Pure Nostalgia and I make no excuse for it.

Those Saturday evenings around the tea table, children hushed whilst dad checked his football pools as Len Martin read the football results on Grandstand at 5pm: Magical and mysterious team names in the Scottish football league..... Partick Thistle, Stenhousemuir, Alloa Althletic, Hamilton Academicals, Raith Rovers, Queen of the South and many more....

32086752631_7a4ef5d3f8_h.jpg

• Upvote 5

Because we HAD TO be quiet, my mum and I sometimes used to get fits of the giggles and had to leave the room.  I remember my dad glaring at us and saying 'shush'

• Upvote 1

Football results in Scotland.......always love this one.........East Fife 4 Forfar 5............

• Upvote 6

Lovely memories of my dear old Dad sat in kitchen (mam made him) listening to results sat.5pm and marking his coupon........wearing collar,tie and waistcoat.......at the end saying something like........if Arsenal,Aston villa,Wolves,Leyton Orient and Darlington had drawn i'd be well off now.......lol.

and like your Dad Margie...he never won..........

• Upvote 2

You reminded me that for the short time we lived in Radcliffe on Trent I was an agent for Littlewoods pools. Nice little number, took over an established route, and kept back a percentage of my takings as commission. Forgot all about that.

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Football results in Scotland.......always love this one.........East Fife 4 Forfar 5............

I remember so clearly those teams, still makes me smile

My old dad did the pools religiously for years, then one Sat night he screamed "I've got 8 draws ! " the Sunday we were all running around in a daze wondering how we were going to spend it.

On the Monday dad took the day off work and we all drove down to Leicester (Vernons I think) to get his winnings, in he went all happy then a while later came out all glum, there had been that many claims he only won a miserly amount, don't think it even covered his day off and petrol to get it.

Poor old bugger was so disapointed but carried on doing them regardless even though he never won again.

I was lucky enough to win about £350 in 1969 or thereabouts, when my ex and I were just in the process of buying our first house instead of renting. Most welcome it was too.

4 hours ago, Compo said:

Those Saturday evenings around the tea table, children hushed whilst dad checked his football pools as Len Martin read the football results on Grandstand at 5pm: Magical and mysterious team names in the Scottish football league..... Partick Thistle, Stenhousemuir, Alloa Althletic, Hamilton Academicals, Raith Rovers, Queen of the South and many more....

Not forgetting Third Lanark.

In those days you could understand every word from the announcers. They never got their words mixed up or had accents that grated on the nerves like coarse sandpaper. Another standard that has been allowed to drop over the years.

• Upvote 7

Re # 10. When I won, I was told by a colleague who worked part time at a bookies, to choose a mixture of either local derbies, or alliterative names such as Walsall v Wrexham, Doncaster v Darlington etc. It worked ! 

I can remember those numbers as if it was yesterday. 1,4,5,9,12, 21,26,29,48 and 51.

• Upvote 1

It reminds me of coming back from away games  Oztalgian, we used to sing along to the music then fall in silence  when the results came in. Giving it some oo's and arggh's and swearwords as the results came in. By the time it got to the Scottish we were planning on a pub stop somewhere on the way home.

• Upvote 1

I agree Red we never listened to the Scottish results anyway, never could work out how two cities could have so many teams.

Used to hate coming back from the games in the big smoke via the M1, to find a pub you used to go off the motorway into the nearest town, have a few pints and then as the designated driver having to listen to the inebriated passengers arguing about which was the best way to get back on the northbound lanes of the M1. So much easier coming back up the A1 as it still went through a number of towns in those days

• Upvote 1

We often used the A1, as I lived at Saxondale, two mates at Bunny, and one at R o T.

Im afraid some of our drivers were inebriated too, but that was years ago !