BeestonMick

Glasshouse Street

Only our lot can remember a clap clinic with fondness!

Wish I could show you lot a cartoon from years ago...At many prerecorded TV quiz shows the studio audience are directed by a guy in the wings off camera holding up a board which would say "Applause"

In this cartoon the two competing teams on stage sat behind a banner that said 'Sexually Transmitted Disease Staff Quiz......

Off stage was the little man holding up his board for the audience which simply said 'CLAP'

• Upvote 2

#20 ..........no bubble...lol.....and did'nt recognise any of the others in the waiting room.......we all wore a white mac ccollar turned up and sunglasses,..lol.

• Upvote 1

GNR Benjamin? hellothere

Saw those initials and thought Great Northern Railway, here we go again, changing the subject!

• Upvote 1

The clinic on this street wouldn't be my major memory... that awful chip shop next to Fon a car brings back memories, parrs,a carpet shop,Gas showrooms on the corner..just up from the pub was a window cleaning co.

GNR was the reason for visiting that certain clinic. ;)

Saying what I mean could get me moderated. :)

BTW, did nct store buses in the old central MKT sometimes?...

Yes I remember seeing that, in the first few years after the old Market closed.

Old Central market was used as a depot around 1979. The chippy on Glasshouse St was George's, open until stupid o'clock.

Thanks Cliff,BTW,did nct store buses in the old central MKT sometimes?... cheers for the great photo!!

Affectionately known on NCT as "The Fish Market" !

Buses from there served the St Anns - Meadows 40 & 47 routes. Also all the Beeston routes too.

#4 So did I. Got a big cheer from the construction lads on Vic Centre as I walked out.

The old joke in those days was that VD made you short sighted,because all the men walking along Glasshouse St.towards Perth House held their newspapers very close to their face's....

Unusual one this.

Looking up Howard St. towards the rear end of vic centre.

You can see the first floor open air market..anyone remember that failure?

Bell Fruit had a place here too.

Playland was far more accessable than Sun Valley for me..across the footbridge...past the' Les Lounge.'..thats what The Forresters was known as....and the last city pub with an open fire!

Into Playland...nudge n shove was the name of the game!

"Top ut' Shop".."90" the bingo caller.

She was a smashing lady..and gave us those gaudy Tams mugs of tea.

Quick on the draw machine and bopping to Tommy Roe..all with two bob spending money.

When No.412 Air Training Corps squadron moved from Haywood school in Sherwood, I  feel sure that the building on Howard Street is where we went to. This would be 1954.

• Like 1

Did the clinic move to Postern St. - in with the General Hospital or is that a miss-memory?

I remember well regularly walking past the Glasshouse St clinics on my way from the technical college through Victoria Station to Huntingdon St bus Station to catch the Trent 84 bus to Hucknall.

Drat! Cliff ,strange choice of names for those 3 side streets.

Wondering to origins..

RE: the open fire in a pub,I am sure in The Lord Roberts last year whilst attended a reggae night,the fire was well 'in'...anyone confirm?

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Chulla, I have read something about that..,can I find it now?    can I heck?

It was this thread. I've repaired as much as I can and it makes a bit of sense now, including the Glasshouse Street bits.  

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/15504-a-few-random-photos-1/

• Like 1

Self explain ..this one...suffice to say a medical student offered £200!

This sign..unused..never erected..bye!!

Perth st.was originally Milk st,on Milk Square also there was Apple Row around there.

• Like 2