Tallest Building.

BA..... Brilliant act!

• Upvote 2

Here in London they are throwing up huge concrete structures at an alarming rate.

I think Boris relaxed the laws so developers could start building these horrible, ugly and (for the most part) un-affordable eyesores.

Within a couple of miles of my house there is massive construction work going on.

They knocked down Colindale Newspaper Library to replace it with a 'concrete jungle' housing estate.

Over Colindale Tube station there is a sea-container mountain (yes, really !).

All these 'developments' do nothing to alleviate the housing crisis because they are luxury apartments which will be bought by private investors. Most Londoners can't afford £450,000 for a 2 room flat.

All this crowing about more houses being built. It's tosh.

Londoners have been priced out of there own city. And guess who's building these things. That would be migrant workers.

High rise buildings were a failure in the 60's. Why are they the 'answer' now.

If you have any influence about what is being planned for Nottingham, high-rise concrete structures are not the answer.

They are tomorrow's vertical slums.

Not that Local Government is listening !

Yes barclaycon, but the ones that are selling up are making an absolute fortune on their initial outlay!

Bit off topic but Catfan's reference to aeroplanes brought it to mind.

My dear old mam came over to see us in Canada. She'd never flown before. She told us that as the plane taxied away from the gate at a few mph. She thought, "oh this is not bad, I thought it would be much more noisy and vibrating." Then she said they turned onto the runway, there was a big roar, she got pushed back in her seat and suddenly they are doing over 100 mph down that runway. She thought it was now a bit late to gerroff!

Had to laugh. Those old 707s gave you more of a sensation of speed than these newer jets.

Bit different to a corporation bus. :-)

• Upvote 1

Re #13

Yes, I'm hoping to do the same !

When the opportunity presents itself I will be hightailing it outta here - possibly even to come back to Notts.

I only came down here because it was the centre of the music biz.

Now it's overly-expensive, polluted, overcrowded and all the music studios have closed down.

The only saving grace is that when I leave I will actually be able to make enough money to buy somewhere decent elsewhere.

Re #14

If they are pulling down tall buildings in Nottingham then it's something to be celebrated. Though I fear that what they will be replacing them with will be even worse. It now seems that local planning laws don't allow people to have a say in what gets built in the area that they live in.

Re #16

That's fascinating. They really preposed that ?!

What a piece of typical bullshit modernist architecture.

The kind of building that looks great in an architect's portfolio, but is in fact a total eyesore.

Here in London some of the high-rise efforts that they've thrown up over the last 5 years are already starting to look crap.

Yes catfan.

I believe that students (particularly overseas ones) are a big earner for Notts.

Isn't one part of Trent University nicknamed Chinatown ?

I was just thinking that one of the nicest tall buildings in Nottm was Trent Poly (God knows what it's called now!).

A beautiful piece of design and stonework.

Not the kind of thing that they throwing together these days.

Ian.

I worked in all those studios you mentioned at some time or other.

I never met Keith Harwood, but I really liked some of his work (Achilles Last Stand etc.)

The only 2 major studios left in the London area are Abbey Road and Air Lyndhurst.

Both of which are outside the central area. There are none left in central London now.

Trident was a great place. They built their own desks and as a studio it had a unique sound.

Andy Johns died last month I believe.

He was often overshadowed by his brother Glyn but he did some great work in his own right.

I'm not sure you would have liked Music Land.

It was in the basement of a hotel and was started by Giorgio Moroder as his own personal facility. Everyone from Queen, ELO to Led Zeppelin always said how oppressive it was.

Which begs the question - why did all these groups go there ?

Basically because they got a great sound, and that was largely due to Reinhold Mack.

Plus Musicland had a five a side pitch,I had a girlfriend that knew Charlie Charles.. missed out on a Kilburn gig..he often drummed with Link Wray.

Any info on IBC studios?....(sorry but bit of an anorak on this subject!)

The Wick and the Lighthouse fascinate me too!

IBC was another unique place.

Not a major studio in terms of size etc. but a very important part of rock history because some incredible stuff was done there.

Most of the early Who stuff, The Kinks, Bee Gees, Cream, Deep Purple.

It was quite small in terms of recording area, but they could do orchestra's etc because the control room was upstairs.

Again, they built their own desks and bits of outboard gear.

It was just over the road from the BBC in Portland Place.

There used to be a great website devoted to the studio, but it disappeared last year.

Some info can be found here:

http://www.philsbook.com/ibc.html

Chas Chandler bought it after doing most of the Slade stuff there. He called it Barn studios - eventually sold it to Don Arden.

I think its a radio production facility now.