Could be Bad News Soon if you Drive a Diesel !

Nottingham City Council could soon charge motorists of diesel cars a charge to enter Nottingham City Center. This was disclosed after it was reported that Nottingham is amongst the poor performers in the country.

I, as usual are quite cynical about the council's motives for this, but BEFORE ANYONE ASKS, THIS IS NOT A

POLITICAL POST !

I see this as another excuse to extract more money from the city motorist, of course if the tram is going to be extended again funds will have to come from somewhere.

BTW, My car is petrol :jumping:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34199587

• Upvote 3

Yes i heard that Mick on radio Nottingham,......for years they were telling us to go Diesel,now this,........what about all the Lorries and Buses ? and will they charge Trains coming into the City?...........oh yes my car is Diesel.

• Upvote 1

A lot of motorists bought diesel cars in the past after being told that they were better for the environment than petrol.

I think motorists are the pawns these days.

Also don't forget Nottstalgians, carrying children in the car next month whilst smoking is illegal & subject to a fine.

• Upvote 2

That's what happens when people allow governments to get too powerful.

Glad I'm not driving anymore......hung up my boots, sorry I mean car.......

• Upvote 1

I was thinking about driving over to Nottingham (my home town) at sometime in the near future, but I think this has put me off.

It's the same with London and the "congestion charge" I don't bother going anymore.

Think I will stay put in the sticks.

Get ya sen over 'Smiffy' theres the Park/ride then the Tram to Bulwell,.........no one way streets there,....just lots of 'Ey-ups' and friendly 'Abuse' and Catfan will buy you Coffee outside at Greigs'.

• Upvote 2

Methinks there's a little scaremongering emanating from the press on a slow news day. This story has been doing the rounds at least since last year, citing several urban areas (including Nottingham), and particularly Bristol where they have a mayor who is allegedly 'anti-car'.

Today's Nottingham Post article suggests that any scheme to surcharge diesel would apply to buses and taxis - it doesn't specifically mention private transport.

The WHO (World Health Organisation) has asserted that Particulate Matter in category PM10 (particles smaller than 10 microns) should be no greater than 20 microgrammes per cubic metre. In contrast, the EU limit for PM10 is double that at 40 microgrammes per cubic metre. In the period tested by WHO, Nottingham was at 25 microgrammes per cubic metre, so we were OK for EU standards but not good enough for WHO. While the WHO is no doubt a worthy body, I'm not aware that it has powers to make us meet its targets.

Here's what the BBC said in May 2014:

Councillor Alan Clark, Nottingham City Council's spokesman for energy and sustainability, said: "We are recognised as a clean city that is usually well below acceptable particulate pollution limits." The council said that only one year's figures - 2008/09 - were available for Nottingham because Defra was upgrading its monitoring equipment in the city during the period the WHO report looks at. It added: "We are looking to see if there were any localised circumstances that would have caused a higher-than-normal reading for Nottingham in 2009 and we are getting more accurate up-to-date figures."

The WHO database has data was mostly collected in 2011 and shows PM10 levels around the UK as follows:

25 – Nottingham, Thurrock

23 – Birmingham, Sheffield

22 – Chesterfield, London, Stoke

21 – Leeds, Southampton

20 – Bristol, Newcastle, Norwich, Plymouth, Warwick

19 – Derry, Reading, Warrington

18 – Newport, York

17 – Glasgow, Hull, Leicester, Oxford

16 – Liverpool

15 – Edinburgh

14 – Aberdeen

Not many places around Europe were below 20, maybe that’s why the EU limit is 40.

Note: References to the WHO should not be confused with an English rock band formed in 1964.

I take your point Engineer, but, I see this council using this as an excuse to hammer the motorist even more, nottingham is not motorist friendly, also funds will be required for the next tram extension.

This council will just use this as a way to collect even more revenue. Bearing in mind that the tram has never made any money, only lost great amounts, the more the tram system grows means more loss every year.

I have decided I am going to bite the bullet and travel over to Nottingham on Saturday.

The main reason being that I have just bought 2 tickets for the Forest match total cost around £50 !

On top of that there is the cost of getting there and all the other things that crop up during the day.

Hope it's worth it, but I'm sure it will be...?

• Upvote 1

Half a century ago November meant thick, yellow pea-souper fogs/smogs. These days there's no smog and hardly a fog to bee seen, yet still the powers that be are not satisfied. Talk about "Much-want-more"!