On 2/3/2013 at 1:47 AM, LizzieM said:

There was a cripple who used to hang out in the Square, usually sitting at the end near the toilets. His name was Archie, he wasn't a Rocker though, he was into folk music. Just thought I'd throw this snippet into the mix!

If you're  cripple , nearest the toilets is a good choice !

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My adolescence started when I left school late 1959, without a certificate to my name. A lot of the time was spent in coffee bars; the 49, el Toreador, which had an upstairs called Sargasso and had fi

Same as you Loppy........school 50 to 60,.......but I well remember all the 50s music.....Mam and all her sisters playing it on 78s.......Johnie Ray,Beverley sisters,Frankie Lane,Dickie Valentine,Davi

I loved the late fifties - from about 1956 actually - as the music changed from silly/cute little songs from Val Doonican etc to mostly guitar accompanied songs from Tommy Steele, Buddy Holly, then th

11 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Sorry but teddy boys came a while before Mods & Rockers.

Tebby Boys came in with "Rock n' Roll" with a brillcream DA and long sideburns Jackets that came down to top of the knees,  with velvet collar, and drainpipe trouses, shoes winkle Pickers so long I'm sure that their feet did not go to the end of the shoe or brothel creepers, year approx  50s.

Mods and Rockers were later 70s Mods had very short hair, baggey trouses, and braces to hold up there trouses  plus they all drove scooters. Rockers used to wear leather Jackets and leather trouses big boots and they were on motor  bikes and I mean motor bikesf  from 250cc and above,

Dave are you getting the Race Riots mixed up with mods & rockers?

Sorry mary i am getting mixed up with the mods and rocker craze , 1964 , they descended in to seaside towns and cause havoc , remember groups in nottinghams st anns , going around the streets and asking kids if they were mods or rockers , if you gave the wrong group you'd get a beating , i got Away with saying i am a mocker , which is abit of both !

@MRS B I heard about paper knickers but never bought any!  I tried the dry shampoo powder but didn’t like it.  I used to use Pompadour hair spray in a squeeze bottle to keep my hair rock solid!!

On holiday with friends in Cornwall we went on a fishing trip. Apart from me being violently sick, my friends wife developed a strange way of walking, her paper knickers had disintegrated due to the wet seat in the boat..

And herring is not a nice fish to eat.

• Like 1

That dry shampoo made a lot of static in my hair. I used Pompador laquer too, you bought the refills for about a shilling, they came in a soft plastic tube, you snipped off the end and refilled your squeezy bottle. A hurricane could not move your 'do' with Pompador,.

Didn't Pompador have a laboratory somewhere off Noel Street or around that area. I seem to recall making a delivery there when I worked at SPD. Could have been Clynol products etc.   B.

Beekay, you’ve made deliveries everywhere, you must av bin there! Regarding the pompadour spray, when the hairdresser used to say do you want hairspray I always used to say no cos my hair used to feel like straw afterwards.

• 3 months later...
On 6/27/2022 at 3:09 PM, Beekay said:

Didn't Pompador have a laboratory somewhere off Noel Street or around that area. I seem to recall making a delivery there when I worked at SPD. Could have been Clynol products etc.   B.

@BeekayPompadour was near the junction of Duke St. and Mount St.  New Basford I think. I remember it from when I worked for Arkwright Glass, our  main works was on Duke St.