Sea level conundrum.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prof. Andrew Shepherd of the National Centre for Earth Observation is a notable expert and contributes to the Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. His studies suggest th

If we (the UK) stopped burning fossil fuels how much difference would it make to worldwide global warming & sea level rise? Not a lot as the late Paul Daniels would have said. Us Brits shooting ou

#6 Loppy not approximately the same amount of water in the sea ..............exactly the same amount of water, just that some of it is in a different place. Ice is less dense than water hence ice ber

notty ash, I believe you are right that Everest is still being pushed upwards, so maybe that will keep the height the same as it is now, as the sea level rises! Whatever..... Everest is high and in the realms of probability I'm 99.9999999... % sure I'll never climb it!

Just had a strange thought ..... if the mountains are still being pushed UP, won't that make the Indian Ocean/Pacific deeper, thus allowing the warmed oceans more room so they won't rise so much? Or have I got the mechanics of plate movements wrong?

• Upvote 2

Then there's the mid Atlantic Ocean rift, which is widening all the time, earth getting larger??? If so, the oceans should be dropping in depth.

• Upvote 2

Never heard these theories before! Do you think we've discovered something important ? ...... probably not, as the experts on plate tectonics would have already thought of it I suppose

The Atlantic rift is a fact, not a theory Margie, on radar scans of the ocean floor you can clearly see that the rift is a living "scar" growing west and east, like a cut on your skin.

Ayup, sorry, we seem to be talking at cross-purposes. I know the Atlantic rift is a fact - I was referring to the sea bed getting wider/deeper thereby causing the sea level to drop!

• 2 weeks later...

The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is a "constructive" zone. That is to say, an area where magma is rising through a crack in the Earth's crust and as it does so it forces the Earth's tectonic plates apart. The ridge never really gets any wider but does two things: 1. It builds up material making more ocean floor and 2. As it builds up the ocean floor it puts pressure on the tectonic plate and tries to force the continents away from each other. However, where an ocean plate meets a continental plate one gets a reaction. The ocean plate is more dense than the continental plate and thus when they collide, the ocean plate dives beneath the continental plate, pushing up the continental plate causing mountains to form. This is how the Andes and Himalayas have come into being. Both are still rising too. Another effect of this "Subduction" is volcanic activity and earthquakes as the subducting material becomes molten under pressure. Hence, you should never build a nuclear power station on a subduction zone - like they did in Japan!

• Upvote 2

compo is exactly right. However, for sea levels there is another effect called albedo. Snow is white. Sea is not white. The ground in general is not white (unless covered by snow)

Now sunlight hitting white surfaces gets reflected back into the atmosphere, oddly enough keeping it warmer. If the ground or sea does not have ice, the heat is absorbed and the land and sea gets warmer. What the results of this actually are is not possible to say, beyond that there will be climate change.

Clever people are trying to work out the annual albedo. USA and Canada had more snow than average, Russia had less.

• Upvote 1

They used to say that the Albedo of Earth was 4.5.

The Earth's albedo is 0.39. Somewhere on the music thread is a Vangelis recording that tells you this.

• Upvote 1

I knew an albedo once, he was pretty pale........I'm off.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Upvote 1