Bridge Heights, Would You ?

Thinking back to a few weeks ago when Me & Mrs Catfan drove over the Humber Bridge, most people wouldn't even bat an eyelid, not me, I don't like heights at all.

What is the Nottstalgia's collective views on heights ? Fear or not ?

What are the highest bridges you crossed ?

Here's a few that I have not & would not cross at any price !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3270916/Would-dare-walk-TERRIFYING-bridges-earth-revealed.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ne'er mind. But seriously, there are some awesome bridges in that article. They would definitley make me sweat if I crossed them. I get the shakes when I look through the slats of the suspension bridge over the Trent!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Golden Gate Bridge a few times, made me nervous due to it being near a major active fault line.

• Upvote 1

Forth road bridge,Humber bridge, Ponticilite (sp) that canal bridge that goes over the river Dee near Llangollen,Menai bridge and that other one going to Anglesey,load of quarry and concrete plants (upto 100ft high when I was repairing them) Oh and the outside edge of Ladybay rail bridge when I were a kid,don't know why because I can't swin so if I fell off who knows

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There's a bridge one has to cross when heading west out of Memphis, not high, but the Mississippi below is wide, deep and fast flowing.

Another scary bridge in the Bay area is The Bay Bridge, a section of it collapsed during the Loma Priesta earthquake in 89, it's pretty high in places.

You've got me thinking and googling now Catfan.

I think the longest bridge I've driven on is the Oresund Bridge linking Denmark to Sweden and 10 miles long, 187 feet clearance.

I've crossed the Quepos Bridge in Costa Rica, in a minibus, # 2 on the video.

Also walked both ways over the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge in County Antrim, # 14, just didn't look down!

Stood on Victoria Falls Bridge and watched nut cases throwing themselves off attached to bungies. MAD!!

Heights don't worry me as long as I have something or someone to hang onto!!

• Upvote 4

Crikey! Some bold Nottstalgians here! I get dizzy on a thick carpet. What a wimp!

Years ago I went up the Arc de Triomph to the museum in the cross piece. I suddenly became conscious that I was up in the air and, although there are no windows and no way of seeing how high it was I had to sit down and grip the edge of the bench.

More recently I took a school party to Matlock and a ride on the cable car was part of the trip. The kids could tell I was apprehensive (terrified) and two of the big lads took me in hand. They said, 'Come on, we`ll sit on either side of you and you keep your eyes shut. We`ll tell you when we get to the top.'

They each held one of my hands and talked to me all the way. And - to their everlasting credit - they never mentioned it again. It would have made great ammunition to some of my miscreants ( I mean challenging students).

• Upvote 3

My favourite of all bridges is the Humber Bridge, even though I have never crossed it. Simple in design yet so magnificent with its one-mile span. Drove across the Golden Gate Bridge a couple of times, last time it was foggy and only saw a few yards up the supports. Perhaps my best bridge experience was not really on a bridge. It is the causeway from the Florida mainland to Key West. 120 miles at just a few feet above the ocean. Similar to get to St Petersburg, across Tampa Bay. The bridge across from San Diego to North Island is interesting. The stretch of water is not wide and because the super carriers have to pass underneath it has a very steep incline, and to descend without it being too steep there is a right-angle bend on the other side.

• Upvote 1

Deepest drop I've been close to was 3/4 mile vertical, always scared the crap out of me, that was when I worked at Boulby Mine and had to change out a switch in the tower while standing on one of the 20 tonne skips, hooked on the winding ropes with a safety harness, BUT, even that didn't comfort me to much...I'm a coward at heart.

• Upvote 1

Been up the Gateway Arch in St Louis a couple of times, on a clear day you can see Chicago from the observation windows.

• Upvote 1

#14 Chulla. Yes, I've been on the Florida Keys bridges, there's one bridge that's 7 miles long. A nice trip, beautiful shallow blue waters either side. Another one you mention across Tampa Bay is called the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, 4 miles long, I enjoyed going across that one too. There are some really beautiful bridges in the World, and many of them are in the UK, with our very own Trent Bridge being known throughout the World of course.

• Upvote 3

Sydney Harbour bridge is pretty high, also known as the "coathanger" Just a huge version of the bridge in Newcastle.

• Upvote 1

January 1993 we visited New York City for the first time. We whizzed up, at high speed, to the 110th floor of the World Trade Centre. Each floor was floor to ceiling glass, with a small gap between floor and glass. I stuck my forehead to the glass and looked straight down. Wow I said, look at this. I turned to look at the rest if the group and they were all standing well back, shaking their heads, no thank you!

• Upvote 1

The one time I can remember being uneasy on a bridge was years ago when I walked over Tower Bridge in London. There's a very small gap where the two halves meet, and as the traffic went over it it was bouncing up and down slightly. I didn't like it, but as no-one has yet fallen through it in a hundred and however many years I expect it's safe enough.

#17, Lizzie. You got the name of the bridge right, but its length wrong. It is 11 miles long.

• Upvote 1

Been over Humber, Forth, Menai, Sheppey Crossing, Clifton Gorge & a big one in Miami. However similar to Ayup, the most scary was at Moorgreen pit when walking over the loading ramp at the piper seam inset (shaft landing) about 3/4 of the way down the shaft. You could look over the side of the loading ramp & see the Low Main seam pit bottom all lit up a few hundred feet further down the shaft, & I always had to look. GULP..