It was reported this morning that according to a 'POL', 70% of people support the monarchy. The result and its subject aside, has anyone ever been asked to take part in such a POL on any subject? I haven't and I know of no one who has.

Don't know the answer but perhaps we could have a poll !!!!!!

Didn't fit her - besides we all took at vote and 30% wanted tea 20% coffee - then 100% didn't bother as we went out to watch the spitfire flying around!!!

One of the methods Pollsters collect information is simply by knocking on doors and asking if you'll take part in a survey, if you fit their particular demographic. This has happened to me a number of times, the most recent only last month. I always ask the same question, how much are you paying for my time?

It was reported this morning that according to a 'POL', 70% of people support the monarchy.

They don't ask a great number of people, whether it's done by phone or in person. Maybe 1,000 people are questioned over a few days, which is nothing in national terms. Out of those 1,000, 700 of them agree with the question and you've got your 70%. The result is that - according to this survey - 70% of the population support the monarchy. But it's only 700 people, out of more than 55 million.

The same thing applies with those television adverts which have a line along the bottom saying "82% of 137 people agreed". Totally meaningless.

• Upvote 3

Never been asked directly though we often get phone calls that open with the line "We are doing a consumer survey".......they don't get further than that as I put the phone down .

I do on line surveys for airmiles. They do add up I must admit. Mostly the opinions I am asked for are for consumer related areas like supermarkets, but they do occasionally ask for government/party politically related opinions. I normally look at the questionnaire and it is usually designed to get a certain response.

ie

Do you think David Cameron is

1. Ace

2. Superb

3. Best leader ever

4. Better than Churchill

And there are little alternatives. I have seen many like that.

I have been asked to give my opinion on the monarchy and it was a little biased, so I said so on the comments. This would render my opinion void but hey I got 50 air miles out of it.

A poll is legally binding on the government to do something, an opinion poll is something else.

#11 What makes you think a poll is binding on the government? We have polls every now and then that determine the government. We call them elections. Other polls are merely informative. They have no legal standing so I'm not sure why you think any poll is binding.

That's worse than mass immigration.

DJbrenton

I should have made myself clearer. A poll is a form of vote to decide an issue under law. It could also be called a referendum. The result must be acted upon by the government. The Scottish poll recently would be an example.

Informal polls are different things. I meant a formal, and legally enforceable poll.