You've set me off again Nonna,looks like a baking day tomorrow for me,now where's me recipe book?

Rog

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The English Dinner   Not for me the foreign dish, not my idea of feast,    The French, the Thai and others from, countries of the East. Garlic, chilli, spices, these the tongue's t

Didn't find an appropriate place to put this but thought this was the right place . ( foodwise)  This is my 95 almost mum just about to start on a pizza.   Not really it was a family size one

Made a few shepherds pies today to put in the freezer 1 Onion finely diced 3 Carrots,grated,fry off in pan,add Lamb mince and stir until thoroughly mixed with onion and carrot, 4 tables

image_zps9zs5styk.jpeg

Didn't find an appropriate place to put this but thought this was the right place . ( foodwise)

This is my 95 almost mum just about to start on a pizza.  smile2

Not really it was a family size one. But thought it a great photo.

• Upvote 6

Made a few shepherds pies today to put in the freezer

1 Onion finely diced

3 Carrots,grated,fry off in pan,add Lamb mince and stir until thoroughly mixed with onion and carrot,

4 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce,

4 tablespoons of tomato ketchup

salt and pepper to taste

let it simmer for an hour

for the mash

4 or 5 average spuds peeled and cut in half,put in pan of boiling water and season with salt and ground black pepper

when spuds are ready remove from heat and allow to cool a little,

add butter and cream/milk to spuds and mash to a creamy consistancy,allow to cool until mince is ready

take mince off the heat and allow to cool for 30-45 minutes

spoon mince into foil trays about half full

put mash in a piping bag and pipe over mince,

put lids on trays and freeze

kept a couple back for lunch today

P1050513_zpssmx2w14o.jpg

after heating put under grill to brown off the spud,enjoy

Rog

• Upvote 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I would do bangers and mash for tea tonight but with a little twist,instead of the usual sausages,mashed potato and peas I thought I would substitute the peas for cabbage and carrot,do the sausage and mash in the usual way,grate one third of a white cabbage and one large carrot,(grate the carrot length ways so the strips are about the same length as the cabbage if you know what I mean,put in a steamer and steam for about four minutes,transfere to a frying pan with some melted butter,salt and ground black pepper and fry until cabbage starts to turn slight golden brown,keep turning the grated veg over so as not to let it burn in the pan,spoon onto bangers and mash and spoon over some thickish gravy

Rog

Sounds good Rog, I could just eat that right now after a long morning Karchering slabs and steps at the top of the garden.

Looks good though........ Mmmm steak here later.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

RE #36...... Sorry nonnaB, I missed the post with your question about Jamie's Italian in Nottingham.

It is on High Pavement, just on the r/h side up from Marks & Spencer. Brilliant !

• Upvote 1

image_zpsuwhjjikm.jpeg

Found a few courgette flowers today. We dont see them often unless you know someone with a few plants. Filled them with potato, parmesan and mint. Then fried them.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A couple of days ago I bought 2 aubergines but hadnt had time to cook them. So this morning I sliced them and left them under salt for a couple of hours . Too long really but they were ok. Rinsed them and fried them in olive oil, drained them well and made a tray of parmigiana. Layers of aubergine topped with tomato and parmesan. Oven baked. Then I had some slices left so I sandwiched them with some cheese slices dipped them in egg and then breadcrumbs and fried them again. Enjoying them now for my lunch. Watching my calorie intake for the next few days. But they are nice.

• Upvote 3

Tonight sauted courgettes and potatoes , when almost cooked add a couple of eggs to slowly cook in the mix.

• Upvote 1

Slipped in whole Eileen. I did it a litle differently. I sauteed the courgettes and potatoes together and added a very ripe chopped tomato popped the egg in and put a lid on the pan to cook the egg. The best way to do this is with the long sicilian courgettes. They have to be scraped or peeled unlike normal courgettes but these are more compact and don't go mushy. If you can get them try them by adding a few basil leaves. You can even add some cooked pasta ( but without the egg)

• Upvote 3

Would you believe first time I used photoimage it was so easy now I cant remember how :(

will try later

I am not a cookery person but I like making cidre. I also have a fair stock of farm Calvados, Three years ago we had a glut of peaches and I filled 3 x 2lt kilner jars with halved peaches and topped the jars up with Calvados (70%). We ate the peaches with ice cream for pudding after one years and again after 2 years. Really warmed the gills! Got one jar left, The juice was bottled and made a nice drink but about half the alcohol had been absorbed by the peaches. I did the same with plums. All halved and stoned. I ill try it with pears this year.

So, I have plenty of cidre - any recipes out there based on cidre. The cidre is pure, is 7%  and has a stronger flavour than commercial cidre.

Unfortunately two of the cidre barrels were not racked in time and have turned to vinegar - what will I do with that?

PP put it on your chips, in salads etc. Sorry but couldn't resist. What a shame all that to waste.

Peaches are lovely soaked in alcohol and they do last .....if you dont eat them.

Made some more jam today, peach and apricots mixed as I had some left and this afternoon some pear and cinnamon jam Then 5 jars of plums in syrup, just sterilised them and now waiting til cold to store them.

Have tried to post some pics but have forgotten how to. Cant find anything on app to post them so maybe its not working properly. 

• Upvote 1

image.jpg Photos not loading correctly.

This is my peach and red pepper chutney

Does anyone else have problems with postimages. I managed to get one photo on but others dont work.

Tonight I had some rainbow trout to cook so here goes what I did. First made a mixture of roasted pine nuts, chopped parsley, zest of a lemon and a sprinkling of parmesan. I oven baked the fish until almost cooked and spread the mixture on top and popped it back in the oven for a few minutes.

Delicious.

• Upvote 1