• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

12 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

ONE of some great works by Tony Bryne on Facebook.......called 'Stay a while''

His works very much remind me of the mining village that I grew up in. Wish I could afford one of the prints.

• Like 1

Oz are you able to pm me an email address or 'whatsapp' mobile number. I may be able to help.

Screenshot-20240101-000147-Chrome.jpg

Just been to Norway with The Kilkennys (on u-tube)  Davey lead singer was doing the best to get the crowd singing, the Kilkenny's sing Irish Folk song's. If you like that kind of music then take a look at them. Just another good Irish group are  Drops of Green. 

ps  Davey and the group in the end did get the people to join in, and they enjoyed the singing.

Just love Scotland and Glasgow in Particular.........Whilst working and staying up there.......i used to visit a Music Bar''  cant remember its name in the centre of Glasgow.......customers took their own instruments...could be anything really...Guitar..Trumpet..Saxaphone..even an Acordian (sp) and entertained everyone with them......got on great with the locals who told me Billy Connelly and Gerry Raferty played there in their younger days.... A group of musicians in a bar sit around a table with pints and play a range of instruments, including fiddles and guitars.

3 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Just love Scotland and Glasgow in Particular.......got on great with the locals who told me Billy Connelly and Gerry Raferty played there in their younger days.... 

You may or may not know that before they both became better known, Connelly and Rafferty were in a group called The Humblebums.

• Like 1

No Kev didnt know about the ''Humblebums''.......liked both Billy and Gerry Rafferty.....who was originally from Paisley..........another place i have fond memories of.....but i won't bore you with.....unless someone insists......:)

Paisley was the site of the famous ‘snail in the ginger beer bottle case’. Donoghue v Stevenson. This dates back to 1928 but anyone who has studied law will remember this. It would take some time to elucidate so look it up if you’re interested.

I have this Humblebums song on a compilation album I bought over 50 years ago.

• Like 1

Nice song written by Cole Porter in the 30s....and sung here by the Late Gary Shearston'''

Used to get a kick from many drinks........but mere alcohol doesnt thrill me no more.......My first was a drop of ''Shippo's......and last was a ''whisky and Coke''.........tried the weed but that was the 60s....and not really got into it...

• Like 1

I get no kick from champagne.

Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all,

So I thought I'd try Shipstone's brew...

And then spent the night on the loo!  :blink:

Yes, Izal get a kick out of you.

With apologies to whoever penned the original lyrics.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Nice song written by Cole Porter in the 30s....and sung here by the Late Gary Shearston'''

A great version of a great song. I had that on a single when it wasn't cool to like such things.

• Like 1

just found this on U-Tube  i just like it 

Liam o' Conner & Mike Denver 

This story I tell you is true.

Mary, you got me listening to some of my old Irish favourites.

This.. The Bothy Band playing 'The Blackbird', as a slow air, a set dance and a reel.

The slow air, has the hairs up on the back of my neck and reminds me of Sunday Nights at the folk club in St Helens when my pal John Murphy would play it on his pipes and have us spellbound.

YouTube says 2003, but it's much earlier than that. I bought my copy of The Star of Sunday's Well from Donal at his gig at Maghull Folk Club sometime in the late 70s.

Cheers for the feedback DJ360 have a lot at the Celtic ladies i just found them by chance.  also Derek Warfielo and the Young Tones  all though have not heard any thing about this group for quite a while.                                                                                                                Have you been to Ireland to the fest end week in Jan in Dublin. Went with my daughter in law a few times not due to h''ummm age/mobility cannot manage to go.

No doubt philmayfield will recall that subsequent to Donoghue v Stevenson the case of Grant v Australian Knitting Mills (1935) concerned chemicals left in woollen underpants by the manufacturer.   Compare and contrast.

The world and its Wars and Weather...........unbelievable....

• Like 3

Magic song from the early 80s........first heard it in Peterborough over 40 years ago...how time flies............

Love the words   and were very relevant at the time............... 

Still not had a ''Pina Colada''. though..........     

I was listening to radio Nottingham this morning, they were interviewing a chap called Philip from Bleasby about his flooded garden. He sounded a bit familiar somehow.