DJ360

How's your day?

It's New Year's Eve once again and those of you who know me will remember that it is time to get the tent pitched and ready myself for a night out in the cold. This year the temperature is several degrees above freezing and so for once, I shall have the pleasure of pitching the tent on soft ground instead of it being frozen solid.  Here's hoping the temperature stays above freezing tonight! 

• Like 4

No booze tonight, Ian...had enough over the weekend to last me until next weekend.

• Like 2

My New Year's Eve camping is normally done in icy conditions. This year it was warmer (+4°C) but the wind picked up in the late evening and by midnight it was blowing a full gale with occasional showers thrown in. Anyway....I survived and none the worse for it :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bet you don't catch a cold easily Compo.

• Like 1

IMG-3057.jpg

Festivities over for another year and the last remaining GB houses until next year looking for new ideas.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

IMG-3006.jpg

Made loads of these to go with cups of tea or coffee

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

I saw Martine today, Fyngers wife. She is looking well and would like to come to the next meet up. She still logs on but not very often.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Compo said:

My New Year's Eve camping is normally done in icy conditions. This year it was warmer (+4°C) but the wind picked up in the late evening and by midnight it was blowing a full gale with occasional showers thrown in. Anyway....I survived and none the worse for it :)

Not trying to be sarky, or clever etc.  Just curious.  Why do you do it, Compo?

30 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I saw Martine today, Fyngers wife. She is looking well and would like to come to the next meet up. She still logs on but not very often.

I'm still friends with her on FB and she posts quite frequently - often about cats.

58 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Glad you asked LL, I've always been curious but afraid to ask. He's a nice bloke but has lived in some strange places so maybe it's an obscure fertility ritual he picked up from the oomegooly tribe. Maybe doing penance for offending some deity or other and is cursed.

There is always of course the chance that he's simply crackers and completly barmy.

• Like 3

Perhaps it enables him to appreciate sleeping in a nice warm bed the other 364 days of the year!

I can appreciate my nice warm bed without the need to spend a night in a tent. However, for some obscure reason, I've not slept well for several nights and at 5am this morning was so desperate for sleep that I sprinkled the pillows liberally with clary sage oil. Never fails. Smells a bit like kipping under a privet hedge but sleep enfolded me at last! 

• Like 3

Maybe it's the inner boy scout in him that only materialises once a year and it takes the rest of the time to recover.

• Like 1

Been to doctors this morning, cold over Christmas has left me with a hacking cough and a bit wheezy. Expected 3 days antobiotics but got a 7 day course and not the amoxicillin (not sure of spelling) I thought I would get. Don’t usually get colds as a rule, perhaps something to do with stopping smoking and my chest clearing?  Then went into town with my sister, just wanted to change my phone contract to sim only, not bothered about upgrading phone, I only use it as a phone not for anything fancy. It was quite simple at the EE shop in town, at least they spoke normal English not tech talk. Then went into Primark just to have a look around, should have known better when sister got one of the big bags as we went in. Then I saw this coat reduced to £20, reversible either use as fur lined with a suede effect outer or as a teddy bear coat with suede inner. Put it back and went round shop but ended going back and trying one on which is now hanging up in my hall! It is my first treat out of my “not smoking” money. Then went to Broadmarsh to Wimpy (don’t like Burgerking the bread is a bit plasticy) and had a cheeseburger and chips with a pot of tea. All in all a good day (except for the antibiotics but they should make me feel a bit more human if that is possible), now sat on settee with dogs at my feet (who have just had their daily McVities digestives 3 each) a cup of Yorkshire decaf tea and a few coconut ring biscuits feeling quite contented. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Good question, LL! Have you never had the urge to get away from her that rules and enjoy a night without having to fight for the duvet or that couple of inches of bedspace that always seem to be the domain of the male partner.... but had no valid excuse? In the tent I can go for a pee without needing to engage in a wrestling match in order to win a few inches of space upon which to lie upon my return. New Year's Eve is the ideal time to enjoy a restful night and recharge the ageing batteries. Or maybe I'm just plain mad as a hatter?

:crazy:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

my “not smoking” money.

When Julie gave up the fags some years ago she bought a new car with her "Cigarette money". She saw it as her reward for giving up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well done StavGirl, nice to treat yourself using money that would have gone up in smoke previously!  

I’ve not set foot in Broad Marsh Centre for YEARS, don’t suppose there are many shops still open in there.  

Cumbria Police have sent me a NY pressie ...... speeding ticket on Christmas Eve.  Ok, no excuses, I need to start driving like Miss Daisy, I’m so annoyed with myself.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Smells a bit like kipping under a privet hedge

A real privet hedge would be nicer, Jill.....all the creatures of the night to keep you company and no added expense of buying aromatics.

thumbsup

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Compo said:

all the creatures of the night to keep you company

I've already got three...Raffles, Tarquin and Bruno. The first two snore and last one cries if I don't stroke him!

• Like 1

Just now, Jill Sparrow said:

The first two snore and last one cries if I don't stroke him!

thumbsup

Whilst I'm here....It's approaching that season once again, so: Happy Easter to you all!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Perhaps it enables him to appreciate sleeping in a nice warm bed the other 364 days of the year!

I can appreciate my nice warm bed without the need to spend a night in a tent. However, for some obscure reason, I've not slept well for several nights and at 5am this morning was so desperate for sleep that I sprinkled the pillows liberally with clary sage oil. Never fails. Smells a bit like kipping under a privet hedge but sleep enfolded me at last! 

Clary sage knocks me out Jill so dont use it any more. Lavender temple balm is quite suffient to relax me

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I’ve not set foot in Broad Marsh Centre for YEARS, don’t suppose there are many shops still open in there.  

A lot of the shops are boarded up, are they supposed to be redeveloping it?  I was surprised that the Wimpy was still there. Think it was always the poor relation to the Vic Centre really.

Clary sage is powerful stuff and I only use it when I'm so tired that I can't get to sleep any other way. Shall use it again tonight because I'm still very tired and my head feels like a zombie!