beggars that bite me I can't stand.

Btw, I spend an absolute fortune on various types of bird food, so I definitely do my bit.

• Upvote 1

I use flypapers,but only indoors,can't buy them in many places now,although I doubt if one of those massive flies would stick to a flypaper. Talking of flying things we once had a very strange one ,flying round like a bat out of hell making a very loud noise,I was told it was a cockchafer,never saw one again ,not sure if they bite. No rude comments please

Here in the far north of Scotland the midges are mighty. I suffer from some kind of magnetic attraction for them - they go for me and leave others around me alone. I also come up in large lumps when bitten. On the plus side, they feed large flocks of House Martins and swallows during the daytime and bats at night. All-in-all I'll vote to keep the insects.

Som years ago I was at Loch Awe, and was bitten beyond recognition. Tiny red spots that only lasted a couple of days.

All in all, I'll keep insects just to keep the bird population well fed.

• Upvote 1

We suffer millions of mosquitos, they vary in size from small to suck all your blood out on one suck! After them several types of ticks, then to top it off, try chiggers, so bloody tiny you can't see them, but they make a mess of the feet and ankles.

To add insult to injury try sweat bees, they like to get behind the knees or any fold of skin, so when you move they sting!

Now don't get me onto stings! Bloody paper wasps, better known as bald faced hornets, true hornets and yellow jackets, all ferocious buggers that inflict extremely painful stings!!

Don't think its been an infestation 'Loppy' just that the warmer weather seems to have made em' grumpy,it was down in Essex and they killed two dogs i think.

# 11 I've only ever seen ONE snake in England (other than pets or in the zoo of course) That was only a little grass snake slithering across the pavement where we used to live. I'm glad they're not common here as I really can't stand them!

Good, glad its not ADDING up to much :biggrin: I think it was the Daily Express online that I saw it in. I know some news outlets make a big deal of everything. However its pretty hard if your dog gets killed. Lived in the Nottingham area for 25 years and never saw a snake. Except a few two legged ones but that's another story.

Plenty of Adders and grass snakes in our quarry in Lincolnshire,go like greased lightening when they hear you

Rog

Why didn't the viper 'viper' nose?

Because the adder 'adder' 'andkerchief!

I was once on a weekend Guide Camp and 2 of us went for a walk through an overgrown field. We saw what I thought was a thick piece of rope on the path ahead and I thought I'd pick it up...... it suddenly moved away and I was so shocked, I've disliked snakes ever since.

• Upvote 1

While my poor wife gets bitten by every fly, midge and flying buzzing creatures on the planet, they never seem to touch me. I must be poisonous.