How about some weird and wonderful house names? I offer this for a starter:

DSCN2962.JPG

• Upvote 3

A friend in Port Stanley named his house "Slum Villas". It was a little ramshackle though.

When my house was built in 1929 it was named Hazlemare.It just had a number when we moved in but I think Hazlemare was a lovely name,wonder if I could call it that now?or do you have to stick with what you get?

CP If it is your house you can call it what you like (don't call it crankypig, though). I suggest that it used to be called Hazelmere (not Hazelmare). Some of the old properties had a name-stone in the brickwork. If yours does then use it on your address, but don't forget the number.

In our family two uncles who served in India in the regular army between the wars, and named their houses after places where they were stationed - Razmak and Naini-Tal. Made a change from Dunroamin, Chez Nous and Thistledew.

Well I once lived in an Inglenook Cottage, and I was so upset at having to leave, I've kept the name board and screwed it to the front of my shed !

• Upvote 1

Our previous house, 100 miles away, was named Badgers Wood, for good reason, we had a wood and also badgers in the garden. When we moved to Nottingham our old neighbours rang to say the new occupants had changed the house name and the big old metal nameplate was leaning up outside the gate. They rescued it and we have it here in Nottingham but it doesn't quite fit a house in suburbia so it's in the shed!

• Upvote 2

Our previous house had been built in 1851 and the name CHESNUT HOUSE was carved in stone over the front door. I think the stonemason wasn't very good at spelling or at recognising trees as there was a huge walnut tree and even taller yew trees but no chestnut trees in the garden when we moved there in 1981. Mustn't be too critical though as there might have been a sweet/horse chestnut tree there when it was built.

#6, LizzieM, sure it wasn't call Badgers Would.............'cos they can & when they can they do!!

Our house was named 'Toushan' when we moved in, I'd appreciate if anyone could explain why? I've tried all sorts of name connotations with no success................

Had a house in a quaint Village called the 'Old School house'.........right dump,glad when the ex kicked me out..........lol.

• Upvote 1

"Toushan" sounds Chinese and there is a place in China called that . Maybe an early owner of the house went there ?

Here in what was the tin mining district of Cornwall , many miners went abroad to work, often in gold or copper mines . Some made money and came back and built houses , naming them after the towns they made their money in .

http://china.places-in-the-world.com/10406242-place-toushan.html

• Upvote 1

#9. A check on geographical; place-names has two possibilities for Toushan.

Feng-kuei-tou Shan, in Taiwan

Hsuan-tou Shan, in China. The u has two dots above it (like an umlaut)

• Upvote 1

Chulla.............Thanks, would that be a 3 egg & cheese umlaut by any chance...............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Apparently in the 30s there was a bit of a craze for naming houses .

Jokey ones were "Auft-n-oot" or "Neverin" .

Another was "Emoclew" (Welcome backwards)

Going on reverse names , "Fossip" would be good for certain callers !

• Upvote 1