What do you think about the HS1/HS2 High Speed Railway? do we really need it? The UK and France built Concord what a waste of money that was, will the high speed rail go the same way? I know we have to have progress but is this the answer, this high speed rail should have been built years ago, would it not be better if we improved the rail stock that we have by electrifying them. The government want us to use public transport so why don't they make rail travel cheaper. We had the M1 built in the 60's look at it now "yes" it is used a lot but if we had a better transport system then I'm sure most of us would use it, taking the pressure off the M1 but to spend all our money on HS1/HS2 is really taking the !!!!!!! they say it will cost £56billion.

When we travel to EMA it takes me longer to get to Nottingham to catch the EMA Flyer than it takes to get to Spain.

• Upvote 1

I think I read somewhere it will get you to the capital from the Leeds area about 20-30 minutes quicker,why not come out the house 20-30 minutes earlier and catch the trains we have now,I agree Mary,public transport needs to be cheaper to attract the masses,the answer to your question "Do we really need it" I don't think so

Rog

• Upvote 3

No Mary, I don't think we do need it is the simple answer. The trouble with the system at present regarding Nottingham, is that we are  an offshoot of the Midland Mainline. As is Derby to a certain extent. The obvious route is through the Long Eaton / Toton area, but that means having a sort of shuttle service to Nottingham and Derby, which negates the advantages of a fast mainline service. 

The powers that be constantly quote full pathing capacity as their main bugbear, but this emanates from the mass closures of duplicate lines in the 60's. The line from Melton Mowbray for example, which enabled trains to run straight through Nottm Midland without the need for the time consuming reversing process.

The ex Great Central route from Nottingham Victoria to London was in fact the HS route of its day. It's distinct advantages over the Midland route were endless, and have been explained elsewhere on this site. It was ripped up in 68/69 in disgusting haste due to total mismanagement, petty jealousies after the regional boundaries were redrawn, lack of foresight regarding population growth, and in the end, downright apathy on the part of all involved. 

Regarding Concords demise, blame the French ! One hiccup, and they gave up ! (Nothing new there then)

I'm certain that one of our aircraft bods will fully explain Mary. 

• Upvote 2

This is another vanity project that people will boast look at what we gave the country . In the building of it ,it will cause untold problems for many people ,some losing their homes and it will be a scar on the countryside for ever. whilst a few people will benefit the majority will never use it due to its location and cost, just the same as Concord. The vast sum of money needed to build it and subsidise it would be better invested in other areas to create wealth and benefit for the country.

• Upvote 3

I've never been an advocate of Nationalisation, but regarding the railways, I'm certain that a return to it would benefit all concerned. Except of course the owners and the Fat Cat executives who know nothing whatsoever about railways and railway workers. Look at that company Porterbrook several years ago. Totally useless and a complete drain on taxpayers money. (Allegedly)

The only people to benefit were the execs. The public were conned and fleeced !

Other than the main lines, try travelling across the country. It's a bleddy nightmare. What with inconvenient connections, incomprehensible timetables  and incompetent staff.

• Upvote 1

Do we need it? Most certainly not. Will we get it? yes. Will it be on time and in budget? Most certainly not. Billions to go London  - Leeds forty minutes less than present day trains. A bargain I say.

As an aside I recently needed to go to Falkirk on business. By train £147 ONE way and five hours. From East Midlands airport to Edinburgh £59 and ninety minutes. But I'm sure the our version of a bullet train will sort that out and make it cheaper and faster and ooo look we're overtaking that flying pig...

• Upvote 1

Don't see how getting to places faster will improve the Economy..............used to enjoy getting the Train to London and Manchester,nice and relaxed read the Paper Cup of Coffee,little chat with fellow Passengers.............could't afford the trains to them places now anyway.........bring back British Rail...........have a sedate journey at a reasonable price........everything today is too fast and expensive............

• Upvote 2

This country is too small for HS2 or TGV type things. The intermediate stops are too close to each other unless it's only London to Nottingham or Derby, and only stopping at Leicester.

North of Nottingham is a different kettle of fish altogether as the geographical layout is totally different to land south of the Trent. 

We're still suffering from Beechings fiasco. The lack of forward thinking was unimaginable.

Ok, the system needed pruning, such as farty little branches in Wales, but the daftest was leaving only one route into Devon and Cornwall. Therefore the terrible flooding at Dawlish the other year left many people stranded for months. Idiotic in the extreme !

I think politicians both local and national have had us over yet again. Locally it was the main reason quoted for the 'slug' extension to Bramcote. Nationally they keep quoting places like Germany and France hoping we will forget how much bigger they are.

• Upvote 1

Politicians of all persuasions tell us what they think we want to hear. 99 times out of 100, its flannel !

• Upvote 1

Re the slug to Bramcote. We were meeting my daughter and her family who live in Toton, in town the other Saturday evening and they  came by car,  saying that the car is nearly always quicker than the slug. What a surprise !

• Upvote 1

If HS whatever number you choose is going to take so much less time to do the journeys it is not going to have much time to stop anywhere else on the way so it won't be much use to the rest of us. I am all for improvement but not at any cost, once a price is quoted that should be it. If we mere mortals had a tradesman do a job we would expect a quote to be accurate, why does the Government allow itself to be ripped off time after time?  There is no wonder we are becoming a laughing stock to the rest of the world, perhaps we should use some of the fortune in foreign aid that we pay out to improve our infrastructure instead of giving it to those who simply ask for more. 

• Upvote 2

NBL,I agree with your post about France and Germany but what a lot of folk don't realise is those country's were flattened during the last war and as such had a blank canvas to set out their infrastructure probably paid for by Britain and America, unilke Britain who was stuck with the old stuff and just adapted loco's,rolling stock etc to the old routes,slow viaducts and low bridges and tunnels and we didn't have any money left,we didn't stand a chance

Rog

• Upvote 2

I find that, since I qualified for a senior citizen's railcard, and can travel by bus, tram and train in and around Greater Manchester for nothing with my bus pass, I am using the train for longer journeys in preference to the car. Unless you need to travel at the last minute and can plan ahead and navigate the ticketing system, there are some great bargains to be had.

If you have a degree in mathamatics Jim !!smile2

Why does train travel have to be so expensive ? Yet my favourite mode of travel is the train !

Was in Devon last week & the train travel would be too expensive for a couple, nearly £200, coach is a lot cheaper & quicker.

A great pity.

No free trains with an OAP pass in Nottm, I know some councils do but not this one.