Another song that Celtic lady's sing is You'll Never Walk alone  from the film/musical Carousel.

Another one of my favourites is "Parting Glass"

sung by The Pogues, Drops of green , Derek Warflelo and the Young wolf tones, Celtic ladys, and not forgetting The Kilkennys!!! and many many more.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

1960......What a year...left school...started Marsdens...bought all Cliff's records..(still got some)......Tuesday nights down Locarno...some great dancing as the floor undulated........other nights on George/Broad street? Coop club and more Dancing...Football on Thursdays and Sundays..Notts Corinthians (Redmayne and Todd) Thursday league and Coop Pathfinders Sunday league...plenty of dates..with girls in their 'Flat shoes'' and 'Flared skirts''.....lovely times...we thought they'd never end....we'd sing and Dance foreever and a day'' who sang that?..lol...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

1960......What a year...left school...started Marsdens...bought all Cliff's records..(still got some)......Tuesday nights down Locarno...some great dancing as the floor undulated........other nights on George/Broad street? Coop club and more Dancing...Football on Thursdays and Sundays..Notts Corinthians (Redmayne and Todd) Thursday league and Coop Pathfinders Sunday league...plenty of dates..with girls in their 'Flat shoes'' and 'Flared skirts''.....lovely times...we thought they'd never end....we'd sing and Dance foreever and a day'' who sang that?..lol...

Something else from Cliff in the late 50s - a film from 1959 titled 'Serious Charge' which features Cliff's acting debut (before Summer Holiday & The Young Ones etc).   It's been on Talking Pictures a couple of times and is a typical serious, meaningful film with a message for young people of the time. (i.e. it looks really dated now).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Doll_(song)#:~:text="Living Doll" was written for the film Serious Charge.

Its other claim to fame is that Cliff sings "Livin Doll' in it.   

• Like 2

Me ? now!!!  I like Doris Day I could sit and listen all day her singing the one I Like  best is Sentimental journey.     Just a few notes I am really sad today as I put a post on with new singers and all I seem to get  is one member who sends a reply  that's   BK    now I know what you are saying  OH!!! Take no notice of her she's just mardy.

Lovely song.........just right for Nottstalgia......even happy memories have a tinge of sadness as you grow older.......

• Like 3

Loved the 'Tremeloes''

Like ''Del-boy''''.......got an old friend named 'Brian Poole''.....always ask him ''are you still with the ''Tremeloes''?

• Like 3

Great name.......lovely sound.........

This is Maurice White the founder...lead singer and Drummer.......sadly passed away with PD...a few years ago......

Full screen a must........

Old Patrick.......dead leary wern't he..........

Sat at his table on the'' isle of Man''........:biggrin:

Sorry..should have been on ''Dance Duck''

• Like 3

Playing Cricket for Padstow against a school in Broxtowe in the late 50s....the cricket ground was surrounded by houses..one of which was playing this song.very loudly....one of their Lads was hit on the head with the Ball.and got carried off while this song..was still playing...:biggrin:.......

• Like 3

Once again, I love this song …. Always remember it playing loudly on the Waltzers at Goosefair.  Also I remember playing this record on a Dansette on Woodthorpe Park, where a big group of us met on summer evenings to jive and generally act like teenagers with not a care in the world and our whole lives stretching out in front of us…..

How is it that I can remember this so clearly even after 60-odd years….. I

i can even feel the buzz of excitement I felt as I walked down to meet them all

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I was only 8 in '57, but the song always reminds me of hearing it at the annual kids Christma Party at the Deerstalker pub at the bottom of our street.

@MargieHyou’ve mentioned your Dansette on Woodthorpe Park before, did you plug it in somewhere?  I had one in my bedroom, plugged in.  Really annoyed my parents dancing up there too ……. Mum enjoyed my music but my Dad was very much a Bing Crosby fan! 

@LizzieM  The Dansette belonged to my friend Hilary and no, it wasn’t plugged in anywhere!  It must have been battery operated?  I never took much notice of it - as long as I could listen to the music that  was all I was interested in.  It might have even been a different brand of record player?

11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

A bit before my time too but it was the beginning of the teen revolution which really took off for my age group as a mid-60s teenage Mod!  Fabulous memories.  

Where would we be without Music.hey Lizzie....my love of it started in the 50s.......listening to Mam and all her sisters........then came Elvis..Cliff and all the American stars....Sport and music were my two great loves...along with Girls and Dancing......amazing how we all recall the words from songs of more than 60 years ago.......life just wouldnt have been the same without Song and Dance........

Now pushing 80.....i still play my music for at least an hour most days...to say nowt of a little ''JIG'' around the room.....:)

Oh what i'd give for one more Tuesday night down 'Locarno''......

Wanna Dance Duck  ?

• Like 1

Musically I’ve gone full circle.

When I was young, my dad had a collection of classical/light music LPs which I used to play. That was my musical background and training, and as I got older I developed my own taste in all kinds of modern rock/progressive/alternative/etc etc.

Now in recent years I’ve stopped paying attention to most ‘modern’ music and gone back to the classical things (+ more) which I knew in my young days.

But I still can’t stand classical singing/operatic arias etc, where the soloist - male or female - screeches and bawls in an incomprehensible language.