Not seen this before, a remastered live Beatles concert in Washington, the first one after appearing on Ed Sullivan. 

The beginning is almost comically amateurish as the screaming audience are on all 4 sides of the stage and Ringo sits with his back to the band !

First Ringo and then Paul try and rotate the drum stage with no luck.

This rotation of the drum set and mikes goes on throughout and with the way Ringo was bashing those drums (but still holding the rhythm), it's a wonder the kit held together.

George opens with Roll Over Beethoven.

It's a wonderful film that encapsulates early Beatlemania and marvelous that with such basic equipment the vocals still sound great . Macca does all the intros and considering the conditions does a rousing Long Tall Sally finale.  

• Like 5
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

It's greatly to their credit that they could still perform in such embarrassingly bad conditions.

A good demonstration of how pop music was treated in those days. The programme and organisation was in the hands of middle-aged men in suits who had no idea or understanding of what was happening.

• Like 3

Can't believe Carly is now 80 years old...........did the rounds with a few boy-friends in her time........but never fully admitted who this song was really about.......nice voice and seems a lovely Lady........

• Like 1

Think the word ''Legend'' is very over-used........but not in the case of Gerry...

To me he is a true sound of Liverpool.........

I believe this song by them made number one in the states.......sadly i think all the original 'Pacemakers'..have all left us now along with 'Gerry''.......but in my mind they are all still ''Ferrying'' across the Mersey.......

Edit full screen excellent...

• Like 2

Mam and Dad used to take me to the Pictures on a regular basis..when i was growing up......and this was one the first films i saw......(at the Mechanics)  about 1954.........fell in love with Audrey....:rolleyes: 

Ah, Audrey is one of my favourite people, ever.  As a child and teenager, my sister looked very like her. I got heartily sick of people telling my mother how pretty she was!

There was a special aura about Audrey. For anyone who cares to look into her background, she did not have an easy life and suffered horrors during the war years when she and many others almost starved to death. 

• Like 1

So many songs/records back in the 60s were just pleasant to listen to...

Happy people playing nice music and dancing with a smile.......we were so relaxed ..........easy to chat to and always ready for a dance........a refusal didnt matter you just moved on...you knew you would be lucky before the night was over....:rolleyes:

edit..........full screen a must....

• Like 2

People of a certain age might remember "Let's Go to San Francisco' by the Flowerpot Men in 1967, who were just a group of session musicians. They recorded a few other songs but none were successful. One was 'In a Moment of Madness'...which was later released by White Plains...although it was the same people.  I'd forgotten how good it was.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

..... who remembers this Animals

And to make it on-topic the opening picture of the video,  shows Dave Rowberry (2nd from right) who took over keyboard after Alan Price left the band. 

Dave was my elder brother's school pal at Henry Mellish and they formed a skiffle band from there.

He either lived on Roseleigh Ave or Fernleigh Ave,  Mapperley can't remember which.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I remember that, but it's not one which comes to mind when anyone mentions The Animals.

The Animals are touring in their Farewell Tour in Australia during May and will be at The Gov in Adelaide on 28th.

John Steel, one of the original band members along with Danny Handley, Bobby Ruiz and Barney (Boogie) Williams.

The Gov is a pub on the fringe of the CBD that is one of Adelaide's best live music venues.

Photo The Adelaide Review

The Gov gains a $300k lifeline, as live music as we knew it remains a  distant pipedream – The Adelaide Review

• Like 1

I love this from Karolina........watchout for my Granddaughter.....another lookalike ..........

• Like 3

Love the little girl.  My Granddaughter used to be like that whenever there was music.  Obviously she's far too sophistcated now.. she's eight!  :laugh:

This is my fave Animals song.  And one that members Burdon and Price wrote.

I could imagine that being originally written by the likes of Bukka White ( who I believe preferred to be called Booker..)

Dig!

And just to lighten things up a bit.. a song which always makes me think of spring, but only because he mentions 'Home Thoughts From Abroad'.. 'now that April's there...'

• Like 3
On 4/18/2024 at 12:17 PM, benjamin1945 said:

So many songs/records back in the 60s were just pleasant to listen to...

Happy people playing nice music and dancing with a smile.......we were so relaxed ..........easy to chat to and always ready for a dance........a refusal didnt matter you just moved on...you knew you would be lucky before the night was over....

edit..........full screen a must....

Ben I've seen that vid many times.  May have even posted it here myself. It's wonderful and that young lady can certainly dance, but it's not original. It was made in 1975.. a good ten years after Rick Derringer's band The Mc Coys had their original hit.

Here's the real story.. The girl is called Lisa Leonard Dalton and was hired to dance to the tune in C 1975, a good ten years after the original hit.  Also look at Rick Derringer's hair. no way it would have been that long in 1964 or whenever.

There are various videos out there explaining it all but they have something in them which this site doesn't like so it won't let me post them.  Try searching 'Sloopy Girl Dancer'

https://qzvx.com/2021/09/20/deconstructing-a-myth-sloopy-girl-lisa-leonard-dalton/

• Like 1
On 4/17/2024 at 6:07 PM, benjamin1945 said:

.fell in love with Audrey..

Who didn't?

On 4/18/2024 at 12:32 PM, Cliff Ton said:

People of a certain age might remember "Let's Go to San Francisco' by the Flowerpot Men in 1967, who were just a group of session musicians. They recorded a few other songs but none were successful. One was 'In a Moment of Madness'...which was later released by White Plains...although it was the same people.  I'd forgotten how good it was.

Thing is Kev..there was so much amazing and varied music around at the time, the bar was very high and even excellent songs could sink without trace..

On 4/14/2024 at 12:12 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Can't believe Carly is now 80 years old...........did the rounds with a few boy-friends in her time........but never fully admitted who this song was really about.......nice voice and seems a lovely Lady........

Carly is a very attractive lady and had some rather 'arresting' album covers back in the day.  I recently bought a five album 'retrospective' and to be honest, she is/was a fairly average singer, who came from a very wealthy family.

https://www.classicrockhistory.com/top-10-carly-simon-album-covers/

• Like 1

Thanks for all that Col..........Sloopy girl...Magic...........

• Like 1

Arnold to Adelaide!

Thanks to t'internet, plenty of good music to listen to both old and new and from musicians/vocalists all over the world. Most use digital audio software now which is so advanced that professional recording quality can be achieved from even a small home studio although computer as well as musical knowledge is now a requisite.

Here's an example from a very talented covers band/group in Adelaide performing a 70's song co-written by Graham Russell of Arnold. Look out for Charlie Drake on guitar!!

• Like 1