Another Pet Thread !

I remember my late wife referring to the Methodists as 'Meths'. (She had left them). First time I heard it it cracked me up as I clearly remembered that stinky blue stuff used in various types of burners.  :rolleyes:   I didn't think the Methodists I had known were that bad.    I would imagine it really moves ticks.  I read somewhere you should twist 'em round and round. That gets 'em off.  Ticks I mean.  Don't know about Methodists.    smile2

Edited to add.  Bailey upside down in the recliner again.  That dog is weird.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reminds me of my foster cat, Fluffy. Rescued her when she gave birth to 3 kittens in an elderly neighbour's conservatory. She wasn't young and was in poor condition. She was spayed and went back to li

Talking dogs! Now your talking.    

During our married life, we had Shep who was an unwanted 5 month old Border Collie. And now the list of cats... Moggie (1) was a stray, Moggie (2) was a feral cat who arrived from over the fields

Note of caution. One thing you should never do with ticks is twist them round in an attempt to dislodge them. It can result in the mouthparts being left embedded in the host animal and can cause serious problems. After being Frontlined or 'methed', the tick should fall off in one piece.

The only Methodists I ever met had signed the pledge, so I don't think they drank much meths!!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Plenty of sheep ticks in rural areas in the UK. Very unpleasant things.

I wouldn't suggest meths to anyone, Loppy, other than for cleaning purposes or getting rid of ticks! Lovely colour, horrible smell!

I thought you were suggesting Frontline for ME?  ;)

Edit.   Yes I'd read that you shouldn't touch them.  You don't want any part left on you.

Don't use Frontline on our dog. Did use it once and he wasn't at all well for 24 hours after.  We now use Advocate and it doesn't have any ill effects.  I've only seen a tick on one of our dogs once and soaked a cotton wool pad in meths and held it over the tick, it unhooked itself immediately. 

I picked up a tick in South Africa several years ago. Didn't realise til we got back to our hotel room and I took my t shirt off, the tick fell out. Luckily it had never attached itself to me!

You dodged a bullet there, Lizzie.  They are the sneakiest little brutes and very hard to get off when they have attached themselves.  Then you find yourself watching the spot for infection and wondering if you have contracted some loathsome disease.  Since my time in GA I've had about four of them get attached and brushed off several more.  You can pick them up just working in the garden.

Can't say I've ever noticed any ill effects on any of my dogs from Frontline.  I just hate putting it on them.  Last time I was at the vets he said the Frontline liquid was no longer effective and sold me some oral tablets for Flea /tick prevention.  I hate pills even more.  Things are under control right now but I might have to make some hard decisions in the coming months.

Here in Oz ticks are a fact of life when the weather warms up, especially in kangaroo populated areas.

I have to use a flea and tick control on both my dogs full time, I tend to switch between Advocate and Frontline or whichever is on special at the time. Another problem here is heart-worm in dogs and cats, a very dangerous parasite that can eventually kill the animal by strangling their heart from the inside. We give a monthly chew which stops any infection but has to be used for life !  there's a yearly injection too but my springer spaniel has a bad reaction to it.

I've had many ticks on me especially when working in overgrown bushy areas, currently helping a friend on his 5 acre block and it's alive with the nasty buggers, I always spray clothing with repellent before doing work but they still come on your clothes. 

• Upvote 1

We use Stronghold on our cats as Frontline wasn't being effective - the vet said several other people had noticed the same thing.... it's such a performance though, putting the drops on them.  I'm sure they can read our minds when we're getting ourselves ready to grab them.  We try to be super casual and pretend we're just walking past to do something else but usually one of them glares at us and shoots out of the cat flap.  We've tried locking the cat flap but they then hide behind furniture and it's too difficult to retrieve them.  We rarely get both of them done on the same day.  I tried giving them a few Dreamies (cat treats) before we grab them, but they've wised up to this and now get very edgy whenever I give them treats on ANY day!  I have no trouble giving them their worm tablets, though.

• Upvote 3

My friends at the cat sanctuary use a mixture of Advocate, Advantage and Stronghold rather than Frontline. I asked my vet whether Frontline was losing its efficacy but in her opinion it was not. There is now Broadline spot on for fleas and worms. Three of my cats aren't too bad with spot on but my tabby, Raffles, always knows when it's coming. She HATES it. Yells blue murder, spits and snarls! The trouble is, she's the one who really needs it because she gets flea related dermatitis, as did her mother, and that can be a swine to get rid of! As for giving pills to my lot....forget it. No chance!  :(

• Upvote 3

Stronghold on ours even though it is pricey!!

I really like it when they dash off down the garden after having it applied.

Catching them is an art of course but after decades of experience I have my ways.................

• Upvote 3

Well I was playing the organ as usual this afternoon and Jake snuck up on the back of the couch again.  If Mrs' Loppy catches him he's for it.  I quietly ask him if he would please move.  He ignores me.

1126161459.jpg

Then I got to wondering if you've ever seen a salt and pepper shaker set like this one.

1126161514_1.jpg

It was given to me years ago and I cherish it.  The fire hydrant contains salt and the dog the pepper.  Spotted dog, Dalmation indicates black pepper.

It's a good talking point when folks come over.  I remind Mrs. Loppy who is a bit iffy about it.  That at least the pepper comes out of the top of his head and not the other end. 

I would really like that.

They probably make one for cat lovers too. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Love the salt and pepper shakers! Very unusual. Mine are two hedgehogs, as I'm very fond of our prickly friends. I never use them as I don't put salt or pepper on my food.

As for Jake, it's typical of children. His dad allows him to get away with far more than his mum would permit! He's a lovely looking hound. I saw the lady walking the two baby beagles again a couple of days ago. They're growing fast!

• Upvote 1

They're cute when they are pups but then they turn into Jake.  A hunting, baying, slipper shredding, disobedient hound who knows how to play one off against the other.  We love 'im anyway.  I didn't use the salt and pepper shakers for a long while.  Just displayed them as ornaments.  Then I got to thinking, just use 'em.  I'm glad I did.

• Upvote 2

A friend of mine has 2 miniature poodles. She and her hubby were in  store the other day, each carrying a dog in the crook of their arms, but had split up to look at d ifferent things. A woman came up to my friend and said, I see you take your little doggy everywhere with you, I take Jo Jo everywhere with me. Then lifted up a soft dog  carrier and inside was a full grown CHICKEN. Eee, it teks all sorts.

• Upvote 4

All this talk of pets really makes me wish I had one. I used to be terrified of animals but have grown very fond of them lately. Maybe one day. 

We have a customer at work who brings in her standard poodle and it is adorable. Famous with his own Facebook page. I'll have to share some photos of him when I get chance :)

• Upvote 3

I would probably have said something like, handy if you get hungry!  You can always wring its neck and have it for supper.  No!  I probably wouldn't have dared to really.  As you said.  Teks all sorts. :wacko:

• Upvote 1

I can't really take the moggies out with me. Wouldn't dare take Crystal into a shop. She'd cause utter mayhem! Sometimes when I get up in the morning, it looks as though the Luftwaffe has been on a raid during the night! Any breakables have to be kept locked away. She is the clumsiest cat I've ever met. Probably because she's totally deaf, it affects her balance and she'll often take a flying leap from one point in the room to another but miss her aim completely, crashing into the furniture and scattering objects all over the place!  She can't help it!  :wacko:

• Upvote 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Couple for Loppy,could be Jakes relatives

Beagles%202_zpszdtjrof4.jpg

Beagles%201_zps27drtdq1.jpg

When I used to run with the Beagles out of our village,(not me in the pictures by the way) takes me all my time to run a bath these days

Rog

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Was in Matlock Bath this morning,went to Charley's for a brew (as recommended by benjamin) and saw this on the wall, thought of you Jill

P1050424_zpsgovpmkm0.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 4

Strangely enough, I've got a decorative enamel sign on the kitchen wall that says just that, Plantfit! It hangs next to another one that states:"It's better to have loved and lost than to live with the psycho for the rest of your life!"  :wacko:

I've got some odd friends!

• Upvote 4