On 3/3/2021 at 11:29 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Bobby Vee made many terrific records...........

Bobby was greatly underrated in early years regarded as just a pretty pop singer with some good records out but he was a very talented musician and, by all accounts, a very humble human being. Died far too young with Alzheimer's but had still managed some videos with the early stages of it. Also see You Tube for Buddy Holly melody live! Great Guy!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

3 hours ago, Arnold Mick said:

BC was a legend

Maybe  a legend in your lunchtime AM but I would never in a million years associate him with rock 'n' roll - with making a row yes but not RnR. Can't remember Rita Williams or the Bandits and to me Alan Breeze's only talent was his ability to make every song sound the same.

Elvis, a couple of good songs, Little Richard and Chuck Berry one each. Tiny Tim? no... just no...    

Welcome Nottingham Mod 

You can get know one better than the BOSS 

Bruce Springsteen album "Magic"

one of the best.

Some interesting music and comments above.

I hated Billy Cotton.  His band was barely average, Alan Breeze couldn't sing for toffee and the rest were so forgettable..I've forgotten them.

Although I was already well aware of Joni Mitchell's Woodstock, and the Crosby, Stills, Nash cover (B side of Marrakesh Express I think..1969)..the Matthew's Southern Comfort version which charted here in Sept. 1970 really chimed with me. Brilliant overall production and sound.

5 hours ago, Brew said:

Elvis, a couple of good songs, Little Richard and Chuck Berry one each. Tiny Tim? no... just no...    

Bit harsh Jim.. ;).  I too could never take to Elvis as a man, an actor etc.. and his habit of effectively overshadowing the careers of numerous excellent songwriters by 'covering' their best songs.. mostly badly.. annoyed me. (Mickey Newbury 'American Trilogy'/Tony Joe White 'Polk Salad Annie'/  The bloke who first sang 'US Male'.. etc.. etc.)  But, even I recognise Elvis' role in 'breaking' a lot of Blues/R&B stuff to a wider audience. (Hound Dog/That's All Right' etc)

Little Richard. Good Golly Miss Molly, Long Tall Sally, Tutti Frutti, Lucille, etc., etc.

And Chuck Berry was in a class of his own.  A very innovative guitarist.. but mostly a terrific, witty and intelligent lyricist.  School Day/Sweet Little Sixteen/Maybelline/Oh Carol/Too Much Monkey Business/Johnny B Goode/Roll Over Beethoven and many, many more.

Little Richard... always seemed something creepy about him with his mascara. Chuck Berry... yeah... maybe a bit hard on the guy. At least they weren't like the androgynous one hit wonders we have today.

Little Richard was definitely a bit odd at times.. but this song has always been a favourite.

As for Chuck.. I'm spoiled for choice.. but I'll go with this one.  It is adolescence summed up... and a great ..clean sound.

Johnny Nash's 'Hold Me Tight' was a very popular song when I first started DJ ing at the 360 Club.

I assumed he was Jamaican.. but in reality he was born in America and had a very long performing career starting in the 1950s.

His UK follow up:

And his version of Sam Cooke's Cupid.

Col you obviously see, hear?, something in those two examples I don't.  Most of Lucille is unintelligible and I would not have chosen Baby doll as an example of Berry at his best, the accompaniment is repetitive and quite amateurish sounding.

I could probably do a better job of the drums on my empty carrot tin!   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Nice while it lasted....

Let it roll for Joni's version...

12 minutes ago, Brew said:

Col you obviously see, hear?, something in those two examples I don't.  Most of Lucille is unintelligible and I would not have chosen Baby doll as an example of Berry at his best, the accompaniment is repetitive and quite amateurish sounding.

I could probably do a better job of the drums on my empty carrot tin!   :rolleyes:

Does the rhythm and 'vibe' of Lucille not affect you? Did you not hear Chuck's lyrics? ..or his guitar playing? The drumming is all but irrelevant. This was 1950s.  Chuck, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, and a very few others stood out from the safe commercial pap that was pushed by the big labels.. and they then went on to influence and inspire the likes of The Beatles, The Stones and many more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lucille.. no. Chucks guitar, mediocre on that track, but then again many artistes who are credited with being a musicians' musician leaves me cold.  I said you must hear something I don't and after another go through I still can't see the attraction..

Jim.  What do you want out of music?

Difficult to say and depends on many factors. I enjoy operatic arias yet would find a full opera tedious. I just watched your link... hmm but it led to several more. At the moment Josh Groban is playing after I cut Cohen off at the halfway point of Hallelujah. Mood, surroundings, company all set the tone. My problem really is having the attention span of a goldfish, if I'm not 'grabbed' by the second bar then ...next.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Nice while it lasted....

Let it roll for Joni's version...

The Mathews & Joni version was great, my memory places this alongside Mac's Albatross and some form of 'yoga' when at school.

Not a big Elvis fan, but he did open the doors..the true greats..Muddy & BB etc still had well over a decade to wait..

Best white artist's were Orbison &. Jerry Lee..

Sorry Brew..Nothing stands up stronger for the era and future than Little Richard..

Would this be the start DJ...Mum got sick of hearing it! Great arrangement and playing..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kZcyRLtwUVY

The Joni version of Woodstock on the Isle of Wight DVD is worth a watch...says it all...

Each to his own HSR. Most of Orbison was music to jump off a bridge by, vey maudlin. Lewis... in small doses.

9 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Welcome Nottingham Mod 

You can get know one better than the BOSS 

Bruce Springsteen album "Magic"

one of the best.

Thanks! will give it a Blast. 'Thunder Road" brings back memories of when I was 18yr, driving my Ford Thames 5cwt van (with two airbeds in the back..... sold unused!) flat out on the A52 At 57mph, not quite "Thunder Road".........but hey, everything was thrilling at 18yr!

9 hours ago, Brew said:

I enjoy operatic arias yet would find a full opera tedious. 

I'm totally the opposite of that. I can't stand the arias and solo singing; massive men or women bawling their heads off in an incomprehensible language..............and yet I like most of the music and choral stuff in operas.

The only verbals I like in opera are in Gilbert & Sullivan. 

Jennifer Warnes is a living legend and has made some magnificent albums.

She's been around since the 1960s.  I have most of her stuff. She's also done some terrific duets with Joe Cocker (Up Where We Belong) and Bill Medley of the Righteous Bros. (I've Had The Time of My Life.)

Her 1986 'Famous Blue Raincoat' album is a widely acknowledged masterpiece, on which Leonard Cohen collaborated. It's not only loved by 'audiophiles', but anyone who appreciates great music. She had previously done backing singing for him. ..hence the alternative title 'Jenny Sings Lenny'.  I love both Leonard's original.. and Jenny's own interpretation.  I have two copies of the vinyl album, plus the CD... Always good to be sure.... ;)

Note the comments. ^^^

One from the B side of FBR.  You have to be dead to not love this.

Jenny followed up FBR with 1992s 'The Hunter' from which my fave song is:

Next up was.. I think 'The Well'

Also well worth checking out are her earlier album 'Shot Through the Heart'.. and her latest.. 'Another Time, Another Place' .. for which.. on vinyl.. I willingly payed a lot of money at the last hi fi show before the first lockdown.

Liking Jenny.. takes nothing away from Lenny...

If you want Jenny Warnes' earlier stuff.. check out:

'Just Jennifer'.

Read about her and her long association with Leonard Cohen here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Warnes

• Like 1