Woodwork and metalwork

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When we were cleaning out our basement we found  two large boxes of tools, hubby has no interest in any form of DIY. I asked my neighbours if they knew anyone who would like them,  they went to a youn

I'm with you on the hi-fi kit, Col.  My gear is quite old now and is definitely not in the same class as some of the stuff you are referring to.  I do still have just about every LP I ever bought.  Pr

You'll not have one of these in your collection (I think) a space spanner as seen today at the National Space Center     probably come in useful for changing spark plugs on the sp

Spent a week making a solid oak wheel 750 dia x 60 thick. Took a lot of time making a steel collar and circular plate to sandwich the centre 26 dia hole - this was to make sure it ran true. Mounted it onto the main axle and it ran miles out. The axle was bent! So todays job is to try and straighten the end of the axle without damaging or causing the bearings to misalign - tricky when there is a 750 dia steel wheel welded on the opposite end. May try the blow lamp and fire bricks - cold in the workshop anyway :biggrin:

• Like 1

Strategically wedged lump of oak and a few blows with biggest lump hammer did the trick. Precision job :rolleyes: 

A common problem with most vintage cidre  presses and scratters is woodworm damage , particularly at the base of the oak legs.

I usually either make new legs or box them in with 25mm oak boarding. With this one I am going to sleeve a 350 mm length of each leg with steel 75 x 50 box section. All woodworm is treated of course prior to further work or painting.

Looking forwards to my Christmas prezzie so that I can post pics easily :biggrin:

• Like 2

Lad arrived back today with a work light the like of which I have never seen before.

Made by Rothenberger (a good company) it's called the FLEXiT, the flat part is less than 10mm thick and completely bendable, magnetic handle should you need it and 200 lumens. It will get where other sources of light won't so ideal for those tight hard to reach places. For scale that a piece of A4 paper.

worklight_1.jpg

worklight.jpg

I always find that LEDs give a poor quality of light and I can barely see to do owt under their glow - not enough red in their spectrum, methinks.

• Like 1

I would go along with that NBL, we use them all around the House and the meter hardly move's !! ,compared to the 50w halogen bulbs the led ones are far superior. They don't get hot either.

I have  "White" LEDs all over the house but this week I have returned to a 40w filament bulb for my bedside reading light.  Much warmer light quality and easier on the eye.